Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Default [Exploration Map] Ancient Society

Well, my first map for Serious Sam 3.
It's an exploration map 'til I get around with the lua scripts, which seem to be
complete gibberish by now.

It's suppoused to be an ancient egyptian city, ruined by the quick expansion of sand dunes.

It's a pre-alpha.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?6oqhxan02lo02gx
To be opened with the editor.

Uhm, pics:
(Will be added later.)

IMO it's quite nice. I'd like to expand the city a bit more, yet I'm completly out of ideas.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: [Exploration Map] Ancient Society

Uh, you need to pack the lightmap too.
It's usually located in the same level folder as the level. In an "Lightmaps" folder. And should be named "Ancient Society.rsc"
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

If you need some scripting help, I might be able to give you some pointers.

As for the map, to be honest, I'll wait till alpha.
Though, Mischievous is right, you should add the lightmap and pack everything into a *.gro file (the in-built packager in the editor is good enough for this, but you may also use any standard *.zip archivator and just change the file extension. Editor can read from these archives alright). Also, look into creation of the *.nfo files, as without them you won't be able to launch the completed map in the real game
Old 04-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

So, there aren't any lights? well.

I honestly got no idea how to create a .gro file,
And I'd be happy if someone could help me clear things up with the scripts.
Maybe just explain the basics, the way lua works. (I'm fine with macro, yet I believe that won't help me much.)

Until then, I'd post a few pics:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2420/sshot0001.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6741/sshot0002.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4756/sshot0004.jpg

Well, that's it for now.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

No, these are lights, but they are produced with the use of the lightmap resource file (*.rsc in "/Lightmaps" folder), while you are letting us download only *.wld, which doesn't contain lighting on its own.

how to pack everything into *.gro? In editor go to file menu and click "Create .gro File" here. It will pack everything directly needed by the map into *.gro file, which will be located in "/SteamApps/common/serious sam 3/" folder.
Be warned that you will need to manually add *.nfo file and map-preview *.tex file into the archive, when you do the final deployment - these two aren't needed by the map directly, so editor won't pack them on its own. Just open the *.gro file you got with WinRar or something (it's just *.zip with different extension) and copy these two files into the same directory where your *.wld in the *.gro will be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scripts.... first, you will need to get some script entities onto your map (look for them under Logic directory in the EntityList).
Most objects form the map don't need special handlers and can be controlled from script as soon as you get them a corresponding variable there (Ctrl + Alt + Shift and drag the object onto the variable you're assigning to it in the script; if you are trying to control effects or just models (e.g. pillars) from script, you first will need to set them as controlled by "Game script" via Entity menu)
"." Gives you access to event-related properties (e.g. weapon.Picked for an weapon item), while ":" gives you access to object's modifier functions (e.g. monster:SpawnGroup() to spawn some enemies)
Since all of the scripts are ran in the sandbox, don't worry, and feel free to experiment.

As for how to code, see this article. If you need more complex scripts, look through the scripts on the official levels (you can open them) or ask me, though, for the beginning, this article should be enough.

EDIT: actually, the article I recommended you discusses some already rather complex script constructions. You may actually do the map with simpler scripts

Last edited by NHunter; 04-07-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Also pay attention what is in your gro file, because the editor's packer sometimes creates dupes of other files, and can screw up the game.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

For making .gros, you will also need to install Info-ZIP (http://www.info-zip.org). The editor doesn't have the archiver by default. Just download it, and place the "Zip.exe" in your Serious Sam 3 folder.
"Steam\steamapps\common\serious sam 3"

Edit: Uhhh. As all the download mirrors on that site seem to be offline or frozen, use this link to download the .exe
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/win32/zip232xn.zip

Last edited by Mischievous; 04-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHunter View Post
No, these are lights, but they are produced with the use of the lightmap resource file (*.rsc in "/Lightmaps" folder), while you are letting us download only *.wld, which doesn't contain lighting on its own.

how to pack everything into *.gro? In editor go to file menu and click "Create .gro File" here. It will pack everything directly needed by the map into *.gro file, which will be located in "/SteamApps/common/serious sam 3/" folder.
Be warned that you will need to manually add *.nfo file and map-preview *.tex file into the archive, when you do the final deployment - these two aren't needed by the map directly, so editor won't pack them on its own. Just open the *.gro file you got with WinRar or something (it's just *.zip with different extension) and copy these two files into the same directory where your *.wld in the *.gro will be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scripts.... first, you will need to get some script entities onto your map (look for them under Logic directory in the EntityList).
Most objects form the map don't need special handlers and can be controlled from script as soon as you get them a corresponding variable there (Ctrl + Alt + Shift and drag the object onto the variable you're assigning to it in the script; if you are trying to control effects or just models (e.g. pillars) from script, you first will need to set them as controlled by "Game script" via Entity menu)
"." Gives you access to event-related properties (e.g. weapon.Picked for an weapon item), while ":" gives you access to object's modifier functions (e.g. monster:SpawnGroup() to spawn some enemies)
Since all of the scripts are ran in the sandbox, don't worry, and feel free to experiment.

As for how to code, see this article. If you need more complex scripts, look through the scripts on the official levels (you can open them) or ask me, though, for the beginning, this article should be enough.

EDIT: actually, the article I recommended you discusses some already rather complex script constructions. You may actually do the map with simpler scripts

I see, thank you very much.

@Mischievious: Yup, I was going to ask about that, thank you.
But the editor doesn't seem to recognize it, is there an exact path of where it should be?

Oh, and I'll now start messing around with scripts, thanks for the help.

Last edited by GeNeRiC_DeTeCteD; 04-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

It should be in
"G:\Steam\steamapps\common\serious sam 3"
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

'kay, I got the a .gro file, yet I have no idea what should be in the .nfo file, and how am I suppoused to make a .tex file (as well what it should contain)
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

*.nfo files. As you might have guessed, they are needed for the game engine to recognize your level as the content it should show to the player. these files also have some information about the level, which is relevant to the end-player.

There are two types of the *.nfo files. the first one is used for the multi-level campaign folders (so that the engine shows them as a separate folder in menu) This *.nfo file must be located in the same directory with your campaign folder.

Code:
EPISODE
NAME="TTRS:Episode.<campaign folder name in *.gro>=<campaign name you want to be displayed in menu>"
THUMBNAIL="<the location of the *.tex file that is an icon for the campaign>"
For example, for my campaign "Approaching Hell" such *.nfo file will look like this:

Code:
EPISODE
NAME="TTRS:Episode.ApproachingHell=Approaching Hell"
THUMBNAIL="Content/SeriousSam3/Levels/ApproachingHell/Tower.tex"
Do note "TTRS:Episode" in "NAME". This is a standard message to engine for language-dependent content titles. If you skip adding this one, you might get some 'interesting' effects. Also, "TTRS:..." allows you to make it so that the name of the map/campaign will appear in native language to any player (or in default if you haven't made a translation file for that language).

But if you're making a single level and not the whole campaign, it's generally not advised to create a separate folder for it (make the map to be in /SeriousSam3/Z5_Other folder). It will still need the *.nfo file, but it will be now of the second type - level description *.nfo's. This *.nfo must be located in the same folder with the corresponding *.wld file.

Code:
LEVEL
NAME="TTRS:<map file name>.Name=<title you want to be displayed in menu>"
GAME_MODES="<list of game mode for which your map is suited. entries are separated with semi-colon>"
LOADING_SCREEN="<location of the *.tex file for loading screen; not really needed for SS3>"
THUMBNAIL="<location of the *tex file for the map thumbnail in level selection menu menu>"
ETA="<how much time, you estimate, is needed to complete the map. used as the base to calculate time bonus>"
LOCKED="<is the level accessible right away or does it need to be unlocked by completing some other level. if you are doing a campaing, at least one level's *.nfo should have this parameter set to 'NO'>"
TIMEBONUSMUL="<how much score added/subtracted depending on your time. in other words, this is time bonus coefficient>"
DLCID="<defines the game for which this level is>";
For example - once again from my campaign - the *.nfo file for the level will look like this:

Code:
LEVEL
NAME="TTRS:01_Slums.wld.Name=Forsaken Slums"
GAME_MODES="SinglePlayer; CooperativeStandard; Cooperative; CooperativeCoinOp; BeastHunt; TeamBeastHunt"
LOADING_SCREEN="Content/SeriousSam3/Levels/ApproachingHell/01_Slums/01_Slums.tex"
THUMBNAIL="Content/SeriousSam3/Levels/ApproachingHell/01_Slums/01_Slums.tex"
ETA="00:25:00"
LOCKED="No"
TIMEBONUSMUL="1"
DLCID="SeriousSam3";
-------------------------------------------------

How to make *.tex files for the icons? First, obviously, you should get the image you want as this icon. And you should have it in *.tga file format (use PhotoShop or some other app to convert the pic to TARGA format). Then, in SED3.5, go to "Texture" menu and choose "Create texture" option. Open your *.tga and press create. Now you have your *.tex file.

Last edited by NHunter; 04-11-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Thanks! really, you've helped me a lot!