Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Editor

Serious Editor Discuss mapping ideas & problems or show tutorials and maps.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2002, 09:00 PM   #61   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

snwexew is offline Send a message via AIM to snwexew
Default hehehe

ty very much its been driving me crazy, i probably should have read the dir a little more intensivly...... Might as well give it a try again its one of the few engines that allow such things. Wich is of course y it owns
Old 12-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #62   Add To Ignore List  
fmr
T-Mech

fmr is offline Send a message via MSN to fmr

where can I find the HighMaintenance tutorial about grass?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:05 PM   #63   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

probably at his website.
I forget the url....
Old 12-19-2002, 12:20 PM   #64   Add To Ignore List  
fmr
T-Mech

fmr is offline Send a message via MSN to fmr

Hightmaintenance is banned and I can't find nothing about serious sam on is site so if someone know where I can found it now?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:32 PM   #65   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

i got the grass working fine, but I can't get my rain to work with it
Old 12-26-2002, 01:57 PM   #66   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

mpb2 is offline Send a message via ICQ to mpb2

how do you generate the topmap texture for the eph to use?

i got the rest working fine, i think.

type "Format C:" without the quotes.

:D
Old 12-26-2002, 07:50 PM   #67   Add To Ignore List  
@serioussam.org ;)

Serious Worm is offline Send a message via ICQ to Serious Worm Send a message via MSN to Serious Worm

Select all terrain polys and select Export Displace Map... or something.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:29 AM   #68   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

mpb2 is offline Send a message via ICQ to mpb2

thanks!

now to let it calculate...

1'm 80R£D!!!!!!!!!

what do you usually set the pixels per thingy at?

£D1T

how do you adjust the RGB channels? is that done in the image program?

I suck at image programs, I'll read the tutorials today

type "Format C:" without the quotes.

:D

Last edited by mpb2; 12-27-2002 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:00 PM   #69   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Woah! >.< This whole time I was working with an incomplete Virtual Tree? No WONDER I couldn't figure it out.

*tries again*
Old 03-14-2003, 07:33 PM   #70   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

bahaha
Old 03-15-2003, 08:45 PM   #71   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

heh

/add this to his list of things no one bother to tell helpless newbies about.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:34 PM   #72   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

This grass tutorial is frankly a mess. Have you read the other one: Enviormental Particle Holder in the Tutorial forum? it fills in a few gaps. I realy should write a comprehensive one step by step...

Admiting that this one is a mess i encourage you to read through it carfuly again, some of the info you want is there i think but not always were you expect it.

For your specific questions though regardless of whether the info already exists :

Generate and Export displace map are the same thing.
There isnt realy much differance in the meenings in this context.

It does give you the cordinates, like one or both of the tuts tell you they apear in the console.
(In SED in the menu: Game--->Console or CTRL-L is the shortcut) You use them to define the area in which the grass will apear, so that Big Green Box is what you should be seeing, estimating it will produce a realy messy result so you need these.

Quote:
How does the Serious editor know which texture is the one used for the growth map? Where do the textures for the actual blades of grass come from? If I don't have any custom textures on hand to use, where are the textures that Croteam used? What branch of the "textures" tree?
The one used for the growth map is the displace map you generated/exported. it exports a .tga you have to turn it into a .tex and you tell the EPH were it is. ...Im gona quote my own explanation of that whole procces as i explained it to Diego a while ago below.

The art for the blades of grass isnt in the Virtual Tree AFAIK
its real locations is

\TexturesMP\Effects\Particles\GrassBig.tex

Ther is only one set that comes with SE (it has 8 types of growth) but there are others that people have made.
You can get a few very nice ones by HappyHomo on his site the bizzarly named Angrypenis.org

What you do with the displace map you generated:
Quote:
Im gona cover what you do with it in Paint Shop here, more later if you need it when i have time.

ok you have your displace map generated (just note: you should have checked the 16bit color and midpixel sampling options, also you seem to get problems if grassmap is a lot smaller then the terrain your putting it over, at any rate when i tried a 128x128 one on a 512x512 meter terrain realy weird crap happend, 256 on 512 was fine however)

...were was i...oh yeh.

open the .tga in PSP.
On the main menubar go to the "Colors" dropdown about halfway down the list is "Split Channel" open that section and click "Split to RGB". 3 new greyscale images will now apear, close/minimize your oringinal image to avoid confusion.

Select the one named Red (it should be entirly black) this is the one that determines were the grass is based on pixel colors or something. For now we just want coverage, give it a liberal dose of Effects/Noise/Add.

Now go back to the colors menu and below Split is Combine Channels, do "Combine from RGB". Now another image apears, it looks like your original exept if you look close you can see the red pixels. (you can throw away the 3 greyscale components, your done with them)

Now here is the part i have trouble with, my understanding of alpha layers in PSP is a little sketcy, you need an alpha layer on the image, you get crashes without one (it determines how brightly lit the grass is in any given area.) For this part it might be handy to have a shadowmap of your terrain, load it in PSP its how i got it to work so far. Select your 'grassmap'
Toolbar:Masks\New\From Image
There is a dropdown list called Source Image, select your shadowmap. I'm not shure what the other settings do, select the Source Luminance radio button. hit OK and save it as a tga, import into a .tex with SED and you should be set to use it with your Enviormental Particle Holder (btw the EPH isnt in the virtual tree by default, you have to go find it)
The basic idea is you want to add random noise to the red channel only of the displace map, leave the blue and green alone. Then save it and import it into SED. Thats your growthmap that the enviormental particle holder uses.
(note that different pixel values in the red channel i think make it use different types of grass in that section...i havent figured this out entirley yet.)

Im shure this is kinda messy but i dont feel like proofreading it now.
Cheers
Joben

Last edited by Joben; 03-16-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #73   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

But I don't have a C:\Croteam\Serious Sam - The Second Encounter\TexturesMP\Effects\Particles\ directory! Where do I look on my computer to find \TexturesMP\Effects\Particles? I can't find it anywhere. At all. I've looked all throughout my croteam directory. Could this be another thing they left out of SE's standard installation?

I know how to add the red static to my tga file, thank you. I had to go to photoshop's site to figure out the controls for adding an alpha layer, but eventually I managed that, too. I'm pretty sure my displace map is not the problem.

I think the problem is I don't have the brass textures and I don't know where to get them. You keep saying croteam has a collection of 8 grass textures. I've seen them in-game, playing Croteam's original levels, but I can't find them anywhere on my computer. Is there anywhere I can download them? Or should I try re-installing Sam, or what?
Old 03-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #74   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

This folder doesn´t exist until you extract the displace map from the .GRO file.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #75   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

a) if you haven't Extracted the .GRO files, he enlies your problem. There are tuts on this.
b) if you don't even have .gro files, BUY THE DAMN GAME!
I don't know how many times asshole pirates come though here saying,
"hell0 i w4nt t0 m4k3 m4p i n0 buy g4m3 b3c4us3 i7 si t0o mu<h m0n3y i l1v3 w1t my m0mmy"
Old 03-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #76   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

why the heck would a pirated copy not have the gros?

extracting then in incredibly easy, they are just renamed .zips
Old 03-17-2003, 04:17 PM   #77   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Oh, okay. I didn't know I had to extract the GROs. I just opened up the editor and foolishly expected to be able to start making maps right away. Boy, was I being silly. I realize that now. I must have missed the huge underlined red "You must extract the GRO files in order to be able to use this product to its full potential" text in the help file.

Of course, I own my copy of this game! It was twelve bucks. Anyone who can't save up twelve frickin' bucks in a month or so is one underpaid kid. I mean, cut the grass for two people in your neiborhood; there you go. Now just tell your mom all about how you're learning the value of a buck through hard work or some crap like that, and bingo! I'm sure she'll be happy to drive you to Wal-Mart.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #78   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

uhh what did you expect it to somehow magicaly know which tex you wanted it to use? ...I didnt know neither of the tuts speficialy stated that... I thought that was pretty obvious but i did mention it in passing anyway.

It doesnt matter what backround viewer it is, you just need one.

Dont get mad at me, i didnt write the tutorials, and just like you can't know info they don't contain i can't answer questions you haven't ask yet.

Last edited by Joben; 03-17-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:05 PM   #79   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Default I DID IT!!

Good lord. It took me 3 days, and lots and lots of other people filling in the blanks in PainBringer's tutorial, but I finally did it! And because someone as inept as me did it, that means you can do it, too!

To celebrate, I've edited PainBringer's tutorial and posted it here for you. I think it contains all the information I needed to know three days ago, now.

If anybody has anything else to add, or needs more info that's not in my revised version, post it here.

PainBringer, if you have any mercy on the weak and noobish, you'll attach this file to your post at the start of this thread so the newcomers can get the whole story right from the begining.
Attached Files
File Type: txt growth_explained_more_consisely.txt (10.0 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by WarpZone; 03-17-2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:11 PM   #80   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Heh i think my explanation of PSP alpha layers in that is rather messed up.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #81   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

And since PSP's alpha layers also recently screwed me up (floating grass), I append the working answer I was given:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwary_Thief
After you have saved the Mask layer to the alpha channel, then you should delete the mask, it then pops up saying "do yoy want to merge the mask into the next layer", click No, otherwise the mask is applied over the top of the whole image, which usually creates the problems you have described, like flying grass.

What I usually do is have two images open at the same time, one is the Displace map, the other is a greyscale image for the alpha channel (both exactly the same dimensions) then just use New Mask layer: From image and choose the greyscale image from the drop down box, while Create mask from is set to Source Luminance. Then when you click OK, save the mask to the alpha channel, Delete the Mask, click No to merge with image, then save the file.
90% of the time that works, then if need be, edit the greyscale image (darken or lighten maybe) then repeat the process.

HTH
BR
JN
Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #82   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

is everyone remembering to make their .tex with the smallest possible SIZE settings? it can mess up and make just a solid plane of grass if you dont.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #83   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

Philer is offline Send a message via ICQ to Philer Send a message via AIM to Philer Send a message via MSN to Philer Send a message via Yahoo to Philer

its easy just select these polys and click Export Displace map in the popup menu which will appear if you rightclick.
then set W and H to 256 and check Mid Pixel Sampling and High Resolution.
Note: The calculations takes a lot of time. Don't kill SEd while calculation.

my maps, my page
Old 03-23-2004, 09:17 AM   #84   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

-=FREAK=- is offline Send a message via AIM to -=FREAK=-

i selected my polygons on the terrain i wanted to have grass on and did rightclick -> export displace map, pixels per width and height: 256, both options checked, create the texture, 0.25x0.25m,preverse 32 bit and i pasted the values of the positions in the console into the environment particles holder height map box, but the grass has a total wrong position! can someone help me please
Old 03-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #85   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Peace restored, flames have been killed.

The end.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 03-23-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #86   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

...what the heck is this about anyway?

So stop filling this perfectly good thread with things that are off topic and/or pointlessly rude.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #87   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Question Wtf

ok ok maybe im just stupid but i dont really understand a word of the growth explained and i was wondering if there was a easyer way to explain it plz could sum1 help i really would like to have grass etc over my map. im used to models and makin them bigger smaller changing animation etc etc but another thing i cant do is make a tree get damaged by a chansaw then shake and get smaller and smaller till it is gone with all the effects etc so could sum1 also help me that.

all u mappers out there that can do al this proably think im silly 4 askin but i really dont no how lol
Old 04-14-2004, 06:49 AM   #88   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

For the tree damage I suggest copying the 60-70 entities or so that are neccessary for that from one of croteams maps.
I think you should ask a more specific question on that grass particles, I doubt someone would want to rewrite all this when you can read it there.

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #89   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default ok

ok maybe i wasnt very clear on that ok i get the idea that red. green and blue r used in makin grass and i no what each colour does e.g. rasise height etc i can get the enviroment particals holder but i dont understand all the stuff about alpha channels and height boxs i no the basic things bout not the higher level stuff

thxs 4 the tip about copying the croteam maps
Old 08-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #90   Add To Ignore List  
muppet chef of doom

Spo_On is offline Send a message via MSN to Spo_On

Okay, I've got very interested in outdoor terrain recently and within about 2 days I have made a high quality 512-512 terrain with multiple textures varying on hight to add to realism and everything is hunky-dorey except....you've guessed it, GRASS!!!!!!

However, I have got everything to work except the fact that my grass floats. Or to be more precise, it sits on top of my second Y axis that I specified in the EPH's "Height Map Box". I've been through this tutorial quite carefully and none of the people who had my problem really got a simple "how-to-do" answer. Could some kind person either tell me my problems answer or link me to another tutorial thread/site.

I'm soooo close to doing this, I cant give up now!