Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 01:12 AM   #91   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

hehehehe....
That video recieved roughly 22,000 downloads in a 2 day period. After some calculations (I'm bored, ok... ) I figured out the following:

Roughly 1.25 terabytes of bandwidth used by the two versions of the video
About 640 GB/day in bandwidth
This comes out to about 7.59 MB/second which is the same as 61 megabits/second

So had my 1337 file system not offloaded the download to the 6 dedicated mirrors that we have (plus other random sites that mirrored it), we would have needed a direct connection to a 61 megabit/sec pipe to the internet. And that's assuming an average over two days, which isn't true at all....there were massive download peaks at certain times, so we might actually have needed a 100 megabit/s connection or more. Ahahahaha...that's crazy. Wonder how much craziness the tech demo will create...
Old 03-31-2004, 03:23 AM   #92   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Croteam- Damn, I am impressed! I love the physics, it looks spot-on so far. The normal mapping on the football orc was great, and I thought you guys were joking about the orc . I would really like to ask some questions, but I would rather withold them and be pleasantly surprised (i.e. crap my pants amazed) when the game comes out.

Rodzilla- That is insane, only two days too, I can't imagine. You're right, the tech demo will REALLY test the file system and the mirrors.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:10 AM   #93   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

Just hang around in irc and wait for admir to step by

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:04 PM   #94   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Alright stick 'em up and fork over that tech demo.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #95   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

ITA Raptor is offline Send a message via MSN to ITA Raptor

Wich program I must use for sam2 movie? My computer don't recognize the extension .mov.
What I have to do?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:09 PM   #96   Add To Ignore List  
Leprechaun, BOO!

Earthling is offline Send a message via ICQ to Earthling Send a message via AIM to Earthling Send a message via MSN to Earthling

Raptor, www.quicktime.com.

.mov is the file format for Apple's QuickTime.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #97   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

ITA Raptor is offline Send a message via MSN to ITA Raptor

Thanks earth
Old 04-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #98   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

It kinda made me wonder when, if ever, are we going to see surface physics in games. . .

Watch closely at the football player demo. At 29 sec. he lifts his arms and passes his shoulder right through his shoulder pads - as if they were made of smoke. And it can be seen in the running animation too. Their feet go inside the ground on a few frames.

It's as if some surfaces are made of magic and you can pass through them!

Any way - aside from being super nit-picky as that - this game looks stunning! I'm going to place my pre-order it soon!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #99   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

I have a response that would more then likely be similar to what Croteam would say 9nails. I totally agree that this should never happen, a polygon or more going into either the world or other characters. The fact of the matter is that to calculate the collision on all models would just be too much at this time. Wait 2 years or so and we might see that stuff surface.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #100   Add To Ignore List  
PASGETTI!

Actually, this can and most likely will be remedied. This movie shows the game that is still WIP so you may have noticed the animation of the models being a little jittery, but in most new games this is corrected in the final version (UT2004). You can expect clipping (that's the correct term, I think) only as bugs that the guys at CT might have missed.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:24 PM   #101   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

You perfectionists

1. calculating that crap takes far too much processor time
2. think of this: you are shooting kleers around you and not to get a mode intersection with kleers and the player, the kleers and their dead bodies are solid... yeah - how annoying...

There's something called gameplay, it's based on compromises like this.
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 04-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #102   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

In this case I think it would even be possible with the current engine using collision boxes... I don't know wether they can change during an animation though...but the animation can be tuned so that this effect doesnt become this apparent.

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 04-10-2004, 10:34 PM   #103   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

You will never satisfy everyone. EoF.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:23 AM   #104   Add To Ignore List  
Leprechaun, BOO!

Earthling is offline Send a message via ICQ to Earthling Send a message via AIM to Earthling Send a message via MSN to Earthling

Actually, according to my sources (I just love saying that), the engine does have ragdoll physics and collision for enemies, so they pile accordingly, and in the final version, the enemies should even be able to walk over their fallen comrades. Just look at the official GDC video, two of the falling bodies stack on each other in that physics scene.

We'll get clarification for this sometime soon anyway, when Davor gets back to me with the interview answers.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #105   Add To Ignore List  
PASGETTI!

Interview? YAY!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #106   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

Earthling, according to everyone's sources, the publicly released GDC video, ragdoll physics are obvious. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out
Old 04-11-2004, 02:33 PM   #107   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Talking

Ya I think I know what he was getting at Rodzilla. The way I've figured out how the Ragdoll Physics works is that each bone (for all you non-modellers out there a bone is what you attatch your model to in order to animate it from the joints) can move around inside a cone in which the limb can't go past a certain point. This helps simulate the reality of how a real body would react when blown up and into a bunch of barrels or something. The only problem is that sometime something like a sholder cover such as the football orc isn't taken into consideration because it has no bones. Like I said earlier, give it some time so that us nerds have 3-4ghz and the less nerdy ones have at least 1.5ghz. Everyone just enjoy the way things look now because 11 years ago we were playing Doom and this year we will most likely be playing Doom III. Compare the graphics and tell me you still want to complain!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #108   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

It's cool Judge.

Like I said.. it was nit picky. It doesn't even effect if I'll buy the game or not - because I still will. I was being the ever critical observer. But, understand, years of playing Quake based games and other First Person Shooters and seeing dead bodies's legs stick out of walls and players weapons sticking out through doors or walls, it's become the first thing I notice right after someone says "Look how real this looks!" I usually reply, "Yeah - the level is a work of perfection. But the models still behave like they don't belong in it."

And spending $1,200 for a Pentium 4 800Mhz FSB HT 2.8 Ghz and an ATI Radeon 9600XP - I'm looking for somthing to compliment this system. It's a good computer - far from the best. But performance is solid. Hopefully it will be worthy of SS2!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:10 AM   #109   Add To Ignore List  
Leprechaun, BOO!

Well, yeah, ragdoll physics are obvious, but not the fact that apparently bodies stay on the ground a little longer and enemies actually walk over them.