Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 04:50 AM   #391   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: The DOOMed Thread

I couldn't help but laugh at that.

I figured the snap map function would be shit on consoles, if it were there at all, but this is ridiculous. Those artificial limits are complete bullshit and give you literally no freedom to be creative. It's just as bad as the TimeSplitters: Future Perfect map maker where you can't do shit either until you hit the artificial ceiling. See where the grand technological improvements have gotten us in the past eleven years.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #392   Add To Ignore List  

You can't make anything surpassing these limits on PC or console, doesn't matter. Thanks to cross platform play, if you find a way to make something exceeding the limits, it won't work.

So, what's with everyone already shutting up about the new Doom? Played twice and got bored? Money well spent, because nothing is coming out of the mapping sector.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #393   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

It's not surprise with these shitty snap map tool limits. I wonder if the developer-grade tools will be released for the PC some time in the future. Also, I guess everybody's shutting up about the new Doom because it's heavily multiplayer-oriented, and the campaign is pretty short. As is to be expected from a Doom game, but still, doesn't leave much room for longevity. The old Doom games still have an active modding community because you can do anything you want with it. Imagine having a 50 room and 12 monsters at once limit in Doom 1 and 2, it would've been dead so long ago.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #394   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

I'm only 60 or so minutes into it. It's a lot of fun, and looks beautiful. I don't like the lack of quick saves. Makes looking for secretes annoying and dangerous.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #395   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
because it's heavily multiplayer-oriented, and the campaign is pretty short. As is to be expected from a Doom game.
Why would it be expected from a Doom game, previous Doom games were heavily single player-oriented with long campaigns, and the multiplayer was more or less just tacked on? At any rate, since the new Doom had separate teams working on SP and MP, the campaign's length is probably not related to how much effort was put into the MP
Old 05-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #396   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Goat Pig View Post
I'm only 60 or so minutes into it. It's a lot of fun, and looks beautiful. I don't like the lack of quick saves. Makes looking for secretes annoying and dangerous.
Exactly what I was saying.

I am also afraid to play any more of the game, because there is a bug that kills your save file later in the game (although some have completed it already here w/o issue).
Old 05-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #397   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yeah, TB mentioned that save killing bug, but I didn't experience it. Also, I don't think the game was that short. It was just long enough to not get too monotone, and I think it wasn't short.

For the checkpoint system, I think they got that because the collectibles are often saved "globally", so when you reload a checkpoint, you often have the collectible already collected. As Croteam explained with Talos, that also got "global" saves, these kind of saves are incompatible with regular saves, so this is why the games have to rely on checkpoints. But I'm not sure how exactly it is the case, I don't know the specifics.

Also, why are you looking for "secretes"?

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 05-26-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #398   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

LOL
Secrets.

And, 4 hours in now, and having a blast, not worrying about secrets anymore.

I may just do a playthrough with a tablet on to find all the 'secrets'.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 AM   #399   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Of Gaming View Post
Why would it be expected from a Doom game, previous Doom games were heavily single player-oriented with long campaigns, and the multiplayer was more or less just tacked on? At any rate, since the new Doom had separate teams working on SP and MP, the campaign's length is probably not related to how much effort was put into the MP
Every Doom campaign is pretty short, I don't expect otherwise. Doom doesn't outstay its welcome, and that's not a bad thing. But the closed alpha/beta being multiplayer only (despite being said otherwise), and the DLC being multiplayer only points towards a big focus in that direction. Again, that has nothing to do with polish and game length, but it shows that Bethesda/id Software decided multiplayer is the thing to aim for, which does detract from the amount of options the single player gets. Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Goat Pig View Post
No quicksaves? Well this proves that id Software has their head so far up their ass it goes right back into its own ass again. Just like the awful limitations in the snap map. The game's not only multiplayer-oriented, but also suffers from a bad case of consolitis.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #400   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I like how people always ignore my explanation about saves. V:

Thinking about it, it's not just the collectibles, but the Demon Rune Challenges might play into it as well. Since they are actually separate levels, after they are done, you have to be placed back to your previous "save", while the rune is also saved to you and the challenge rune is disabled. I think this can also only work with Global Saves, would cause problems with regular saves.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 05-26-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 AM   #401   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

It explains nothing. Maybe it works in a game like Talos, but Doom is a frantic arcade shooter that benefits from the player having control over when and where to save. The collected items can easily be saved in an external file, like any game does with collectibles and the game would check for the item being collected already when you pick it up. It doesn't need to be saved in the game save at all, and would be stupid to do so. The fact is that id Software has lost their way big time since all the key figures have left and they've become subservient to Bethesda.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:40 AM   #402   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

If that would be true, the game wouldn't be this good and true to Doom.

And I don't know what other game does that saving. I don't think it was a "what fits" decision for Talos either. The two kinds of saves just don't work with each other.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #403   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Are those collectibles so important that you'd compromize on the ability to manually save anyways? I'd much rather be able to manually save any time I want and have no collectibles at all
Old 05-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #404   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Manual saving is also a very important accessibility feature. It goes without saying that disabled players need more hand holding, and manual saving is the simplest and most powerful way to let someone handicapped play and progress. Checkpoints always make the false assumption that every player's abilities are equal or greater than the checkpoint frequency, and thus you leave out those that fall below the threshold and render the game virtually unplayable for them.

This is simply bad game design in that regard, and of course there is a point to be made about interactivity; players should be the ones in control of their progress, not the game, checkpoints and manual save points can co-exist in harmony as one is entirely optional.

Sad to see a game get so close to old-school perfection and then completely misses on this point. Oh well, at least I still got Doom 3.

In regard to collectibles, like Discy pointed out there is absolutely nothing preventing a savegame sub-system from removing / excluding items that are marked picked up in a global context, that global context could be anywhere, a local file and/or database entries on a remote server.

Last edited by Fiendian; 05-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #405   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

There are plenty of games out there that have both checkpoint saving and manual saving, so the reasoning that "they are not compatible" is simply not an excuse. I understand Talos' reasoning, since they wanted to minimize the savefile size by only saving the current active world, completed puzzles, etc, but not worry about saving the current state of puzzles.

If not a manual save, you could always allow a "force checkpoint save" option that is readily accessible. This is what Mad Max does and it works really well (this option is even available on consoles. The game saves via checkpoints, but at any time you can always force a checkpoint save. If you load the manual checkpoint save, it won't be the exact state you left, but there is a lot less legwork involved.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #406   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Force checkpoint save could be a thing, yeah.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #407   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Hm ok so i played Doom for....a little over an hour.

So far, not so bad, i for sure have some fun with it but, i do have plenty of complaints.

Old school shooter in 2016 without manul save games...on PC? And there are even people here trying to make excuse for this? I don't give a rat's ass for petty excuses like collectibles, if you can't even make one features like save games in an old school shooter like this for PC, don't even bother making such game in the first place.

This just screams for Bethesda all over it.

Sorry, i know it's harsh, but the bloody check point system in shooters in general pisses me off soooooo much. XD

Also, i dunno, maybe it's just me, but movement feels a bit....slow.

Maps feel a bit disoriented, but i do remember having similar problems in those oldschool shooters, so that's probably a good thing for most peeps.

Otherwise, kinda fun. Visually really nice. I would prefer if enemies were more visible, a lot of times it feels like they blend a bit too much with environment.

Like the weapons.

Will report more later on.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 05-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #408   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Movement slow? Wtf.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #409   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Yeah i know, it's weird, i've been listening how it's fast and all that and yet...i can't help but feel it's a bit slow. Something about movement just feels a bit.....well, not as responsive as in SS3, SW2013 or hell, even Bulletstorm. Dunno, hard to explain, but something about movement just feels a tiny bit off.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #410   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocky View Post
Hm ok so i played Doom for....a little over an hour.

So far, not so bad, i for sure have some fun with it but, i do have plenty of complaints.

Old school shooter in 2016 without manul save games...on PC? And there are even people here trying to make excuse for this? I don't give a rat's ass for petty excuses like collectibles, if you can't even make one features like save games in an old school shooter like this for PC, don't even bother making such game in the first place.

This just screams for Bethesda all over it.

Sorry, i know it's harsh, but the bloody check point system in shooters in general pisses me off soooooo much. XD

Also, i dunno, maybe it's just me, but movement feels a bit....slow.

Maps feel a bit disoriented, but i do remember having similar problems in those oldschool shooters, so that's probably a good thing for most peeps.

Otherwise, kinda fun. Visually really nice. I would prefer if enemies were more visible, a lot of times it feels like they blend a bit too much with environment.

Like the weapons.

Will report more later on.
Manual saving or checkpoints would be good on the Ultra Nightmare Difficulty where I apparently I heard you had to restart the whole game from my brother. But I think that is just rediculous restarting the entire game from dying..
Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #411   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

People will always be complaining a game's too easy anyway, so why not force a player to restart the whole game on death on the highest difficulty? It falls under the "Don't like it? Don't play it." philosophy, like the Dead Space 2 highest difficulty where you can only save three times during the whole game. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #412   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Well, it can't hurt to have an extra such difficulty level i guess?
Old 05-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #413   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

There should be a difficulty option called Heavenly Hell, where all the demons are using god mode.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #414   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Will this game be moddable in any way? The other main Doom games were moddable. Maybe manual save can be modded in? Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #415   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

I'd prefer dressing up like doom guy and pointing a loaded shotgun at a team of Bethesda programmers while they write a proper savegame system. But modding could work too, once we get source code access.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #416   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
But modding could work too, once we get source code access.
You say it as if you're sure we will. Releasing source code of old games when he makes new ones was John Carmack's thing, can't think of any Bethesda game that had it's source code released, even TES1: Arena hasn't...
Old 05-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #417   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

There is also the possibility of it leaking, but yes, overall the odds are against us.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #418   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

The game keeps crashing on me after loading is complete. I think I might have to give up on it until I can upgrade or build a new PC.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 05-30-2016, 01:01 AM   #419   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

If your profile is up to date with your specs, definitely build a new one from scratch.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:44 AM   #420   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Apparently, climbing mountains is not how you're supposed to get to secrets..

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)