Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #121   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass revealed

I actually like this approach - it amplifies the arcade feeling of the game and that's pretty important to me.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #122   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by librin.so.1 View Post
[citation needed]
Hello. I'm the citation.

The info you seek is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/56431...6894869635283/

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 05-10-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #123   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

The map-style loading screen will return??? Now that's a good news! Will you just reuse the classic maps or there will be completely new ones?

(just fix the last word (from "member" to "remember")
Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #124   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

It looks like Croteam is going to do the same thing with Serious Sam what Bethesda made with Skyrim.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #125   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maska322 View Post
It looks like Croteam is going to do the same thing with Serious Sam what Bethesda made with Skyrim.
And what is that?
HD upon HD upon HD upon HD, and just have the same game with infinite HD versions of them?
I hope not.

Another thing I hope they dont do, is have miles and miles and miles of map, and only have the user play in 1 little section of it, and you cant go out of the 20 foot area or you die, or get eaten by a worm, or something like that.
That really took a lot out of BFE also for me also. It might as well have been that rambo game that is strictly on rails. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind being 'led' in a game, but I like to have options on how I get to an objective.
Like, the forrest in next encounter. It was huge. And you could go in any direction, up the hill, stay low, go straight up the middle, etc.
That was MUCH better gameplay than 'all man, no hiding', where you had 30 feet to play in and it just crushed the environment around you. Again, dont get me wrong, I like destructible environment, but making a whole game a series of 'stay right there, we spawn bad guys at you, you have only feet to run around in, and they destroy your cover around you and all you can do is run backwards IF we let you, and forwards towards the overpowered enemy'. That killed the game for me also.

I dont want sam 4 to be just a series of little set piece gaming. Thats not what made the originals great. The originals were great because you got to play YOUR way, wether that was up close and personal, or from long distance, or from way left on a hill, or down below in a gully getting surrounded, and what choices the PLAYER made was what really made the outcome of the game. What choices the player made, what the enemies did after you made those choices (even though it was almost always straight at you). Like, long distance fighting made the harpies come after you way more agressively, whil having to fight fast as heck bulls and skelletons (sorry, brain fart, forgeot their name).
Or, if you played straight down the middle, you got different enemies attacking you on the ground, and only a few harpies.
Its that choice type of fast gameplay that made the game great.
Set piece gaming is just, bad. For SS it is. Many other games do it very well, but not BFE, not SS.

Here is hoping for a return to what made SS great, and not trying to throw in everything JUST to make every genre happy.
You dont HAVE to do that to make a game highly successful. Look at Doom. Look at Vermintide 1. Look at The Crew (before the dlc's messed it up). There are people that will flock to a great game, even if it doesnt have their genre in it. Every game cant have every game in it, or it is just a mediocre game like 99% of the games out there.
See Dead Rising 4 (a game I like). They redid the formula that made the series so great and awesome, and they made a mediocre game that just touches on lots of other games playtype, and it made the game not very much like the series that made it great, and fans of previous games werent happy, nor were new fans to the franchise.
Same with Mafia 3. GTA clone that they made the series nothing like the first 2 which made the games great, just to get the 'open world audience', and it may have ruined the franchise because of it.

Saying all that, cant wait to see some actual footage. Based on BFE, I am not as hyped as I should be for the game, but it is 3rd or 4th on my most wanted list.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:54 AM   #126   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Hello. I'm the citation.

The info you seek is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/56431...6894869635283/
Thanks, bro!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:08 AM   #127   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I have to agree with the guys, on that occasion. We have too much official "Encounters"

1. You have the classic encounters - FE & SE
2. You have SS Classics Revolution - which is FE + SE with some improvements;
3. You have SS HD FE and then you have Fusion DLC which adds FE into SE;
4. You have SS Fusion Hub, which appears to be the only official provider for canon lore and other changes.
5. And there will be some remakes of the LotB levels? What happens with the original ones? Good or bad they are already part of the franchise, of the lore. I guess they'll stay only for the outdated HD versions.

We need one, connected, completed Serious Sam game, uniting all the content from FE & SE, both classic and HD - maps, weapons, enemies and their animations - everithing connected and unified. And all of this must be called simply "Serious Sam".

SS3 - firecrackers and bombers? Now that's cool news! Can you make some map-style loading screen in FE style for it too?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #128   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Fusion is the hub for all future SS games too, so really, the only one that matters. It is the one connected Serious Sam.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 05-11-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #129   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

A cleanup of the story in general seems great. Especially a new intro for TSE. Too bad all the changes are for the HD versions...

I didn't like some of the changes in HDs. Different rocketeers, funky looking Kleers, original gravity gimmicks unavailable, missing secrets, the little changes in level design here and there, original ideas missing (harpies carrying kamikazes). Just better graphics don't seem worth it, when the game doesn't play out as I remember it from my first time playing it. I played through the HDs once and since then have always been playing the classics.

I fear this will force me to play the HD ones, once the changes are made. Well, all things must come to an end, sadly.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #130   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What do you mean by "Different rocketeers, funky looking Kleers". Or missing secrets, since HDs added more secrets.

The others are understandable, as they are engine limitations.

But some stuff is planned to be fixed, if possible.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #131   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

SS Fusion is just different pieces of SS games, under one roof, the same way it was done in Fusion DLC for SE HD, back in the they. It's not one, connected game. The LotB levels must be inserted in FE campaign, they must be connected with the level before and the level after it. Great Pyramid must be connected with Sierra de Chiapas. All DM levels should be put in 1 directory and etc.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #132   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

With the campaign... we might have something that will do that, but not promising anything yet. But maybe.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #133   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Quote:
What do you mean by "Different rocketeers, funky looking Kleers".
I'm guessing he didn't like the Sam2000/SS1 Rocketeer hybrid design in SSHD (headsaw in particular) and the glowing Kleer eyes.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #134   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
With the campaign... we might have something that will do that, but not promising anything yet. But maybe.
I think it will be good to make some informational campaign for this, with well-explained motivation of the team about the changes. Thus the fans will be more prepared, and I think the changes will be more well-accepted, when (if) they arrive.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #135   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

So, I have 1 question here:
Are we going to HAVE to buy all of the 'remakes/remasters/inserted-new-stuff-into-old-games' yet AGAIN??!@?
All of us have bought the games at LEAST 3-4 times now (cd's, DVD, gog, steam, HD's, and the DLC's).
So, are we going to HAVE to rebuy them again? If so, this seems like milking the community. If not, it seems like CT and pub might not make enough money to make it worth it. As a consumer that has shelled out over and over and over, I really dont want either to happen, but being broke disabled with no job for 3 years, I CANT pay for them (nor do I think I should have to, even if I did have the money for them and more to spare).
I really wouldnt mind paying for ports of ps and xbox exclusives though in a new engine. That is worth it, as its a game coming to pc that has never been on pc before.
But, for the rest, no, dont want to pay for the same things over and over and over. So, will we get these free if we own the already pc games from pc? Or maybe a tiny 'upgrade' fee to join them all together? Something along the lines of $14.99 ? Because more than that, and people will think they are getting fleeced, or milked

And, a seperate question:
Will, we be getting back the goofy gravity this time? If not, why even bother remastering them? It was THE most requested feature in the HD's and was it the ones right before the hd's? The little both in 1 with better graphics but still on the old engine?

Thanks for any info you can give us, even if we have to read between the lines.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #136   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

No, this will be a free update to Fusion. You could kinda take it as a sort of way to complete the HD games (and SS3) as much as possible, as they do feel somewhat "incomplete".

However, not everything is possible to be added.
Directional gravity will never ever come back, as I said many times through the years. It is impossible to work it into the engine.

Last edited by Solais; 05-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #137   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

I get the feeling some parts of these replies by our resident Educated Fairy need some of 'dat blue tint, kno' wud I'm sayen? B)
Old 05-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #138   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I stopped using that.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #139   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I really hope the Serious Engine really does see improvement in Sam 4, though I think it has gone forward and a bit backward at the same time. Solais once mentioned the effects are placeholder in SS4, so they could be improved overtime.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #140   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

I don't care about graphics, I want to play Serious Sam
Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #141   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Quote:
I stopped using that.
I know. Hence poking You about it
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #142   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Directional gravity will never ever come back, as I said many times through the years. It is impossible to work it into the engine.
Not impossible. Hey, you brought it up, I didn't.

Furthermore, it was twice used in SS, why "stop" there? Mental wouldn't "stop" there, only Croteam would. Now since it's been years, what's another week (or a month tops) to "re-do" the weird gravity.

In any ways, it MUST in the SSV (even if it's in Rome). The "new" Engine should make it little easier possible, it's HD Engine from now on?

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy identified (from reading somewhere) the need to walk across a pit/gorge, so he threw sand onto it and see it's a invisible walk path... SS could be able to grab and throw sand around (didn't Egypt had enough sand?) and walk on a invisible walk path (I mean "straight" enough, not like walking on a star diagram). Yeah, it's OT here... but not impossible. Hey, it's HD Engine.

Sorry, it's one of the top things I keep remembering of SS series. Suggestion, next make it a BALLROOM sphere (not as "ballroom" for dancing, like SS can dance). Or, for the sake of it, make a floor (that SS can run around on) and the ballroom sphere would be scrolling around him (maybe with marsh hopper popping into there, or better yet, laser beams flying around onto the floor coming from the walls, I don't know).
Old 05-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #143   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
What do you mean by "Different rocketeers, funky looking Kleers". Or missing secrets, since HDs added more secrets.

The others are understandable, as they are engine limitations.

But some stuff is planned to be fixed, if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
I'm guessing he didn't like the Sam2000/SS1 Rocketeer hybrid design in SSHD (headsaw in particular) and the glowing Kleer eyes.
Indeed, that was what I meant. Rocketeers having headsaws and using them for melee instead of kicking. Kleers in general look a lot less menacing in HD than they did in the originals. They look almost cute in HD...

Yes, new secrets were added, but some from the originals have been removed/changed. I think it was before the final area of luxor in the room where you have a stockpile of ammo for the final fight, in the water, there was a secret in the original with a ball shaped room with directional gravity. Some were changed (second level in TFE the secret behind the hill or at the end of the level the secret on top of the entrance). Both are easily accessible in HD.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #144   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

It's not impossible to insert the directional gravities again, but Solais mentioned it before - to do that, they have to rewrite the whole engine from scratch. And here comes the questions like: To they have the time and resources, to rewrite the whole engine from scratch, just to please a few fans? Is the investement worth?
Each next version of the engine steps on the last version, and expands it's possibilities.

I think that feature fell out since Serious Engine 2. So, something happened between S.E. 1.5 and S.E. 2.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #145   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thanks Solais for the info.
I knew the old gravity wasnt coming back for the HD's, but I didnt know if you guys rewrote the engine for SS4 or were using the SS3 engine still.
So, it seems the BG is right, in that SS4 will be on the SS3 engine (enhanced version of ss3 engine), so no chance of gravity ever again. Too bad, but if the new game doesnt need it its ok, I was just asking about it for maybe the new HD releases.

As for the whole Fusion thing, I found it difficult to play the game the way it was supposed to be played in order in SS3. In other words, I didnt know which parts to play first, what map name was from SS1 versus from TSE.
Are you guys going to make it so its easier to know which to play first, since you will be remaking SS2 now?
It would be nice to have them listed in the order they were put out (by year, and version), like:
1. Serious Sam
... Map names underneth this, indented.
2. Serious Sam The Second Encounter
3. Serious Sam 2
4. Serious Sam 3: BFE
5. Serious Sam 4

Instead of just having all of the maps listed by their name in a single column going downwards.

Also, it might be cool to be able to switch how the game is played by the timeline, just like I described above with the 1. 2. 3. 4. and the indents, except have a button to push (like, say Switch By Timeline) to make them go in timeline order (sorry, I dont know the timelines correctly, so that wont be accurate at all) but like this:
Press button to play by timeline, the order of everything would switch to look like this:
1. Serious Sam 2
2. Serious Sam 3: BFE
3. Serious Sam
4. Serious Sam TSE
5. (wherever SS4 falls in, I dont know where)

I Think that would be kind of neat to be able to play through just doing the timelines instead of having to play them as they came out in date (years), which I think is what you are saying might happen with the fusion.
But, it has to be done in such a way as to be useful to people who dont know the timelines of the game, and also be able to switch it back and forth from by year published also w/o wrecking the Netriska UI when switching back and forth (I am guessing this will still be in the Netriska ui), and if the user has played any parts of any of the games already, out of order, in order, or in order of timeline.

If you get what I mean by that.

Last edited by Dave3d; 05-14-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #146   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Nope, that's not Serious Engine 3 - it's something much better in terms of lightning, optimisation, visualisation and drawing distance and so on, and so on...

When they start making next version of the engine, they didn't start from scratch, they start building on the current engine version.

And the bad thing in that teaser is, that the Talos Principle came out before 3,5 years, and the overall picture of the SS4 teaser, doesn't seems that much improved, compared with 2014's TTP.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #147   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

There seems to be some confusion there. First of all, the engine will be -never- rewritten again.

Like people say that SS4 is on the SS3 engine? Technically yes. Technically it's also on the SS2 engine, just like SS3 and SSHD. Because that's when the engine was rewritten and since the upgraded over and over and over, just like any other engine. Serious Engine 3 (SSHD) was an upgraded Serious Engine 2, Serious Engine 3.5 (SS3) was an upgraded Serious Engine 3, Serious Engine 4 (Talos) was an upgraded Serious Engine 3.5, and so on. With the VR games and Fusion, the engine numbering have been discontinued, because it started to make less sense, as they were used purely for PR reasons. SS4 was planned to be on Serious Engine 4, and the numbering was still there, because it fit. But Talos was on the engine that was called as Serious Engine 4, so with that, SS4 would be on Serious Engine 5. And then there are the VR titles and Fusion's dynamic engine... it just stopped making sense to number it anymore, so it is now how it's called internally: Serious Engine. Just that.

It's been 13 years or so years since that rewrite happened. So if Croteam would want to add in directional gravity again, they would have to throw out more than a decade worth of work just to add that feature again. It will never happen, ever.

As for Fusion, you are confusing me Dave. The games are not in a single list. They are under the "episode" of their respective games. You click "Campaign", and if you want to play SS3, you click "Serious Sam 3: BFE", if you want to play TFE HD, you click "Serious Sam: The First Encounter", and so on. And only their levels will be listed there.

Same with Versus, TFE's, TSE's and SS3's versus levels and survival levels are all separated into separate categories.

Last edited by Solais; 05-17-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #148   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

As Serious Sam would say "This is getting SERIOUS!"
Old 05-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #149   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

So I was correct, when I said that something happened between SE 1.5 and SE.2. Why CT rewrited the engine from scratch back then? Did it have unsolvable problems, bugs etc.?

And what's the problem with Fusion Hub just to type "Powered by Serious Engine #" - thus the players will know that the game is powered by the last version of the engine. Keep the number in the name, and somewhere in the corner of the screen put the small text with the number of the current build.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #150   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootisMayo View Post
no RPG elements at all.
If been trying to find information about that since the release of the teaser! Can you maybe link to where they confirmed that? RPG elements are a big no-no to me in a SS game.

Last edited by Skorly; 05-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.