Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > The Talos Principle > The Talos Principle Workshop

The Talos Principle Workshop The official forum for The Talos Principle projects, be it maps, mods, or anything else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default Linking a script variable to an entity

Hello!
I have a problem with linking entities to script variables. I have copied and pasted a door, script and switch from a Talos game level in my one level and it works fine.
But if for example if i delete the switch to use another one, excatly the same switch, i can figure it out how to link it to the script.

I know how to link targets with Ctrl Alt LMB for other stuff but for scripts it doesn't work. I tried everything without success, maybe i'm just missing something or there is a bug in the editor.

If someone could be kind enough to explain in details how to do it, it would make my day!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Linking a script variable to an entity

Click on the Script entity and press E, to open the script.

Then select the entity you want to pair with a variable (colored words), press and hold ctrl+alt+shift+LMB and drag the entity onto the variable.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

OHH thank you for a so quick answer!, I didn't expect it as that part of the forum seems to be in a deep sleep.
I don't know if there is many people doing some editing for that game.

I'm in modding since 1998 and i've done mods for so many games, it's my favorite hobby.

I love that game and that editor, no so easy as there is amlost no help and it has not been done for beginners, just a few videos about Serious Sam 3 editing.

The main problem is that there are a lot of commands to know because the editor UI doesn't show them all.

For that linking, i was sure that there was someting like you showed me, i tried a lot of combinations but i guess i missed that one.
I had seen a video on youtube in italian where the guy said to drag the entity on the variable, but he didn't explain wich command to use.

It's always a problem when someone makes a tutorial, either they stay on very simple things or they use advanced ones without explaining in details.

As i'm learning that editor, i'm making some tutorials for everyone but mostly for me to remember how to do things as i'm getting old and my memory is not so good as it was.

My mother language is french so i have made some tutorials in that language, i will post the link soon when some parts will be ready.

I would take that occasion to thank you and your friends Mischievous and others for their video tutorials that helped me a lot!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes, there's definitely a problem with tutorials. Croteam is planning something to remedy that and I'm also part of that, so hopefully things will go better once that's done.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Great ! I have also checked the wiki, but it's almost as empty as the Gobi desert. A lot of links to "to do" pages.
I have made a lots of tutorials for other editors because it's always the same problem, you find a lot of beginner tutorials, but once you want to do more advanced things, there are just a very few people who have the knowledge and they mostly don't take time to share it.

As i'm a scientist, i studied nuclear physics, i always have been told to share what you learn, that how we can progress. If everyone keeps his little know how as a priceless secret we wont go very far.