Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #211   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Default Re: Message for Croteam: The ideal Multiplayer for Serious Sam 4

So crazy and busy that they made well just the Single Player of the BFE.
The Multiplayer was an evident and pathetic Drag&Drop from the Campaign, without engaging a minimum piece of their brain to realize it (despite fans requests).

I hope the new Serious Sam will born from a different mentality and level of engagement.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #212   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Different levels of interest, man. People like singleplayer and coop, and maybe less people enjoy versus. You gotta balance your best efforts into what the majority wants.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 04-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #213   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Different levels of interest, man. People like singleplayer and coop, and maybe less people enjoy versus. You gotta balance your best efforts into what the majority wants.
Aside from the fact that Serious Sam HD is still the most played Serious Sam thanks to the versus, and you seriously think the Single Player is so much over-preferred than the Versus?

Games like Serious Sam, where the Single Player is quite repetitive (monsters over monsters... kill monsters and kill monsters... over and over again, OVER AND OVER AGAIN) need a well done Multiplayer to get people interest.

I think people enjoy more challenging each other on a versus game, instead of starting a Cooperative Mode and killing enemies until you die.

I find the latter SUPER BORING (and that's why Multiplayer is still alive).

Games without a good multiplayer, by now, are boring. People want to compare themselves with other people.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #214   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It was kinda easier for SSHD. They just ported their maps from SS1/SSXbox. Also, they had more time, in a roundabout way.

Also, I often find versus boring. I like the level design and I like the gameplay design, that's why I studied and researched both, and continue to research them for my work. But doesn't change the fact that playing the same small arenas over and over, killing basically the same enemy with the the same potential capabilities as I am OVER AND OVER AGAIN is pretty boring to me. I rather play a campaign with lots of long levels and a story.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #215   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
It was kinda easier for SSHD. They just ported their maps from SS1/SSXbox. Also, they had more time, in a roundabout way.
Time? What time? Do they want to get money as soon as possible?

Quote:
But doesn't change the fact that playing the same small arenas over and over
The fact you play always the same arenas is a problem of Serious Sam, not of the Multiplayer Mode in general.

Serious Sam has 10 maps, quake 3 thousand. Not a problem of the Mode, but of the Game.

Quote:
killing basically the same enemy with the the same potential capabilities as I am OVER AND OVER AGAIN is pretty boring to me.
If the enemy has your same capabilities, play against another one you won't get bored with.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #216   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedamial View Post
The fact you play always the same arenas is a problem of Serious Sam, not of the Multiplayer Mode in general.

Serious Sam has 10 maps, quake 3 thousand. Not a problem of the Mode, but of the Game.
To be honest, most competitive FPS games are played on the same 5-10 maps over and over again, regardless of how many maps exist for the game. Quake falls into that category.

And there's a good reason for it. There aren't that many well balanced maps. And competitive players prefer to know every nook and cranny of the map they play so they can basically move around it blindfolded. The better you know the map, the easier it is to predict what your opponent will do and the easier it is to keep your crosshair on your opponent while staying in motion without risking hitting an obstacle in the chaos.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #217   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasser View Post
To be honest, most competitive FPS games are played on the same 5-10 maps over and over again, regardless of how many maps exist for the game. Quake falls into that category.

And there's a good reason for it. There aren't that many well balanced maps. And competitive players prefer to know every nook and cranny of the map they play so they can basically move around it blindfolded. The better you know the map, the easier it is to predict what your opponent will do and the easier it is to keep your crosshair on your opponent while staying in motion without risking hitting an obstacle in the chaos.
I play Quake, and the map being played aren't always the same.

Don't forget that Quake automatically downloads maps from the Workshop when I don't have them, thing that Serious Sam doesn't do yet
Old 04-09-2016, 03:29 AM   #218   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Time? What time? Do they want to get money as soon as possible?
Well yes, if they don't release a game for 4 years (the time between SS2 and SSHD:TFE), then obviously they would want money soon as possible, because they wouldn't have money to get food even. SSHD itself was actually made to get money so they can finish SS3, which was in development even before SSHD was made.

Quote:

If you own TFE and the DLC, SSHD got 19 DM maps. How many maps Quake 3 got by default? 20. That's VERY interesting considering SSHD is a Singleplayer focused game, and Quake 3 is not. So yeah.

As for Quake 3 having thousands, that's all really fan-made maps. Now Q3 was a lot more famous back then than SSHD now, since it was Quake; also it's a much older game. So obvious it got a lot more maps.

Btw, just on the workshop, SSHD got 44 items related to VS mode maps, while it got at least 71 items related to SP mode maps. It is quite obvious which mode players prefer making maps for.

Quote:
If the enemy has your same capabilities, play against another one you won't get bored with.
Thank you for telling me what I find boring, I didn't know it myself. -.-

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #219   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
If you own TFE and the DLC, SSHD got 19 DM maps. How many maps Quake 3 got by default? 20. That's VERY interesting considering SSHD is a Singleplayer focused game, and Quake 3 is not. So yeah.
Yes, and they released a DLC for TFE Versus while the really played Versus is the TSE, not the TFE. Good one.

Quote:
Btw, just on the workshop, SSHD got 44 items related to VS mode maps, while it got at least 71 items related to SP mode maps. It is quite obvious which mode players prefer making maps for.
You don't measure the level of interest of players by looking at modes released.
An example? Me.

I've been fighting to make Serious Sam Versus something awesome, I've been playing TSE HD Versus for a while... and look... I've never released any Mod for it.
Why haven't I? Don't I love enough the game to make a Mod?

As only you know, Solais, I've sweat a lot with the Serious Editor and it was really hard for me. It also comes the fact I'm a programmer and I work on my own projects, so I really have never had time to make something for someone else's game.

But despite, you see how much I love the Versus.

As for you logic, I don't like the game since I didn't make any Mod... hmm...

ALSO

Don't forget that to be able to use Mods you are supposed to play on servers with other people.

AND HERE WE COME BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THE ABSENCE OF DEDICATED SERVERS IN THE MODDABLE.

Please, watch this timestamp: https://youtu.be/lItW7GMjjHA?t=4m9s

HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE.

After It turned out Serious Sam sucks when it comes about creating Workshop Contents, people is no more willing to make Mods for the Versus

Quote:
SSHD got 44 items related to VS mode maps
LOOK! LOOK AT THIS!

44 ITEMS for the Moddable where you can't start a Dedicated Server! IT'S AN IMPRESSIVE NUMBER CONSIDERING THE FUCKING MODDABLE VERSION SSHD HAS!

If the Moddable had been better, there would have been HUNDREDS of Mods for the Versus...

71 items related to SP mode maps??? PFF! IT'S A SO LITTLE NUMBER COMPARED TO THE NUMBER OF MODS THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN IF THE MODDABLE HAD WORKED AS IT SHOULD HAVE!

Quote:
Thank you for telling me what I find boring, I didn't know it myself. -.-
You say you get bored playing with always the same people that you can defeat.
I told you, change people so that you won't get bored.
And you: Thank you for telling me what I find boring, I didn't know it myself.

Nice one, dear.

Last edited by gedamial; 04-09-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #220   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Yes, and they released a DLC for TFE Versus while the really played Versus is the TSE, not the TFE. Good one.
The DLC is for TSE.

Also, I see you just rage about the same thing over and over without really knowing what you're talking about. This discussion is over. If you think SS won't have good Versus anyways, then go and play another game or "make" yourself one.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #221   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

The truth is that you just keep pretending there are no problems in SSHD, you just think it's already perfect.

Quote:
The DLC is for TSE.
LOL
Please, do something for me.
Open Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

MULTIPLAYER -> VERSUS -> START SERVER -> DEATHMATCH -> LEVEL

How many maps do you see? If my mind is still able to count, I see 12.

In 6 years since the game was released, WHOOO! We got the same maps of the First Encounter!!! AWESOME!

1. Do you think that's enough?
2. Those maps aren't any new. They're just throwed back from the previous game
3. Only who already owns the First Encounter game will be able to play with those maps.

Quote:
Also, I see you just rage about the same thing over and over without really knowing what you're talking about.
Come on. It's not longer the time to just pretend the Moddable Version isn't any bad. Come on...
You're just hiding your problems behind a sheet. A transparent sheet.

Only a moron would ever say the Moddable Version is worth being as it already is.

Quote:
This discussion is over.
I see I left you with no more words to discuss with, since all I said is TRUE

The funniest thing is that I'm making a pleasure to YOU. I'm helping you improving the Versus making you notice what must be changed.

Your behavior is just pretending all I'm saying is "soft" or "nonsense" or not true.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #222   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/Sacorguy79/Kristoph_Laugh.gif

This fucking thread.

It's like some people can't comprehend personal preferences or majority vs. minority.

If Serious Sam -at its core- is most popular with Coop or Single Player in mind, then all you have to worry about is Croteam replicating the style of Deathmatch that SSHD has. It's probably not a top priority of theirs to fine-tune Versus modes, but hey, who knows.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #223   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
snip
The strawman is strong in this one!

Also Sacor, that gif is just perfect!

To be honest, I'm with the same idea as what Alen said during the AMA, that this game is really not for actual serious competitive multiplayer. I mean, I just heard that Overwatch recently got a competitive mode, and it's like, the same as the regular game, just with 100% more assholes.

When it comes to SS, I'd rather have a fun, casual Versus, like what Pan and Finzy like to do with interesting maps and gamemodes, than a SERIOUS HARDCORE SUPERTUNED Versus for a bunch of circlejerks who doesn't even know that the word "fun" ends with a "n" and not a "ck".

Good maps are one thing, good weapon balance is other, I already had plans for both even before this thread, but what this thread really taught me is the insight to the very reason people left SSHD Versus when it became free, where all those complaints came from years ago. For that, I'm thankful that this thread exists.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #224   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
When it comes to SS, I'd rather have a fun, casual Versus, like what Pan and Finzy like to do with interesting maps and gamemodes, than a SERIOUS HARDCORE SUPERTUNED Versus for a bunch of circlejerks who doesn't even know that the word "fun" ends with a "n" and not a "ck".
Ah... so BFE game mechanics, movements, gameplay, maps are more fun than SSHD's?

Seriously?

Quote:
but what this thread really taught me is the insight to the very reason people left SSHD Versus when it became free, where all those complaints came from years ago. For that, I'm thankful that this thread exists.
I don't get that. What do you mean?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #225   Add To Ignore List  

You've managed to make a post without telling us how good, how awesome you are. Swell.

By the way I stopped taking your posts seriously after you pointed out, you are among the best or whatever for the second time.
This smells suspiciously familiar. I guess time will tell.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #226   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Quote:
Ah... so BFE game mechanics, movements, gameplay, maps are more fun than SSHD's?

Seriously?
Quote:
The strawman is strong in this one!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #227   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Dunno if you're trolling or what, but it's so evident Serious Sam Versus' life is in the wrong hands.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #228   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

HAHAHHAHAHA

I'm so glad people see this the way I saw it ages ago.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #229   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
HAHAHHAHAHA

I'm so glad people see this the way I saw it ages ago.
People without a brain, yes.

Because if you had one, or if you just grew to care for the Versus Mode, you wouldn't have faced a thread like this with so much disregard.

How many years old could be one laughing and having fun reading and replying the threads about a topic he doesn't even care?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #230   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/Sacorguy79/cenalaugh.jpg
Old 04-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #231   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Aside from the fact that Serious Sam HD is still the most played Serious Sam thanks to the versus, and you seriously think the Single Player is so much over-preferred than the Versus?

Games like Serious Sam, where the Single Player is quite repetitive (monsters over monsters... kill monsters and kill monsters... over and over again, OVER AND OVER AGAIN) need a well done Multiplayer to get people interest.

I think people enjoy more challenging each other on a versus game, instead of starting a Cooperative Mode and killing enemies until you die.

I find the latter SUPER BORING (and that's why Multiplayer is still alive).

Games without a good multiplayer, by now, are boring. People want to compare themselves with other people.
Let's debunk the theory that Sam HD is only popular because of the versus

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 04-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #232   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

That's nothing compared to other times where there are at least other 2/3 servers with ppl inside.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #233   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What he's showing that from 198 current online players, there are only 21 who are playing Versus.

Last edited by Solais; 04-10-2016 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #234   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Gedamial, you need to relax. Right now, all you're doing is shouting insults at people, and that doesn't benefit anyone.

Yes, the versus in SS has some shortcoming. Yes, we're aware that you want some changes to the versus to deal with some of those shortcomings. But you're really not helping to get your point across in any credible form when you just go around insulting people who disagree with you.

SS has always been, and will likely always be, focused on the SP/Co-op campaign. You need to accept that premise. That focus will always mean that versus gets less attention from both the developer and the players. If you're that dead set on versus, then there are plenty of other games out there that have their primary focus on that. Go play those for your versus needs.

While I do agree with some of your points, I disagree with others. But the vast majority of your arguments aren't very convincing and your attitude isn't helping either. If you want people to take you seriously, then you need to LISTEN to what they're telling you and TRY to UNDERSTAND their point of view. You can't force your point of view on other people by shouting the same thing over and over again or insulting people who don't agree with you.

Now if there are any more actual contributions to the topic of the thread, by all means, state them, but if all you have to contribute are the same arguments we have in the first page of the thread, then leave things be and call it a day.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #235   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasser View Post
Gedamial, you need to relax. Right now, all you're doing is shouting insults at people, and that doesn't benefit anyone.

Yes, the versus in SS has some shortcoming. Yes, we're aware that you want some changes to the versus to deal with some of those shortcomings. But you're really not helping to get your point across in any credible form when you just go around insulting people who disagree with you.

SS has always been, and will likely always be, focused on the SP/Co-op campaign. You need to accept that premise. That focus will always mean that versus gets less attention from both the developer and the players. If you're that dead set on versus, then there are plenty of other games out there that have their primary focus on that. Go play those for your versus needs.

While I do agree with some of your points, I disagree with others. But the vast majority of your arguments aren't very convincing and your attitude isn't helping either. If you want people to take you seriously, then you need to LISTEN to what they're telling you and TRY to UNDERSTAND their point of view. You can't force your point of view on other people by shouting the same thing over and over again or insulting people who don't agree with you.

Now if there are any more actual contributions to the topic of the thread, by all means, state them, but if all you have to contribute are the same arguments we have in the first page of the thread, then leave things be and call it a day.
Absolutely not offending who thinks differently from me.

I just get mad when I engage myself so much to make you understand something, and some people (kids) not interested at the discussion reply with stupid comments.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #236   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Quote:
>not offending who thinks differently
>calling some people (kids)
That was already offensive. Calling someone a 'kid' doesn't portray you in a good light but the opposite. Someone can call you that word too just for your own behaviour, and this person will be right, y'know?
I was watching this whole thread since its beginning (in read-only mode until this very moment), but honestly, your attitude only makes it worse. You should really try to be more patient and respectful. You can always ignore the people who doesn't care about this thread, because otherwise you just give 'em a chance to post more off-topic replies (yeah, yeah, like this one as well).
Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #237   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
What he's showing that from 198 current online players, there are only 11 who are playing Versus.
11? You..... um.. ok, Solais can't math, confirmed

Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #238   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

This thread has made me thoroughly grateful that I don't care about Serious Sam's versus mode.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #239   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
11? You..... um.. ok, Solais can't math, confirmed
Before he said that maps for SSHD Versus are 19, while they are 18

So yeah, math isn't his favourite XD
Old 04-10-2016, 04:58 AM   #240   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I was meant to write 21 lol. It was night.

Actually, there are 20 DM levels, I just counted. So just like Quake 3.

TFE (8): DesertTemple, Flood, Gvide, HoodlumsBackyard, Horus_Web, LittleTrouble, ShottyTrouble, SimplyOne
TSE (10): BrkeenChevap, Fortress, Hole, JumpOver, MedievalRage, RoyalPurgatory, SunPalace, TheLostTomb, WeGotSkullsNBonesToo, Yodeller
DLC (2): ElephantPlayground, Fronto

Though now I'm noticing while double checking with released versions that ShottyTrouble wasn't released to public until SS3 for some reason. Weird. But yeah, 19 then.

Last edited by Solais; 04-10-2016 at 05:06 AM.