Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Question Need help with myspace

Ignore everything I said before. Does anybody know how to get that piece of crap called myspace to work when you go to check a band profile?

I have a large amount of the site cached, so I have to wait about 5 minutes for the stupid box to appear that let's me listen to songs. Then the songs stutter because they need to be redownloaded everytime. Then I click pause and wait 20 minutes for the song to get finished downloading. Then I click play and it goes to the next song, so everything I waited for just went to complete waste. Then I try the same with the next song, only now the whole piece of shit website completely stops working. Then a minute later I get frustrated and click refresh. Then the stupid song starts playing 3 seconds before the site refreshes and I restart the process of frustration.

Restarting my computer fixes nothing and this happens with every band profile. Anybody got any ideas?

Also, why can't we delete our own threads we create?

Last edited by hello; 02-15-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker
Default Re: Need a tool to speed up internet browsing (not internet speed!)

You are talking about cache (mainly for graphics). Maybe there is a utility to control the cache of your favorite internet browser.
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
free beer,hot girls

Yeah definately see if you can get something that won't download any pictures or flash or any kind of video.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Yeah, basically cache. But every website works differently though.

Youtube is nice so when I download an entire video and go back to the page it loads instantly. Other places, like myspace and codejunkies, never ever do that for any reason. They make you redownload almost every bit of the webpage which drives me nuts. Codejunkies is nothing but a change in showing a few letters and numbers per page, yet I redownload everything.

And I was wrong about "Speed up internet browsing". It actually leads to a bunch of bullcrap "web accelerators" that claim to speedup internet by 500%. Found nothing yet.

I could increase the cache from 50mb to 100mb in firefox, but I doubt that would do it because if that would work then codejunkies wouldn't take so long or the site is incredibly inefficient.

Also found that supposed web-accelerators just cache a few sites that are visited very often, like amazon, and give you that while doing nothing for other less common sites. And some of the things that do that spy on you and sell the data about where you go and what you do to others, so I think I'm about done looking because it's not looking too promising.

This place seems like it might be useful for anyone: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-f...b-browser.html

Last edited by hello; 02-14-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Folding for Sam!

sURFNmADNESS is offline Send a message via AIM to sURFNmADNESS Send a message via MSN to sURFNmADNESS

You are not going to improve Youtube and streaming audio over dialup if you have never seen the video before. There are tweaks you can do such as listed here to optimize your dial-up settings. One of the best tweaks though is to use a wireless laptop (borrow one from a relative or friend if you don't have one). Use the laptop to see if one of your neighbors has a wireless broadband network. If you find one, contact your neighbor it is coming from and see if you can share the cost of the connection for a few bucks.

Seriouszone's Folding Stats on Extreme to see which team is going to get passed next.
Individual team member stats: see who on your own team you can pass next.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than of blind-folded fear."- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sURFNmADNESS View Post
You are not going to improve Youtube and streaming audio over dialup if you have never seen the video before.
I know. When I've been to a page on youtube previously and let my pc get everything and then go back to that page, it loads instantly. But other places like myspace and codejunkies I can visit the same thing 100 times and it will always need to redownload everything.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
I cant download ink

Cant do much for increasing browsing speeds on dialup for downloads. Few things we can suggest, mess with your internet cache settings and probably turn it to have a massive cache, also make sure that you have compression enabled for your browser. Some servers can compress web pages like zip files and make them come down quicker, gzip on apache? Not really sure havent messed with it that much. But for generalized browsing, I'd suggest using an ad blocking HOSTS file. The ads tha come across on dialup are what make certain ad laden pages take forever and a millenium and two days after the day after tomorrow you get the page you were trying to get to. Block some ads, and I wont bitch about privacy this time, but a lot of the content is huge and just slows down your browsing.

http://www.intercomm.com/biobob/hosts.htm

Dont bother with web accelerators, all they do is compress all your images, but makes them look like crap. Besides if you have a good quality image in your cache it wont redownload again anyway...