Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2003, 04:34 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

Walt is offline Send a message via ICQ to Walt Send a message via AIM to Walt Send a message via MSN to Walt Send a message via Yahoo to Walt
Unhappy Freaky Sound Problem

recently, windows xp decided that I needed some excitement in my life and imploded. I reinstalled it, naturally, reinstalled all my favorite games (after deleting all the old folders), and cleaned up my hard drive.

Now, here's the problem. The sound card I'm using is built into the motherboard (C-Media CMI-8738). The drivers on it are the ones that came on the CD with the motherboard.

The sound works perfectly in certain games, and in others, it doesn't work at all! Example: Diablo II runs fine, every bit of music, every sound clip, every imaginable sound is audible, and the same with Tribes 2. When I run a game like Battlefield 1942, the intro movie's sound works, but the sound in game is nonexistent. The same problem persists with Half Life and in the other game I tried, which was Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (which to my knowledge runs s3m music tracks and .wav audio).

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? I tried updating to newer c-media drivers and it just fuxored my sound completely. My speakers work great (Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia) and the insides of my computer are all nice and snug, so I think it's a software problem.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:47 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
_Ms
Lost Days

Battlefield and HL can use EAX and other hardware sound modes check to make sure that those are disabled if they are disabled try enabling them.

I had problems with C-Media before just like this but I don't remember what I did to fix it.

But you could try and go to control panel->Sounds audio devices

In the Volume tab, click the Advanced button in the Device volume block

That should bring up the volume controller

go to Options->Properties
Make sure that all the volume controls are checked

Then click ok

Now in the volume control panel un-check all the mute boxes. Then set all the volumes to their max

The reason for this is that the driver or installer may have muted some of the channels or set them to a low volume level. If that's the case this should fix it

What? Why not?
Jesus tastes too dry and stale
Old 08-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

Walt is offline Send a message via ICQ to Walt Send a message via AIM to Walt Send a message via MSN to Walt Send a message via Yahoo to Walt

I already checked the volume control, everything is unmuted and all the way up.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:01 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

hmmm...check for cross linked files and get rid of em if any...windows troube shooter should provide some answers also...but if you reinstalled windows over the old system with the old programs still on the HD then its a fair bet that its a cross linked file problem...chk disk might solve your problem , if it does find cross linked files and you do deletr the be sure to reintall the driver for the modo....remember windows demands you follow a procedure thats why a clean install is recomended with the HD formated...if you installed the games over the old ones then windows may be confused...simple unistall the games in questain and remove the folders and dont forget to restart before installing the game again...windows doesnt know you have change anything until you restart each time you install and visaversa....good luck man
Old 08-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Buy a real sound card. Seriously. They aren't that expensive. But, then, that's just my inner audiophile talking.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:02 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

I have a real sound card, but it doesn't fit in my case, and I have no cash.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Yeah, being broke sucks. I've never been a big fan of onboard sound or video cards for some reason... especially in my case, where I have multiple sound cards for different processes. If the onboard sound card is enough for you, though, who am I to tell you different.

I hope you get the problem solved. Wish I could be more help.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
The Village Idiot

berbano is offline Send a message via ICQ to berbano Send a message via AIM to berbano

Onboard sound has become quite good in the last few years. If you know what chip powers the sound (look in your manual) look on the web for new drivers. The sound chip on my mobo has drivers released almost every other week.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:42 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
insert user title..

yeah, onboard sound isn't as bad as it sounds....generally, system resource usage is minimal and the sound is quite good...onboard video is a different story altogether....

(I've left the door open to a good comeback in that last sentence ....anybody who has seen the movie Airplane should be jumping all over it)....

I bought my daughter a C-media sound card for her PC a little while ago....at first she had some problems with a few of her 'cereal box' games, but once I reverted back to the generic drivers built into WinXP then she has not had any problems at all...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:52 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

yep, c-media cards are known to be pretty kickass but are also notorious for having problems (especially with Linux). Sadly, the only support I could find was on Linux forums, which doesn't help an XP user like me.

So, here's how I fixed it: Made sure nothing was running EAX/A3D (thank you _Ms) and enabled hardware accelleration for the sound. freaky problem: freaky solution.

Since the topic is leaning towards other sound cards: I am interested in getting a shiny new sound card using the profit I can muster during the school year, especially a sound card that is going to be friendly towards things like a Line 6 POD XT (note: steal oswald's pod)/GuitarPort.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Direwolf Founder

BurnHavoc is offline Send a message via ICQ to BurnHavoc Send a message via AIM to BurnHavoc Send a message via MSN to BurnHavoc Send a message via Yahoo to BurnHavoc

it depends on who makes your mb, and what audio system is being integrated. The NForce series has amazing on-board audio for example.
If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.
- Issac Asimov

Wii Number [2504 6833 4090 9541]
Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
_Ms
Lost Days

Walt if you think that's freaky I was fixing a computer that would give the bad CPU/RAM/Vid beep code and then restarts. Turns out it was the keyboard

What? Why not?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:24 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
The Village Idiot

berbano is offline Send a message via ICQ to berbano Send a message via AIM to berbano

Actually the video integrated into some nForce boards isn't bad. It is leaps and bounds behind cards still, but it is game playable.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:00 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
_Ms
Lost Days

The problem with on-board 3d vid is shared memory. the system has to dedicate an amount of RAM to the vid and anyways they are MX series witch are not that good.

What? Why not?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:39 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

I got similar problem but my computer doesn´t play any system sounds like error beep. When I try to play them in 'Sounds and Audio Devices', I get an error message.