Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Editor

Serious Editor Discuss mapping ideas & problems or show tutorials and maps.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Cool Serious Editor 1 Help Thread

This thread will contain general explanation and also more in-depth use of entities. It is meant for beginners, but more advanced users will also have use of it. This thread will be pretty empty for now, but I will gradually fill it up when I have some time to type. I will also add pictures where necessary. Feel free to ask questions regarding specific topics you want to learn about.

I created this thread mainly because there don't appear to be good tutorial sites around anymore and also ZynX and Mkbewe asked specifically for them.

This thread will mainly serve as an index hub. I will link to specific posts and list their contents here.

Chapter I: General Editing Tips
Paragraph 1: Organizing Your Workspace
Paragraph 2: The Viewport
Paragraph 3: Moving Around
Paragraph 4: Editing Modes

Chapter II: Entity Mode
Paragraph 1: Names and Clones
Paragraph 2: Keyboard Shortcuts
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 09-09-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Serious Editor 1 Help Thread

Chapter I: General Editor Tips

Paragraph 1: Organizing your workspace

The most important thing that adds to efficiency is a good workspace. The first time you fire up the editor all the toolbars are divided up into maybe eight rows. That is a lot of unnecessary clutter, so best start by dragging and dropping your toolbars so they take up only two or three columns.

Next up is also important, extracting the archives. The ability to read inside archives has been added since Serious Sam 2, so for Serious Editor 1 you need to manually extract SE1_00.gro and SE1_00_Music.gro. You can open it with WinRAR or 7Zip (I don't recommend using Windows' standard shitty ZIP program) and extract the folders to your Serious Sam dir.

When you select an entity, you can see its properties on the left side in the property box. You will want to resize it a bit. Drag it out of the left into the viewport to unsnap it, drag it a bit to the bottom to make it taller, then drag it back in. Now you are sure to see every property, because by default it is a bit small.

Do the same for the entity browser, unsnap it, drag it down and drag it back in. If it's too big or not big enough, repeat until it's good.If you do this, you will have a great fitting Editor layout and you're almost ready to work.

Just one more thing. When you click the little globe icon in the toolbars, you can set some world file properties. If you click the color block, you can set the color of the empty space. Make sure to change it, because red will bleed your eyes. I always use a cyan based color, because black is just not visible enough if you're looking for small health items in the void. Now you're ready.

Paragraph 2: The View Port

The view port is basically the big window you see, and it's using editor mode 0 by default, where it's split into four. You can switch between editor view modes by enabling NUM LOCK, then pressing the digit keys on your numpad. Here's a rundown of the editor modes, you will mostly be using NUM0, NUM6 and NUM9.

• NUM0 is the default viewport, with one rendered mode with the rest in 2D on a white grid with lines for orientation.
  • NUM1 is the same, but it won't show Editor entities (like spawners, triggers, etc).
  • NUM2 is the same as NUM1, but it fills the polygon with the polygon color you set.
  • NUM3 is the same as NUM0, but it renders all viewports with textures instead of a grid.
  • NUM4 makes the viewport big, and renders it textureless (grey).
  • NUM5 makes the viewport big and renders it in grid mode, with polygon colors as lines. It also shows model bounding boxes and doesn't show editor models.
  • NUM6 makes the viewport big, and is the "game renderer". It shows you how you will see the level ingame.
  • NUM7 is the same as NUM4, but also uses black lines around brushes and polys. This mode is most useful for optimizing (more about that in the optimizing chapter).
  • NUM8 is the same NUM7, except it renders the textures instead of grey.
  • NUM9 is the same as NUM6, except it renders Editor entities (and doesn't render fog/haze).

Paragraph 3: Moving Around

You must master moving around the viewports, without it you can't do anything.

When you want to move, keep holding SPACE and drag the viewport you wish to move. Use LMB to move along the X-and Y-axis relative to yourself (left/right and up/down), and use RMB to move the viewport in the Z-axis (zoom in/out). Use LMB+RMB to rotate the viewport in relation to yourself, this does nothing in viewport modes that have four windows (because they're 2D).

When you hold SPACE you can also double click LMB on a space in the world to warp there. The further away you are, the less sensitive your dragging is, so if you can't use dragging to get close to a certain point, use this to "focus" your dragging on there and then try again.

There's also a "flyover" mode, which acts a lot like ingame movement. This also simulates ingame, so you can use this for optimization. Use WSAD to move around, use SPACE to move up and use F to move down (LMB and RMB also work). Use the mouse wheel to make the flyover mode more/less sensitive. This also works pretty good in the 2D viewports, but you won't use it much.

Paragraph 4: Editing Modes

The Editor has a few distinct modes for editing. The editing mode is easily noticeable by the color of the solid block in the lower part of the screen. Here's a rundown of what they are and what they do.
  • Entity mode (BLUE block) is the one you'll used the most. You can use this to add, select, edit and remove entities and brushes in the world. When you have at least one entity selected, the properties box will show you what you can change and the current options. You can also use the info window to manually change an entity's location. When you select an entity, it will show a RED ARROW above it. When you select a brush it will get a BLUE GLOW to show you that you have it selected. Use E to switch to Entity mode.
  • Polygon mode (YELLOW block) is the one you use to edit the appearance of polygons by changing, removing, adding and editing the textures. When you have textures selected, the selected textures will have a YELLOW GLOW to show you what you have selected. You can use the info window to change aspects of the texture. Use P to switch to Polygon mode.
  • Sector mode (GREEN block) is the mode where you change the properties of rooms, from haze/fog effects to natural ambient lighting and even the environment (spikes, water, etc).
  • Vertex mode (BLACK block) is the one where you can select a vertice (the intersection point of a polygon) and drag it to change the shape of a brush. You can also add, remove, or join vertices here. Generally, you SHOULD NOT use this mode unless you know what you're doing! Use . (DOT) to switch to vertex mode.
  • CSG mode (RED BLOCK) denotes that you are currently preparing a brush. This mode cannot be switched to or out with a key shortcut. Instead, you have to use one of the CSG buttons to enter this mode. Here you can change the shape and size of a brush before adding to the world. When you paste a sector, it will be pasted as a "new brush" and the editor mode will change to RED. You can cancel CSG mode by pressing RMB in the viewport and selecting "Cancel CSG".
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Last edited by Discy; 09-09-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Chapter II: Entity Mode

Paragraph 1: Names and Clones

Naming may look inconvenient to you, and for the most part it is. But consider this: You have a big room where you spent a while adding lighting, but then you realize it's too dark. Now you can select all lights one by one again.... Nope! The Editor has a cool "select clones" function (ctrl+E). Clones are entities with the same name, regardless of entity type. If you add a light, give it a unique name (doesn't have to be descriptive, I randomly press letters until I'm satisfied), and then copy and paste it. When you press Ctrl+E, it selects them all and you can easily change their properties without having to select them manually.

This is also handy for brushes. If you make a stairs, give it a unique name and copy it somewhere else, they're both ugly. Then you start texturing it, giving it properties and making it better looking, then you can use "Update Clones" (Ctrl+Shift+U) to change all entities with the same name to the one you selected.

So remember, always give groups of entities unique names to be able to select specific groups later when you need to.

Paragraph 2: Shortcuts

Okay, so you know how entity mode works. You can add entities and edit them, create simple sequences like spawning monsters, but it takes too long to do anything. Here's a cheat sheet on how to make your work more efficient:
  • Q: Switch the info box on or off. Use this to view or change the location and heading of an entity.
  • T: Test game. Use this to start a testing session in the viewport your cursor is in. Quickly stop a testing session with ESC.
  • A: When you have selected one or more entities, use A center the viewport on these entity/ies.
  • Ctrl+R: Render shadows. If you have a directional light, use Ctrl+R to render the shadows. Shadows are discarded after every CSG or texture operation, and since it may take a while, only use this when you want to see how it looks.
  • Y: Switch between entity viewing. When you press ESC you will view from the entity you have selected. This only works if you have precisely ONE entity selected. Very handy to for camera markers when you're scripting a camera sequence.
  • TAB: Rotate selected entity/ies by 90 degrees (clockwise).
  • Shift+TAB: Rotate the selected entity/ies by -90 degrees (counter clockwise).
  • arrow keys: Use these to change the heading/pitch/banking of an entity by steps of 15 degrees.
  • Z: Toggle entity selection indicator. If you press Z, you will not see the blue glow on selected brushes or the red arrow above an entity. Press Z again to turn back on.
  • G: Switch editor lines. Press to see the target lines of an entity, different target types have different colors (spawner template has dark blue, trigger target has red, etc).
  • Ctrl+G: Toggle entity names. It shows the names of the entities in a red color above it. Use it to easily identify something without selecting.
  • L: Target tree. If you press this you will get a small window showing every entity the selected one targets. The C box shows the class name, the P box shows what kind of target it is and if you check the W box it will reverse the search, showing which entity/ies target the selected brush. Very handy for quickly finding the previous entity in a triggering chain. Press ESC to exit the window or double click a name to select the entity (also exits the window).
  • I: Hold I while the cursor is over a selected entity to show useful information. Release I to hide again.
  • Ctrl+E: Select clones. Clones are entities with the same name.
  • Ctrl+Shift+U: Update clones. Update all entities with the same name to the one you have selected while pressing this shortcut.
  • Backspace: Drop to floor. Use this to drop the selected entity/ies to the floor. Not necessary for items and monsters, as they will be pulled to the floor when they spawn due to gravity. Make sure to place items a bit higher than the floor to prevent them from falling out of the world.

Paragraph 3: Selection

When you select an entity, you can edit it in many ways, here's a few:
  • To move an entity, you can either enter new coordinates in the Info Window (Q) and press enter to confirm, or you can hold CTRL and use LMB to drag an entity around on the X-axis and Y-axis, or RMB to drag it on the Z-axis. You can also double click somewhere to warp the entity/ies to that location.
  • Create an entity by dragging one into the viewport from the browse window or copy an existing one.
  • Remove selected entity/ies by pressing DEL. When you delete an entity, an undo snapshot is made, so you can easily undo a removal.
  • Edit selected entity/ies. Use the property box to change available properties of an entity. All entities have Name, Spawn Flags, and Parent properties.

Last edited by Discy; 09-09-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

Wow, i never knew about vertex mode and target tree at all. This'll change my way of editing radically
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

There's still a lot more to come over the coming weeks. I'll also be adding how to use practically every entity.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

Nice work! But if you could add pics to these tutorials, will be super!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Excellent work, Disconnector. Make this everything the old item-by-item help was meant to be and more.

Shortcuts: N

Last edited by mank1; 09-09-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

You can get out of CSG mode by pressing numpad ./del (credits to Rakanishu)

Why not compile all your wise editor knowledge into a .chm file and replace the extremely outdated item-by-item guide in future SSRev updates? A complete documentation of the Serious Editor is what we really need, so please don't leave it unfinished. You should ask for the help of SLAwww and Rakanishu since they are the other master SEDwunners around here, so they might know some cool tricks. Unfortunately it seems that Croteam has forgotten everything about SE1 since they did not reply to my emails about editor problems.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

Discy, please post also how to make levels visible in the custom menu, I really need it..
Old 10-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Not a real doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZynX View Post
Discy, please post also how to make levels visible in the custom menu, I really need it..
Just create new text file in levels folder, write "1" in it, save and rename it to "yourlevelname.vis" this will make your level appear in menu
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTr1gger View Post
Just create new text file in levels folder, write "1" in it, save and rename it to "yourlevelname.vis" this will make your level appear in menu
I did that too but still won't show up. I've heard elsewhere that you need to put properties (dm/sp) in the level but i don't know why
Old 10-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Not a real doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZynX View Post
I did that too but still won't show up. I've heard elsewhere that you need to put properties (dm/sp) in the level but i don't know why
Why? To let game know if its single player or multiplayer map
Old 10-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

I've finally found out how now.. There is a world properties option which makes you choose the spawn flags and level name. thanks btw
Old 10-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

I already know this thread is gonna be useful.
Waiting for updates if there will be any.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

The best teacher are made maps. Just look oto them.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:24 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

It's hard to understand other people's maps.

http://www.quake-1.com/wc16a-tutorial/images/dm1a.jpg
Old 10-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbewe View Post
The best teacher are made maps. Just look oto them.
You're right to some extent, there are indeed maps that can be looked through, I even think Croteam made their maps in a way to help people understand the editor better, but there are things too hard to figure out by yourself.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemniak View Post
but there are things too hard to figure out by yourself.
Yeah, who knew you need MusicHolder for half the entities.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

Wait, that's actually a thing?
You need a music holder for things? I thought it's just for music?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Not a real doctor

It holds code for other entities.
Like boss healthbars for example

MY SHOWCASE THREAD
Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
It's hard to understand other people's maps.
Because are you an American?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

Discman, when are you gonna update this? Also, will there be anything about entities that are not by deafult in your VT? I want to know how Gradient Marker works. Is that what you use to make those God ray things?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I'll update it when I have a good bit of time and inspiration to write stuff. It's a lot of material, so it takes time. And Gradient Markers are used to make a nice gradient of light on a polygon where a smooth transition doesn't work (from sun influenced polygon to indoor for example). The background god rays like The Grand Cathedral are actually ModelHolders, you can check that out in the map.