Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

Default Deus Ex: HR (compare PC game to Xbox game)

Ok, I want to play Deus Ex: HR soon, and I was wondering if I should get it on the xbox. I always liked the controls better on the PC, but after my last bad experience of constant crashes all throughout Fallout NV, I was thinking of just getting if on xbox, since I have already read reviews where people are talking about having those same issues of crashing to the desktop, that I have already been experiencing all along with FO: NV.

One thing I noticed with Xbox, is that it is notorius for making games with no manual saves, and only checkpoint saves, (ie Halo games, Alan Wake, Tron, etc).
I FREAKING hate that! If you screw up, or just want to go back to an earlier point in the game, you are screwed. Think that is more exlusive to the MS/Xbox made games, though, not sure.
At least, Dead Space 2 had 20 save slots. I believe that is what you got on the PC version of the original game. That is ok, but the more saves I can get, the better I like it. Heck, I like to be the one to save HDD space, by deleting them myself if ever necessary, don't need them to save space for me.

Anyhow, anyone here play Deus EX: HR on the Xbox? If so, how many save slots are available. Also, for PC gamers, how many save slots does the PC version have?

Seen the graphics for it on the XBox, and it looks pretty good, even better than the PS3, so that is fine, but how do the controls handle, you know, the feel of the game? I still am no where near as good at aiming with my thumb on the box, as I am with a mouse on the PC.

I am just wanting to get some feedback from both PC, and Xbox gamers, that have played (or are playing now) the game, to get an idea which platform I want to play it on. I would really appreciate any and all input about how the game performs, any bugs, glitches, or crashes you had, performance, feel, and overall gameplay. If you have played on both, what is your preference?

Thanks for any input, advice, or just observations. Thanks. Just like some opinions and info to help me decide what to get.

AS

"Get out of here Stalker!... Get out of here Stalker!"
Old 11-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Default Re: Deus Ex: HR (compare PC game to Xbox game)

I prefer use FPS on PC.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I just finished DX: HR last night. My system is well below recommended specs, it ran very well and it never crashed but it did slow down during some cutscenes. Ended up with about 30 different manual saves so I assume you can make virtually unlimited manual saves. Interface is excellent but there are some design decisions they could have handled differently (when you're in the shopping screen you can't use the WASD keys to move between the options; there are points in the game, perhaps during a certain alarm state, where you can't quicksave the game but you can manual save).
The cover system felt awkward to use at first but I quickly came to grips with it. There may be some graphical glitches if you use takedowns in places with too many objects or that are too narrow. There is one side mission that may not update after you complete the objective (reading a personal secretary) but there are ways around this. I created a few manual saves during the first boss fight and trying to load the last of them crashed the game. There is one particular, efficient way of handling the first 3 boss fights so you may not even need to save during the fight (an autosave is created beforehand also).
Also, the game creates autosaves at certain points and keeps the previous autosave as backup. Difficulty can be changed on the fly, but if you are going for the achievement of finishing the game on the hardest difficulty, do not touch the difficulty setting afterwards as doing so cost me the achievement.
I hope all this helps.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I played Deus Ex: HR from day one, I finished the game twice in a month, and I've had zero crashes to desktop. Make sure your drivers are up to date, install the latest DirectX redist and enjoy. The gameplay is very solid, I didn't really encounter any major bugs or glitches, graphics or gameplay wise.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 11-22-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

There is an 100 save limit on PC. Yes I reached it on my second playthrough... After that you have to overwrite them.

I've never had the game crash; didn't even know that happened until you mentioned it...

Edit: Oh, and I think changing difficulty only affects achievements if you LOWER it. In my first playthrough I upped it to the last level after playing on Hard most of the game; when I finished I received the achievement for completing the game on hard.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Would like to hear from others.
So far, it sounds like the PC version has most of the bad kinks out of it. I know it has been out a while, so probably already has a patch or two out, but I never had the fix for Fallout NV, so I am still leary.

Also, even though I am better with the PC controls over the Xbox, I am leaning toward getting the Xbox version. A little more practice with the controller can't hurt, and I rather enjoy being able to kick back in my PC chair with the Xbox's wireless controller, so much more comfortable than leaning at the PC desk to use the mouse/keyboard.

Hope to hear from any Xbox owners who have played or is playing Deus Ex HR.
Thanks.
AS

Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Slayer View Post
I know it has been out a while, so probably already has a patch or two out, but I never had the fix for Fallout NV, so I am still leary.
Bear in mind that Fallout: NV was developed by Obsidian, the guys who made Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, and a host of other horribly buggy games.

edit: It's 5:00 in the morning. What're you doing up?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Alpha Protocol is pretty neat once you get over the buggy side, and I have a friend who only played kotor 2 and was deeply impressed. So I guess Obsidian folks aren't that bad, they just have to manage their time better and manage to solve all those pesky bugs...
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Brute, we're talking about game breaking bugs like AS is experiencing with Fallout: NV. Alpha Protocol is only buggy in gameplay (and not nearly as bad as people make you believe) due to rushed development because of executive meddling. So technically the game is very solid.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
So technically the game is very solid.
Double check: Are you still talking about Alpha Protocol?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

My Steam library says I have played 44 hours in Alpha Protocol. Crashes: none. It even handles alt+tab like a champ. So yeah, the engine is as solid as they come, it's the gameplay that has some bugs here and there. Have you actually played AP yourself?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
My Steam library says I have played 44 hours in Alpha Protocol. Crashes: none. It even handles alt+tab like a champ. So yeah, the engine is as solid as they come, it's the gameplay that has some bugs here and there. Have you actually played AP yourself?
Only for 40 minutes or so. But those 40 minutes were quite the trip.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

I think most of the gameplay bugs can be found early on. At least that's how I remember it. The main stealth ability is completely broken until you upgrade it a good bunch.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Bear in mind that Fallout: NV was developed by Obsidian, the guys who made Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, and a host of other horribly buggy games.

edit: It's 5:00 in the morning. What're you doing up?
If that was over the weekend, (and I think it was), then I was probably still up playing. I was playing Dead Space 2 real late over the weekend. Sometimes, when I get a day or two off, I stay up all night long and go to bed when the sun comes up, LOL.
AS

Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_Vasile View Post
I think most of the gameplay bugs can be found early on. At least that's how I remember it. The main stealth ability is completely broken until you upgrade it a good bunch.
FUN FACT: Levels were never planned around Stealth. That's why you can't sneak around like you'd expect.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

The best way to play the game is a mix of stealth and run and gun. You can play large portions with only stealth if you're patient enough, but in this game it's not a bad thing if you're seen, it's not Splinter Cell where you die after a few shots.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about Alpha Protocol or Deus Ex: HR? Because I've played 99% of DX:HR stealthy without being seen.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

I think it's pretty clear that he's talking about Alpha Protocol.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear that he's talking about Alpha Protocol.
It's obviously not as obvious to me as there's no obvious quotation, so it's obviously not obvious that he's obviously referring to Alpha Protocol.

Indubitable.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Obviously, you make a good point. But... /I didn't ask for this.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

It's okay. My posts are augmented.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

C'mon, hasn't anyone here on the forums played Deus Ex: HR on the X-box?
I know a lot of gamers on here have the Xbox. I would really like to hear comments from someone, or more people, who has played it on there, how the game compares to the PC version.
Thanks
AS

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
C'mon, hasn't anyone here on the forums played Deus Ex: HR on the X-box?
I know a lot of gamers on here have the Xbox. I would really like to hear comments from someone, or more people, who has played it on there, how the game compares to the PC version.
Thanks
AS
I have an Xbox for the sole reason that Ninja Gaiden is not available on the PC.
and Dead or Alive

If you're not taking the hint yet, I'll lay it out: given the choice, no one here would prefer an Xbox copy of a game over a PC version.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Especially Deus Ex But then again I don't have an xbox... (Although if I did, the PC version would still be cheaper, so no sale.)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

If your rig has the power to handle Deus Ex: HR, then get it for the PC. Why bother with an inferior version then? If it's the controls, you can either use mouse/keyboard, or hook up a 360 controller.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Discy, AS did mention that he is considering the xbox version because of PC crash issues. As I probably mentioned before, I've never really had such issues, but a PC experience from a stability point of view can be very subjective, depending on whatever setup you're running who knows what particular issues might arise.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Discy, AS did mention that he is considering the xbox version because of PC crash issues. As I probably mentioned before, I've never really had such issues, but a PC experience from a stability point of view can be very subjective, depending on whatever setup you're running who knows what particular issues might arise.
Xboxes are pretty shifty, unreliable hardware, too. What works on one may not work on the next, even though in theory they're the same hardware.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Like I said in my first post, I played the PC version 44 hours from day one release, and I haven't encountered a single crash. Adding up that the game has been patched in the meantime, that's better than the average PC game. As long as the software is up to date and the game is updated there should be no problems.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

Yeah, I know most gamers here are pretty much PC gamers, but I was just wondering the prospective of playing from the xbox. It can be a more relaxing position being able to kick back in the chair with a wireless controller over bent over the keyboard. And after seeing the graphics compared to the PC version, didn't see a lot of diff there. Of course, am and probably always will be more partial to using the keyboard and mouse over a console controller. Not only just from being old school pc gamer, but also there is just more and better control, and the fact of being able to set up the keyboard configuration the way you like, whereas the xbox controller is very limited.

Quote:
THIS, like Evil said, is my real and main concern. After the nightmare of crashes I have/had/been having with Fallout New Vegas, I am leary of getting more PC games. I have never experienced crashes with the xbox, but new pc games in the last few years seem to be plagued with crashes, bugs and glithces, and always have to be patched. That is why the last couple of years, I don't even buy the game when it is new anymore, but try to wait 6 months or so if I can to wait for all the bugs to be ironed out in new patch releases. I got tired of being the tester guinea pig for what is wrong on the new game releases. Maybe xbox has them too, I don't know, as I have only played a half dozen or more games on it, but so far, no problems.

Quote:
If your rig has the power to handle Deus Ex: HR, then get it for the PC. Why bother with an inferior version then? If it's the controls, you can either use mouse/keyboard, or hook up a 360 controller.
Didn't know you could use an xbox controller at the pc, but I have seen something called a XIM3 that you can use to get a keyboard and mouse to setup and work playing the xbox with a KB and mouse. Thought about getting it, since I do prefer KB/mouse for shooters, so I wouldn't even think about wanting to use the controller at my pc in place of kb/mouse. The only advantage is being able to kick back in the chair, and that is not the type of game you want to relax at anyhow.
As far as my rig, it should still be beefy enough to play this game. I just built it about a year and a half ago. Think my specs are still in my profile, hadn't looked since the site here was hacked.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my PC, I haven't had any other problems other than FO: NV crashes, but that is the last PC game I have played though. Still, it didn't seem to be a heat issue as I learned to spot those from earlier vid cards in the past. Whenever I got a crash, it would just spontaneously crash to the desktop for no apparent reason, and randomly. Could play for an hour or two sometimes, (maybe not even crash during the session), or maybe crash 30 seconds after starting the game, and sometimes have crash after crash. Never seen any of the heat related artifacts or distortions, and always got fluid frame rates.
I tried everything, and read a few others had the same problems, and tried all their fixes and suggestions, and never found out the cause. Of course, I am an old gamer, so I already know to do all the obvious things like DLing the latest game patches, updating my vid drivers, making sure my pc and vid card are dust free, case well ventilated, sound drivers updated, blah, blah, blah.

Anyhow, Deus Ex I do believe is a game that really does need to be played on the pc to experience the way it was meant to be. In fact, I was reading that the developers made sure they had the pc totally in mind when they made it, as opposed to Deus Ex: Invisible War, which was a console game, ported to pc, and was not nearly as good.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. Think I will have to chance getting a pc version, but the thing I hate, is if you have problems with pc games, you can't really take them back because it is computer software with EULA crap, as opposed to xbox games that Game Stop lets you return or even resell. The only thing a pc store will do is exchange it, if like the disc is broken or something. If it just won't play right on your rig, you are screwed.

Thanks for listening and the help guys.
AS

Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
It can be a more relaxing position being able to kick back in the chair with a wireless controller over bent over the keyboard.
This is what you do:
1. Go to the store
2. But an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (USB chord)
3. Plug it into your PC
4. Magically watch as it auto-maps and syncs to almost every PC game released in the past 5 years
5. Plays said games with controller like you're on an Xbox
Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

He's not kidding. I got a USB dongle that connects any Xbox 360 controller to the PC if you press the sync button. I kick my feet up and chill.