Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default Custom Enemy Issues

So lately, I've been working on putting together a brand new enemy. I've got a good grasp on Puppet Params (.ep) & Character behavior (.cb), but no matter what I do, I can't get a custom enemy to do anything. I'll try and be as specific with details as I can, but I don't really know where to start looking for answers.

I think it has something to do with the Puppet Params, because when I add my character behavior to a Legged Character entity, and a different (say, Kleer, for instance) puppet param to it, it'll operate based on the character behavior I have laid out.

My puppet params results in the following behavior:

The Raptor wont register as an enemy, there's no change to the reticle when I aim at it. It also doesn't take damage if I shoot it.

The Raptor stands in the default pose, with none of the animations playing, despite the model being fully boned, rigged, and animated in the editor, and the appropriate parameters defined.

My hope is that this is something someone else has dabbled with, and can lend me some advice on what I might be doing wrong. If necessary, I could provide the files associated with the enemy I'm trying to make, so that someone can take a closer look at what I did.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default Re: Custom Enemy Issues

As a minor annoyance, how does one close the Resource Commander? I opened it accidentally when trying to use the Explorer, and I have no idea how to close it again. It always opens every time I launch the editor.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Hmm from what it sounds like, the enemy is missing Collision/Mechanism. They can be added in the mechanism editor.

As for the other, I think in the menu up there (File, Edit, etc), under one of those, you can enable and disable tool windows like the Resource Commander.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Thank you so much! I've been wracking my brain around this one for a while. Half an hour in the collision editor, and he's running like the wind.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

So I don't end up causing too much clutter, I'll keep my questions about this in this thread.

Now that I can get my enemy to exhibit behavior, I need to know how to orient him. Currently, he runs around facing the wrong direction.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

That is... problematic. Because it seems the mesh of the model was facing the wrong way, and probably also got a skeleton facing the wrong way and animations using that skeleton facing the wrong way.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
That is... problematic. Because it seems the mesh of the model was facing the wrong way, and probably also got a skeleton facing the wrong way and animations using that skeleton facing the wrong way.
I've been able to get him facing the correct direction by rotating the mesh and the skeleton. I haven't been able to get any of the animations working yet, so I don't know if that's still going to be an issue. My guess is that it will be.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Before I get too far into that, though, is there an easy way to scale a character's size without breaking the skeleton? I've tried a few times, and it always seems like something gets messed up.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Inside the puppet settings, Body->Stretch.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Next question:

What's the importance of the Children holder under puppet params? I'm sort of grasping at straws to get the character to do something other than just moving up to the character.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Children Holder is for attachment models, like the guns of the Biomechanoid.

What you need to do is to give the enemy an attack in Shoot, and also in the behavior settings, a command to do the Attack action.

However, it still won't do anything until you do an attack animation in the animation editor, with either the "Shoot" event or the "Melee Blast" event.

Check the official enemies as examples.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

I've been working backwards from the Kleer to get me there, since some of the behavior is desirable for a Raptor. Maybe before I get too invested into trying to get him to attack, I should work out getting him to use the idle and move animations.

Baby steps, eh?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What you seek is the puppet settings -> Body -> Model -> Schemes.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Boom. And just like that he's running around like the derpy dinosaur he is. I even had a Scheme created of him, just not added to the puppet params. There are a LOT of parts to characters. Thanks for helping me get through it.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

It doesn't hurt to ask, but since I'm still dealing with the issue of back-facing animations, is there a simple way, in editor, to rotate an animation? I'm animating in 3DS Max, exporting in ASCII, but whenever I import the animation, it just keeps flipping the direction the model is facing.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

As far as I know, it's not possible. Though you might try flipping the skeleton.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

I'll have to go back to the drawing board on this one I guess. I had already flipped the skeleton. I'll delve through the forums, might be something there.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Switching directions, to give myself time away from this issue, I've started working on Netricsa information for the Raptor.

I recall reading in previous threads that SED2 allowed easier editing of the Netricsa Level, and that the ability to add to the Netricsa Level has been made substantially more difficult.

With that in mind, when you kill an enemy, there appears to be two sets of resources being used to display information. The easiest to find and modify being found in Databases/Messages/Enemies/ which is used to display the model & title. There are also informative blurbs that pop up, some times pinpointing particular points on the inspected creature/object.

I recall coming across the resource file that housed something for these, but I'm having a really hard time tracking it down. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It's the translation.tbl files, the one from the latest patch gro. However, these won't be enough. For the messages to show up properly, the level itself have to be edited, that overwrites the one in the Ultimate Resource Pack, because it cannot be modded this way.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Off Topic again, but we've brought our player model into the editor, and I don't know how to switch from using the Serious Sam model to using our Tal'Set model. I've checked the two obvious ones, Chapter Info and World Info, with no luck. In the meantime, I'll be searching the forums for an answer, as I'm sure it's around here somewhere.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What are you trying to do? Using a custom player model in Singleplayer? That can be only done with either that one mod by Ryason that enables this (search on the workshop), or replacing the SeriousSam model.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

I'm content with replacing the SeriousSam model if the process isn't overly involved. Wishful thinking, I know.

-Scratch that, Simple enough. Gave it way too much thought than it needed.

Last edited by ABTBenjamins; 03-31-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Can I do ragdoll death in the editor?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

You can, but it's kind of messy. It's easiest to done if you already have a properly set up skeleton for the model. After that... well, maybe I could help, though it have some trial and error in it.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

For enemies, I've got basically everything ironed out. So, let's say I want to allow my dinosaurs to die in gloriously silly ragdoll ways... Where do I begin?
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

You have SS3 right? I'd start with opening up an official enemy model in the Collision editor, and looking at the ragdoll collision.