Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 09:24 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Lightbulb General Gameplay Ideas

I know there is already a thread on Enemies/Weapons/etc but I thought we needed one more specifically on how the game flows/how the player works/how the levels are layed out. I will describe each in detail to give a more clear explaination. For the game flow I'm referring to the types of areas you go to (should sam continue to scour the earth for a way to get off of it, should he go to space, should he travel through time more). I put emphasis on time because from what i got from playing SS FE and SE was that Mental transforms things trhough time (as a way to give reason for enemies to spawn out of thin air). Next, on how the player should work I'm speaking of things such as: how the player moves (maybe add double jump), the views you play with and even the animations of player movement. Finally, how the levels are layed out is focussed on going into caves, underwater fights, closed battles, boss fights, wide open are fights. What else could Croteam do to make new experiences for us? You can talk about related things too just try and keep it away from enemies, weapons, bosses, etc. Oh, I also forgot to add that on levels you can talk about other kind of gravity altering battles (such as the room thats a sphere, the tube room, the bouncy fight, the user map with the low ceiling room where every time you jump you start to walk on the ceiling. Lets start focussing this stuff here!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

I'm just working on making enemies attack each other, with an "allied" fraction...
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 03-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Greeting all. New to the forums but have been playing Serious sam:FE and SE since they came out

What i think puts this engine ahead of the rest of the engines is the room "gravity"

For instance. I remember in SS:SE first chapter when you go into that room that is a cylinder and you are basically in a 360 degree room. That was great use of the physics engine.

I would have to say definetly more levels that have mutli gravity points. As the ones you mentioned and many more creative ones based on geometric shapes... like a donut. except you are fighting on the OUTSIDE of the donut and perhaps make the donut a semi transparent entity (remember Atari's stun runner... when you got to the space stages where you saw a wire frame of the cylinder but nothing else).... Of course not sure how a wire frame would tax a computer but that is just ONE idea.

Also I would have to say. I always liked playing SS:SE in co-op mode. We need more of that Perhaps add different levels or objectives for co-op vs single players.

A dodge move (double taping key in a single direction) would be nice but i think will effect the game play of SS for the bad.

These are just my thought and nothing else
Old 03-15-2004, 08:49 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Yah, I don't know about the UT dodge Figgie . I usually turn it off because I find myself double tapping strafe and falling off the edge in Face or whatever. If it was given it's own button it might work but who knows. A double jump would work though because I found myself wishing I could do a jump over bulls while shooting. As for the fight in the donut or "Torus" shape would be cool and very easy since it's a standard 3D Studio Max shape. Perhaps a rotating trap room like in Devil May Cry. But I think the best trap room they could make would be the first kill in the movie The Cube. This wire fencing comes down and cuts this guy into little cubes (also like the lasers in the Resident Evil Movie) and then it folds back up in sections with one of the coolest sound effects I've ever heard. Anyway, keep the ideas coming because this is the best place to just toss anything in hear even if it's odd. You never know when a good idea is there.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:32 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

Double jump would be awesome, it's such a beautifuly retro concept. Fits with the game.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:57 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
ijubnsgrziuh

Double jump might be good, but I'd like the controls to remain simple. I can imagine scenarios where I'm losing a fight and I'm fiddling, trying to get double-jump to work so I can get up a ledge. Even if you made it one of those games where you can double jump any time in the jump, not just at the peak, you would still be trying to maximise the effect so you can get up a ledge, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, certainly no dodge, I hate that in UT, it's just awkward to have on and if you play online you're forced to use it otherwise everyone else will have a massive edge over you. Maybe if Sam just generally moved faster, jumped higher and whatnot, that always makes things a bit more exciting.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Oh I agree Twinnie, dodge sucks ass. I mean i never use it and I've always managed just fine. The double jump in UT2003/2004 is really useful to get around and to avoid rockets/vehicles. Double jump is pretty much a standard for good Action games (sidescrolling or otherwise) and since FPS games are an extention of Action games I figured it woulf work well. That is as long as the game isn't like Rainbow Six/Counter-Strike/Killswitch/etc.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Exclamation

I just wanted to add that easy camera control would be great because I have been unable to make any "Machinema" because of the complexity that most games do it in. If SS2 makes it easy to create cameras and such, then I will definately be working in SS2ED for sure!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

If the camera entity is not so good, I think we are given the ability to improve it
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 03-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Nice, well there's always hope with technology. Look at this:

www.doomsdayhq.com

some guy remade the Doom engine and it now supports 32 bit detailed textures, mp3 music, 3d models, dynamic lighting and much much more! It's just a matter of time I believe for all games (at least on PC) to have the option to enhance almost everything with ease.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:49 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Leprechaun, BOO!

Earthling is offline Send a message via ICQ to Earthling Send a message via AIM to Earthling Send a message via MSN to Earthling

I just realized that this time around, a small planetoid would actually be feasible to seamlessly texture... Think Rio Antalus (or was it Anatalus? the UT2k3 map, anyway), but instead of a plane, the map is a sphere... Yey!
Old 03-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Thumbs up

That would make an interesting map in Sam that's for sure Earthling!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

What about some one quater sized kleer but instead of killing you they latch on to yer leg and hump it.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:05 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Hehe! Did you read it? The game is going to be at about 20 (or was it 30) levels!!!

Anyway, I definitely want a double jump. After I completed the First and Second Encounter 3 times I started playing UT and now every time I'm playing serious sam i'm still trying to double-jump

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."

Last edited by The Serious Spoon; 03-26-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Ya same here the-serious-spoon! I've loved double jump ever sinse good ol' Devil May Cry. You can get around to places alot better let alone it's uses for evasion (a Sirian Werebull is coming for you so you plant a Double Barrelled Coach Gun shot into him, double jump over while firing another shot. I also wanted to add that more second functions would help (perhaps for the double shotgun could have a first function for both barrels and a second for one barrel at a time).