Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default problem with a sound card

I just bought a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro (jeez, they could have thought of a shorter name) and I'm having trouble with it right away. I downloaded the latest driver from Creative's website, 2.40.0008, but just as I was installing it - BSOD! Then Windows wouldn't load as I was getting the same BSOD at Windows load time. The only solution being to use Safe Mode to delete the driver. I also tried the older drivers available on Creative's website - 2.17.0008 and 2.17.0007, as well as the driver on the CD that came with the card. 2.17.0008 and the driver on the CD caused the exact same BSOD, while 2.17.0007 didn't seem to actually include a driver in it meaning that I didn't get a BSOD, but I also was unable the use the card as it was reporting that it doesn't have a driver... Here's the BSOD:

I tried googling it, and found some people having the same problem, but I didn't find any solution for it. I knew that Creative's drivers were bad, but they can't possibly be this bad. I'm guessing there is some sort of incompatibility with some hardware component or installed program or whatever. I have no idea what to do, though. Anyone here able to help?

Last edited by Discy; 01-07-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Swiggity swaggy I'm comin' for that spoiler taggy
Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: problem with a sound card

You're using Windows XP?

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

First off, I spoiler tagged your image as it destroyed the layout.

Second, which OS are you using? Third, you should've gotten a driver CD with it, you might want to try uninstalling the current one, and installing that one. See if it works better.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

no, Win 7 Ult SP1 x64

@Discy: I had already fixed the image, but you saw it before I fixed it. I already tried the CD, same BSOD.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I resorted to my last idea - formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows. That seems to have worked, as I just installed the sound driver, and did not get a BSOD My guess is, perhaps the modded driver that I had for my onboard sound card, even though I uninstalled it when I got the new card, perhaps the uninstall didn't delete all files, and perhaps it caused trouble with the new card. Maybe that's not the case, but point is, now it finally works!
Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Awesome, good to hear it's been solved. Just curious though, on-board sound cards nowadays are getting better and better, so why are you resorting to a dedicated sound card from a manufacturer that is notorious for their horrible post-release driver support?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

No matter how good onboard audio gets, it will never be able to match the quality possible with a good dedicated sound card. Well, this is not one of the best cards, so the quality probably won't be too much higher than the onboard, but there should be some difference. Creative X-Fi Titanium HD will be better, but it doesn't have 5.1 / 7.1 surround support, it's designed only for headphones. Auzen X-Fi Prelude would be great, but it is PCI, and I have no PCI slots on my motherboard. Anyways, sound quality aside, there is also a lot of extra functionality for games, especially older games. I had a modded driver for my onboard that gave me most of that extra functionality, but it was a bit half-assed. I will report later on how much better I find the new card to be, I have to first finish the reinstall by installing all other drivers, some basic programs, then a few games and some music and have a few hours to myself to properly test it.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

All right. I'd like to hear about your findings on the pros of having a dedicated sound card, because I don't know what that extra functionality is.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Updating to a newer version driver made it BSOD again, so I reinstalled Windows again and tried an unofficial fan-made driver, same BSOD again... I'm doing last Windows reinstall now, and this time I'm gonna stay with the driver from the CD, which didn't cause any problems for the 20 minutes or so that I had it before I tried updating it...
Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I had similar experience many many years ago when I had a certain video card... which was apparently called back from the stores, it being faulty, but I still ended up with one. Basically, no driver would support it, only its basic one.

This also caused some amusing exploits to happen, like being able to run games that I shouldn't, because the games didn't detect my card being incompatible (or even existing).

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I have found that onboard sound (depending on what one) is better than X-FI sound cards.
The X-Fi cards sounded muddled to me, and I couldnt seperate the sounds to hear which way they were coming from.

My current system has onboard sound that was better than my 5.1/7.1 X-FI card.

But, I am now using a Corsair wireless 2000 headset that is even better than my onboard, and I can hear left/right/middle/behind very well.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

OK, so this is getting ridiculous... I reinstalled my PC, I installed all system updates, all drivers, and now, for the moment of truth, driver for integrated graphics - ok, driver for the sound card from the CD - ok, did several restarts to make sure it's not BSODing - ok, inserted my HD7950 - bam! BSOD. Restarted again - bam! BSOD!. Removed the 7950 to return to the integrated - BSOD again! This is useless... I might have to return it...
Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Boooo no good.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Hmmm, did you do this:

1st, check that your onboard sound is turned off in the bios, then:
1. Format drive.
2. Install os.
3. Install drivers in this order:
Video card driver (without hdmi drivers)
Network driver
Sound driver
4. Install os updates.

Does that work?
I cant believe a sound card is causing a bsod of the os, unless you are installing the hdmi sound drivers for the video card.
I know nvidia lets you do a custom install w/o sound drivers, but I havent done an ati card in a long while.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:18 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

disabling the onboard sound was the first thing I did, as for instalation order, I remove the 7950 because it's pretty slow to output signal to my TV, so I use the integrated intel hd4000 during the reinstall. So, I format, install windows, install network driver so that I can access my laptop's shared folder where I backed up everything, then I install all windows updates, which takes hours as they're more than 200... well not all, I skip a few, related to win 10 or microsoft spyware, then I install the integrated graphics driver, which doesnt include any hdmi sound I think, then I install the sound card driver, and in this point, every sound card driver BSODs the moment I install it, except the CD driver which seems to work, but then I turn off my PC, I insert my HD7950, then I turn my PC back on again, and BSOD! I haven't even installed drivers for it yet, but it's bsoding already. Even if I remove the 7950, it's still BSOD-ing.

So, I've decided to return the card. No point in it if I can't use it. I'll get an Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 instead. Better sound quality and way better drivers, same x-fi chip Only problem is, it's PCI, and I have no PCI slots on my motherboard So I'll test it on my old PC, then keep it until I upgrade my motherboard, I think I'm gonna get one of those new Z170 motherboards so that I can use a M.2 SSD, but make sure it has a PCI slot.