Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #61   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Default Re: mentalguy

Alright, so I gave up on coding and went with editor tricks instead, got eruptor working so currently it has 4 attacks; Ugh Zan's Fireball Breath, Exotech Larva's Plasma, Kukulkan's Wind Blast, and Harpy's Magic Shot. The first 3 will fire randomly in 360 degree angle, maybe I'll change the timing once I know how. The Magic Shot is what I'm planning to use as an attack that follows the player, but since the Eruptor is so slow it might not be worth it.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #62   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
I gave up on coding

Sounds like a fun boss, though.

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #63   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Current (lack of) progress:

https://i.imgur.com/oKq8lui.png

Wish I could do a lot more, but at least here's something to give you guys an idea what this is about.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #64   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Wow nice so far!!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #65   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Finally done with all the attacks! Here's a screenshot of how Mentalguy is right now:

https://i.imgur.com/PPjy9wD.png

A grand total of 23 Eruptors were used! Its Water Elemental's bomb attack is not shown here though, because it doesn't fire as often as the others. Still, with the attacks done now, I can finally move on to the harder part: stage building.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #66   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Why is it so dark, can't see shit If you were too lazy to place light entities, at least turn full bright mode on
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #67   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

The darkness is to emphasize the beauty of the Eruptors. But I tried it again with lights now, and the eruptors seem less pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/wo668L0.jpg

This is the 6th time I ran into the same wall now. I can't make Mental fire his projectiles within the test tube without letting my projectiles go in. I don't know if I should continue, because this just doesn't work and I don't want to stray too far from the concept of "psychic dude doing elemental attacks in the test tube".

This sucks.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #68   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Maybe you can move the eruptors outside the test tube and make the test tube walls solid? I doubt it will be that easy to notice that the projectiles are not spawning inside. Or maybe you can make it a one-sided wall, so that its only solid from the outside, and place a separate one-sided slightly smaller one inside thats not solid, just for visuals. Not sure if this would work but I think it should.

Last edited by God Of Gaming; 04-25-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #69   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Yeah, but how do I do a one-sided wall? It's the thing I've been trying to do, but can't.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #70   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Well, when you make the new primitive cylinder, dont add it to the existing world base, join it as a new world base, and then join another slightly smaller one inside with room flag on as an yet another world base. Then you can probably make the inside cylinder not solid so that its just for looks, but keep the outside cylinder solid, and since its one-sided, projectiles from inside will probably pass just fine.... Actually now that I think about it they probably also need to be moving brushes so that you can set them to take damage? Ah, this is getting a bit complicated
Old 04-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #71   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

The problem is being one-sided. How do I do that? If it's solid, projectiles will hit it. Or would you want to try out the map yourself? I'm getting desperate here.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #72   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Well, is this not what you wanted? Or I understood wrong? As far as I understand, you want mentalguy to float in a transparent cylindrical pipe, and to attack you with projectiles from inside, but when you shoot him from outside you want your attacks to hit the pipe, not pass trough?

Actually after some more thought, you can proably only have one sided cylindrical brush that will stop your projectiles but pass his projectiles, and set it to invisible so its just a collision box, and make a no-collision 3d model to place inside for visuals, thats probably the best solution.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #73   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Yes, but how do I make that one sided cylindrical brush? Because I can't find such an option. I don't know what you mean by all that setting it invisible or what, because right now the problem is making the brush one-sided.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #74   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Well, its already one sided when you place it by default, it will only become two-sided if you place another one with room flag on inside it to make its insides hoillow.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #75   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

What? It blocks every projectiles if it's placed with default settings. By the way, how do I make a perfect cylinder? I make it by making a cube primitive with 128 or so vertices, but it repeats texture. Is there a one-sided ModelHolder instead?

Also, how do I do vertex clipping? I know you do it by selecting vertices then press something, but I don't know which vertices to select or what to click.

EDIT: Which one looks better? Glass or no glass?

https://i.imgur.com/IcqCB1v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1kJIr3g.jpg

imo no glass looks better because it doesn't mess up the Harpy's projectiles, but then it would look like open space instead of clear glass.

Last edited by PikaCommando; 04-26-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #76   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

The glass looks slightly more realistic and cooler.. but im not sure thats just my opinion..
Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #77   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

I prefer top image. I think Buzzy is confused.

Quote:
Well, its already one sided when you place it by default, it will only become two-sided if you place another one with room flag on inside it to make its insides hollow
My interpretation: Have your world base with an open gap between the top and bottom tubes. Add a cylinder to a new worldbase. Spawn projectiles *inside* this new worldbase. They should be able to pass through. Finally, and a third worldbase, slightly smaller dimensions, with the 'Room' checkbox active. This functions as the other side of the glass.

Also, to answer your question: There is no real 'perfect cylinder' - think of it at the atomic scale, it would be bumpy. IMHO a 6/8 sided cylinder is mucher cooler and would probably perform a lot better. There's a shortcut you can use (can't remember it though, has been years since I used SED) to make a polygon's texture continue onto the next polygon. Perhaps ask someone who used it more recently?

Additionally, change these textures. They look weird.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jetroid; 04-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #78   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

Evil Face
Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #79   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

At first I was like:

Are you Buzzy now?

And then I scrolled up and realised.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #80   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetroid View Post
Additionally, change these textures. They look weird.
Those are placeholder textures, I plan on putting on proper textures once I'm done with the core effects of the maps (eruptors and destruction, among others). Anyway, here's an idea of how the finished map will look like:

http://i.imgur.com/9t0SUQ4.png

I know the windows edge face texture is still unaligned properly, but I'm too lazy to go through all the trouble of using texture cutter then aligning them to the edge after 4 hours of work on other stuff. Maybe next time, once I'm actually fucking done with the core effects.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #81   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

That actually looks fairly amazing.

The only thing I'd change would be the area, actually. I think a flat area wouldn't be great for gameplay.

I'd consider excavating the floor and making a whole big section underneath this guy kind of like in the Cold Cold Heart DLC fight from Arkham Origins.

Oh, and alter that floor texture. Blow it up a lot bigger to reduce the noticeable tiling/aliasing, and then add two detail textures to it.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #82   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
That actually looks fairly amazing.

The only thing I'd change would be the area, actually. I think a flat area wouldn't be great for gameplay.

I'd consider excavating the floor and making a whole big section underneath this guy kind of like in the Cold Cold Heart DLC fight from Arkham Origins.

Oh, and alter that floor texture. Blow it up a lot bigger to reduce the noticeable tiling/aliasing, and then add two detail textures to it.
Unfortunately my skills aren't good enough for a big trouble like that, especially now that the foundation has been set. The fight will be mostly evading eruptors, activating the computer, kill enemies that spawns once you activated the computer, wait for computer to restart before activating it again, rinse and repeat, so no room for Batman stuff. However I was considering adding pools of water/lava to spawn Elementals from.

I guess by blowing it up you mean stretching, but what do you mean by adding detail textures? What would that change, for example?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #83   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Blow Up => Stretching

And detail textures... I mean, you know how you can add 3 (I think, haven't used SED1 in a long time) textures to the same polygon? Add two of the detail textures there so that when you look at the inflated (stretched) texture it doesn't look so blurry.

And regarding the batman stuff, I meant the fact that there are mini-trenches beneath the main area. Watch the video to see what I mean.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #84   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Blow Up => Stretching

And detail textures... I mean, you know how you can add 3 (I think, haven't used SED1 in a long time) textures to the same polygon? Add two of the detail textures there so that when you look at the inflated (stretched) texture it doesn't look so blurry.

And regarding the batman stuff, I meant the fact that there are mini-trenches beneath the main area. Watch the video to see what I mean.
Can you give me an example of a detail texture? I just added the original size as texture 2 while texture 1 is stretched. Still not much difference though.

Yes, I already watched the video. I just don't think the trenches will work out, don't forget the Elemental's melee are hax-ranged and powerful. It would be unfair to be surrounded by them, thus the open space. Bland, sure, but effective.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #85   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Detail textures -> Anything in the \Detail\ folder.
I can't believe I had to download and open up the editor to tell you that.
For example 1_1 Palenque -> TexturesMP\Detail\Concrete01.tex

How about something like this, then?

Anything to make it not just be "dodge stuff on a flat floor". (And the idea of trenches was to give the player cover from his attacks - maybe have enemies spawn down there to discourage the player though. )

Maybe trenches that are like in the map Red Station (but not as deep?)
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #86   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Uh, excuse the double post, but something like this could *really* work, in my opinion. Making use of the hovering/bobbing/moving bouncepads could be a really good way of making this fight really interesting.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #87   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Thanks for your concern and time in MS Paint, but it just really wouldn't work the way I plan it to. The jump pads up there are taken by Eruptors already, so you would be jumping into death. Also there's no space behind the brain jar. (the map is smaller than you think, it's about the size of the bridge in 2fort)

Mental's "attacks" are just Eruptors in the air firing in a random direction while Lava Golems attack once in a while. The goal of the boss fight is to press E at the computer 4 times, with a 1 minute cooldown as well as enemy spawns each press. This kind of fight imo is best on a flat zone with no elevations.

Trenches will really spell death for the player, because Lava Golems' melee have oddly long ranges as well as being powerful. I'm tired now, maybe I'll start work on the map again next week or something.

In the meantime, enjoy how the map looks like from the other side (entry doors to be added in later, since I still don't know how to use movable brushes and vertex cutting):

http://i.imgur.com/OIYlx87.jpg
Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #88   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Alright, I'm done with the map. Done, as in fuck this shit.

https://i.imgur.com/FimucPb.png

Download here.
Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=454378796

This is for Serious Sam Revolution only. Put the .gro in the Workshop folder.

It's an unfinished WIP, and has a quite a lot of problems such as explosions clipping through the brain jar and killing Mental, the level does not have an end point, etc

Last edited by PikaCommando; 06-11-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #89   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Just played it, not bad at all. Why don't you keep working on it?

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 07-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #90   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Maybe one day when I'm better at mapping, which is who knows when.