Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE is offline Send a message via AIM to DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE
Default one sentence review: prey

thank god for return policies.

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 07-25-2006, 02:01 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Cuppa tea?

cant be returned if opened.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:05 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

where the **** do you shop? ok, so maybe i should say "good thing EB accepts returns."

if i was stuck with that...i'd probably pawn it off as a gift to a second or third tier friend.
(not that i realy have any. but i can pretend damn it.)

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Here's my one-sentence review.

Thank god I bought it before it was out of stock in the local store.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

What? Prey was great although short. Then again, some games are better off short
Old 07-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Man I thought prey was badass. Not "you should buy it" badass, but "you should play it" badass.

I wish it had more weapons, more enemies, more explosions (or destructed areas) and more scares. A bit more story would help as well.

But otherwise, I definitely enjoyed my experience.

I beat the game in 7 hours 30 minutes. Why is that short? That's a pretty decent chunk of time (especially for one sitting, which I did). I can't stand games that go on FOREVER AND EVER. At somepoint, I just want it to end. Serious Sam 2 I couldn't really stand to play through it all. I did, but I didn't really want to. It's just too much.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

4 hours here.
here, i'll throw out a little nugget of justification. gimmick game. no real "wow, moments like these remind me why i play video games" moments. just "wow, i'm on the wall/ceiling. i better fight these six vagina monsters now." moments.

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 07-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE
no real "wow, moments like these remind me why i play video games" moments.
Well I barely never get them when playing Moments like those are very rare so don't expect every game to have them- Prey is more like a good standard FPS with added gravity and some weird things.

I haven't got Prey yet, but I'll get it once the price tag goes down a bit
Old 07-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

i get them at weird times. id say them, but i dont want to spoil a couple newish games.

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Quote:
4 hours here.
here, i'll throw out a little nugget of justification. gimmick game. no real "wow, moments like these remind me why i play video games" moments. just "wow, i'm on the wall/ceiling. i better fight these six vagina monsters now." moments.
4 Hours? Really? You must have rushed through the game.. or you have some serious talent. I got caught up in a lot of areas.. I could only see myself saving an hour by playing honestly through it. That still brings it to 6 hours for me.

Also, what sorta games give you those "that's why i play video games" moments? Serious question. I havn't gotten one of those in years. But I feel it's because the more you play, the more everything starts seeming stale.

I found prey lacking in areas, but overall very enjoyable. Sure, i found the wall-walking VERY gimmicky. It did make the game stand out, however. Such as level-design. In order to actually make a room enjoyable to walk on the ceiling.. they have to actually add items ON THE CEILING, and all of that shit. So level detail increases a good bit. Portals were amazing. Just thinking about how exactly it was programmed and the theory behind it is fun for me. A few scenes were beautiful to me. The school bus and the airplane. Those are memorable as ****. Best sections of the game, to me. The sunbeam gun is magnificent as well. It feels just so damned powerful. It pushes you backwards and everything.

I can't think of any games that actually have weapons that push you back. The vehicle idea was also brilliant in my eyes. It just comes together. Simple idea, and it works. Spirit walking was lackluster, but it definitely had its moments in puzzles. Have to hit two buttons at the same time? You can. Not being able to die was also fairly fun the way they did it. The environment around you changes as your progress through the game as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

i guess my complaint realy comes down to 49.99
it was hyped out to be the coolest ****ing thing ever. the demo was pretty ok so yeah i plunked down the 50 dollars. i felt gyped. i realy did. it wasnt worth 50 ****ing bucks. 29 at most.

but man alive is this thread makin me smile. i love defending my dislikes. i realy wonder, are you expecting me to magicaly start liking the game? heh...keep trying if you wish. it only makes me laugh more.

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Not trying to make you change your mind. I'm just voicing my opinion.

If you're talking about my posts, then would you really like it more if I hadn't posted? I mean damn, sorry for trying to start a discussion. This thread really could have been sooo much better if everyone just didn't say anything at all. We should just do that with every thread on this form.

When someone says they hate something, I damned better get a reason why, other than "it sucks."

If you can't backup your opinion, then your opinion is rubbish.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
i guess my complaint realy comes down to 49.99
it was hyped out to be the coolest ****ing thing ever. the demo was pretty ok so yeah i plunked down the 50 dollars. i felt gyped. i realy did. it wasnt worth 50 ****ing bucks. 29 at most.
You whining about 50, you'd just love to shell out 70 like I did.
Games are too damn expensive here, but I didn't want to wait months or even years for the price to go down to the 30s.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Not trying to make you change your mind. I'm just voicing my opinion.

If you're talking about my posts, then would you really like it more if I hadn't posted? I mean damn, sorry for trying to start a discussion. This thread really could have been sooo much better if everyone just didn't say anything at all. We should just do that with every thread on this form.

When someone says they hate something, I damned better get a reason why, other than "it sucks."

If you can't backup your opinion, then your opinion is rubbish.

all opinions are rubish.
if you want reasoning, than ask directly. i dont care if you post. i never care what anyone does. also dont take my post personaly. you have been here long enough. you know im a jerk. if i treated you nice, id have to treat everyone nice. i cant have that.

so heres the reasoning:
cost too much
a little bland. hell quake 4 might be heralded as the generic fps of the decade, but i found it more engaging.
spirit walking realy seemed gimicky, so did the gravity deal.
and we have seen the weapons all before. however thats a complaint against the fps genere as a whole, realy.

i just think we need more games like deus ex and less like prey. cool technology does not nesceraily equal innovation.

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quake 4 was an excellent game, enough replay value to make me want to complete it once on every difficulty.
But if Prey has that replay value, we'll see.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Aarian is offline Send a message via AIM to Aarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Also, what sorta games give you those "that's why i play video games" moments? Serious question. I havn't gotten one of those in years. But I feel it's because the more you play, the more everything starts seeming stale.

Fairly old and not on PC (yet), but the last game I played that made me feel that way was Resident Evil 4. It still remains one of my most-played games of the current gen systems. Having blown through it over 9 times, I still manage find fun in the game by playing it in new ways.

That, and MDK2... everybody needs to play that one.

So, for somebody who really liked the Prey demo, does the game come recommended (albeit, potentially after a pricedrop)? If the full game is more of the same, I would be perfectly content.

www.garydraws.com
Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

There are lots of new weapons and enemies waiting in the full game, but I wouldn't say the level design is too flexible.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Who reads these?

The last game I really enjoyed was......Hitman: blood money. Before that, it was condemned:criminal origins. There was just something about hitting a guy with a lead pipe, and him spitting out bloody teeth before coming at you again.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming, soaked in blood, and if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
-Dana Gould

The key is to hit really hard.
With the bat.
-Marco, Sealab 2021
Old 07-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
i realy wonder, are you expecting me to magicaly start liking the game? heh...keep trying if you wish. it only makes me laugh more.
Nah, as MEA has said, just posting my opinion. Infact I also hate when people force their opinions on me, I don't mind people having opinions but when this happens...god, it doesn't make me laugh like it does for you, it makes me want to strangle whoever's doing this to me....Godammit! Burn in hell you ****ers!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Maybe we can magically make him like the game, seriously.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
I cant download ink

My one line review of Prey:

Damn grandpa cooked up a bad batch of peyote again!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

Tessai is offline Send a message via AIM to Tessai Send a message via Yahoo to Tessai

The last game that I was honestly floored by was the original Call of Duty. Yeah, I realize its "just another WWII FPS" but the immersion of the game was pulled off brilliantly.

Half-Life 2 was also amazing, from the physics to the graphics to the sound effects. I do think that it could have done with some different weapons, though. It just felt like they went down the list of standard FPS weapons. "Pistol? Check. Submachine gun? Check. Shotgun? Check. Rocket Launcher? Check. "

Quote:
I'm a bad influence on children. Childrens damn fault for being influenced by me.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

HalfLife 2 was perfect in almost every way for me.
The few things I didn't like was the reload animations for every weapon except the Magnum, they felt dull and cooked up in a hurry. Plus the sound for the 9mm needs to be more powerful. And it never made sense why Gordon could only carry two extra clips for the pulse rifle.

But hey, great game other than that.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessai
Half-Life 2 was also amazing, from the physics to the graphics to the sound effects. I do think that it could have done with some different weapons, though. It just felt like they went down the list of standard FPS weapons. "Pistol? Check. Submachine gun? Check. Shotgun? Check. Rocket Launcher? Check. "
And I just wish it had more 'alien' enemies like in the first ones. There are three 'alien' enemy models in the game but they aren't used at all (The two wierd things walking around at the end and then 'combine advisor' you see on Breen's monitor when you get teleported to his place a 2nd time at the beginning and in HL2:ep1)
Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Aren't the combine aliens, or are they just cyber-humans?
I only played the game through once so I'm not understanding the story much.

But I forgot to mention; firing the pulse rifle with my Z-2200 cranked up, is the most powerful firing sound I have heard.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

The combine are humans captured and combined (ha!) with alien DNA. The ruler of the combine is an alien but not an enemy or boss
Old 07-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

xxzen is offline Send a message via MSN to xxzen

hated "Death Walk" completely removed strategy development and made the game to damn easy.......
Old 07-26-2006, 02:45 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
is a loser.

McFuggin is offline Send a message via AIM to McFuggin Send a message via MSN to McFuggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessai
The last game that I was honestly floored by was the original Call of Duty. Yeah, I realize its "just another WWII FPS" but the immersion of the game was pulled off brilliantly.
That's also the last time I've really enjoyed a video game. The (I believe) Russian campaign that takes you all the way down to the bottom of a dam, and all the way back up out again, with sniper battles the whole way.

Prey surpasses that by a lot though. The puzzles were amazing, the weapons are awesome. Yes, they were the standard weapons, but what do you expect? it's a choice of weapons that works well, for most situations. I thought the weapon design, look, and models were amazing. The grenades that occasionally grab Tommy's hand was pretty comical. The scope on the rifle is the little tentacle that shoots up to your eye. The gravity was pretty cool, integrated with the puzzles well. portals were nothing short of amazing. Well worth the sixty bucks I paid. yes, I paid $10 dollars for the sole purpose of having it on one disc. **** you publishers. I shouldn't have to pay ten extra bucks for something that should be standard. What gamer that has a machine capable of playing a game like prey doesn't have a goddamned dvd drive?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

The Asshole doors creeped me out a bit and some of the puzzles kinda messed with my head
Old 07-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFuggin
That's also the last time I've really enjoyed a video game. The (I believe) Russian campaign that takes you all the way down to the bottom of a dam, and all the way back up out again, with sniper battles the whole way.
That was in the british campaign, and yes, that level is truely awesome.

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."