Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Shuriken is offline Send a message via AIM to Shuriken
Default Beta Test

I'm unsure, but did CT do a closed public beta for the last two games? If so, would it follow that they do it here?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Well, I really have no right to say this but I really am one of the biggest Serious Sam fans. I played the test for the first time on my P3 400mhz, Voodoo3 2000 16mb AGP, 256mb ram and drooled uncontrollably. The sequence where the camera goes around the pool with the obelisk in the centre was one of my favourite moments in First Person gaming history. Now I'm continuing my obsession by posting in the forums as i did with SS FE. To answer your question, there were 2 tests for The First Encounter and at least one for The Second Encounter. Even though I caught on late about SE, I still played the beta as soon as it came out. I am sure that with the new engine they would be releasing a public beta so all us computer-nerds/gamers will be able to not only drool uncontrollably once again, but be able to test it for them so that the game will be low in bugs if any at all. I am really looking forward to it and I know there are many others.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

I highly doubt your machine would even get 1fps.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:24 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Wink

Average Joe, were you talking about me getting a FPS of 1 frame? The computer I mentioned before was my old one (as you can see from my Account Details) so I'm predicting 50-60 fps in Sam 2 since i get 60 now. I don't play with AA but I crank everything else full and get great fps even during fights like the one with the hundreds of Kleers near the end of Metropoolis in SS FE. I'm not trying to brag, I'm only trying to clear any confusion thats all
Old 03-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
PASGETTI!

A beta test would very nice. They did mention something about a possible tech demo or benchmark some time ago. If they do release one, it'll probably be after E3. They probably have one hell of a game if they're going to E3. BTW, what are the requirements for a beta tester, if there's gonna be one? One of the guys from CT told me 2-3 months ago that the game should work OK on my configuration (even if it didn't my father's got a monster of a PC at work and the place where he works is 2 minutes from my house). Every new game so far works without any problems at all on my PC (except games with Q3 engine, which is why I hate it). I am a big fan of SS and Croteam and the first thing I do when I start my PC is going to their site and then immediately I go to Seriously!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

Well being a beta tester not only requires being a big fan of the game.
And I doubt there will be any public beta tests.

You all want that game, yes, but you all dream too much
(I want that game too, but I am realistic)
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 03-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinker
(I want that game too, but I am realistic)
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigth
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 03-15-2004, 04:36 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
@serioussam.org ;)

Serious Worm is offline Send a message via ICQ to Serious Worm Send a message via MSN to Serious Worm

Shrinker IS right. AFAIK he was in contact with Croteam for several times before

Last edited by Serious Worm; 03-15-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AMD AthalonXP 2200+ 1.8ghz? You're going to need an AMD64 for it to actualy run smooth. I have a 1.4 and Sam runs HORRIBLY. Of course I need a new mobo to get my system back up to 266. I want an 800 system.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:23 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

AMD,it says AMD Athlon of some thing on the computer(the shell not inside)It would be the best if CT released a beta test version(public test I mean)of SS2,or that Tech demo
Old 03-15-2004, 08:01 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

You need a brain. Stat.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:06 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

???hmmmmmm
Old 03-15-2004, 08:21 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I don't know what the hell you're on Average Joe but I get some of the best framerates in all games made with Croteam's engine. Like I say to all my friends, the game runs on the widest range of computers. Maybe you need to rethink things when you say I won't be able to run smooth. I'll be doing the usual 8x6 resolution, no AA, full anisotropic filtering, full detailed textures, etc. I'm sure I'll run it just fine considering I've heard talk of people being blown away by the Sytem Requirements of the Painkiller Demo. Although I'm really psyched about Doom III and Half-Life 2, I'm just as thrilled for Serious Sam 2. I never look too hard at the bad things in a game until they become a problem. Like most games there are some things that can always be done better but you'll go insane if you don't try and enjoy the game. Sam doesn't have to be the greatest story ever imagined or actually show us Mental right away. The fact of the matter is Doom came out 11 years ago and I'm still playing it some I'm the last person to only play the newest technology. Devil May Cry is the best example of a great game that is loved by some and hated by others. Personally, I think it's one of the best games I've ever played. Yes there are some pretty tricky camera angles but if you memorize the next angle then you can compensate. It almost makes people watching think how did he get up there? I don't know, All I have to say is I loved Serious Sam and I love the fact that it gets to a point where there are insane number of foes in one area (that huge bullfight before the end boss of FE). During those times I was hitting good framerates on my old PC and now I am flying. When the next one comes out I'll be enjoying it so say whatever you want...
Old 03-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Oh, I almost forgot because I went off into too much in the last post. I would get on my knees and beg to be an official beta tester not only for Croteam but anyone yet I also think realistically. I live in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada so I can't work in Croatia. I'm happy enough to just make TC's for Doom, make maps for HL and SS. Someday I will get enough cash saved up to get out of this city or start a LAN Gaming company with some friends which will grow into a Game Developing Company. Either way I know I will someday get into the industry (especially once I go back to school for Computer Science, Art and maybe Computer Animation) so I can be patient and do what I can from here. Considering I already have an Action game at conceptual art phase I'd say I'm doing okay. I worked out all the controls, moves and abilities. Now all I need is a bit of free time to start making pencil drawings.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:21 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Grand Master Shinobi is offline Send a message via ICQ to Grand Master Shinobi Send a message via AIM to Grand Master Shinobi Send a message via MSN to Grand Master Shinobi Send a message via Yahoo to Grand Master Shinobi

the only public beta there as really ever been was the 1.50 patch and that went liek nowhere. technically you can coutn test1 and 2 but they were tech tests or demos not really a beta.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Wesisapie is offline Send a message via ICQ to Wesisapie

they were clearly betas, because they weren't the finished product! the minigun totally changed for starters, as did the maps. and heaps of other things but i cant remember.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

What are you two talking about? Are you talking about the Serious Sam Technology Test? If you are then it was something Croteam were trying. They figured if they test the game themselves and with the dedicated fans who knew about it they shouldn't need to go through Q&A or any additional In-House Testing. If you aren't talking about that then I am sorry...
Old 03-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Grand Master Shinobi is offline Send a message via ICQ to Grand Master Shinobi Send a message via AIM to Grand Master Shinobi Send a message via MSN to Grand Master Shinobi Send a message via Yahoo to Grand Master Shinobi

no thats what were talking about i was just arguing that they technically werent betas as i had the beta to FE

and what else changed was skins for the kleer and biomechs, the removal of the flame thrower and i think the chainsaw too ... not much changed about karnak except for the weapons you spawn with and the generous yard, enemy layout, it was night time in the final version, and they added some little things like spires here and there for added effect.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:58 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

That is correct Grand Master Shinobi. I liked Karnak better during the day but I loved it either way.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

yeah day karnak kicked ass but they had to change it for the final game cause people wouldnt play it if they didnt do something to it
Old 03-19-2004, 06:53 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Yah, well at least most people wouldn't. I'll play pretty much anything and remain optimistic. I hold high hopes for SS2 and I know Croteam will deliver to us.