Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default Make mods with steam version

Hi everyone,

I just bought serious sam on steam (the full package 1,2...). My first question is:
can I make mods with it? Because I can not find the sdk on my computer (after install on steam).
How deep in the code we can go? For instance I want to be able to get input from an external device and get it ito the game, do you think it's possible with it?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Make mods with steam version

I don't know about the sdk, but you can get the editor for it from Tools, it's pretty versatile.
The only things you can't do with it are completely new weapons (although you can mod the existing in any way you want ) and ... I think that's all the major limitations, unless I've forgotten one.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

There's no public SDK, and I don't think there ever will be. Sorry.

However, you can change a lot of stuff with the editor. You alter a lot of enemy and weapon variable (such as changing enemy health and weapon damage). It's pretty versatile (but not as much as Serious Editor 3 and 3.5 imo) when you get the hand of it.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadala View Post
It's pretty versatile (but not as much as Serious Editor 3 and 3.5 imo) when you get the hand of it.
Lol. SS2 is fully editable in comparison...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Thank you all for your answers!

And already found the editor but I thought we could have more controle such as changing some code or making a kind of top layer.
If I understand well, from the editor we can only change parameters, edit a level, right?

So there is no way I could place a piece of code in the game? Like getting the life of the character and triggering an event like "spawn specific monster"?

Really thank you for your knowledge!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

You can add code in your levels, and even some extremely advanced one. Look for Ryason55's codes, he's a good example of the power of code in Sed2.

Last edited by Mischievous; 06-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Silo, replying to you here instead of your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo
And already found the editor but I thought we could have more controle such as changing some code or making a kind of top layer.
If I understand well, from the editor we can only change parameters, edit a level, right?

So there is no way I could place a piece of code in the game? Like getting the life of the character and triggering an event like "spawn specific monster"?
The example you give for code is part of making/editing a level in Serious Sam 2. It's called Macro; the coding language used by the game. It can do simple things like spawning enemies when you touch a touchfield, to making insanely uber complex things like an SRPG battle.

The only real issue with Macro here is that it only applies to individual levels. Most of the scripts I've put together that modify the behaviour of certain things aren't really for general use because I'd have to add them and whatever required entities to each and every level.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
Silo, replying to you here instead of your PM.

The example you give for code is part of making/editing a level in Serious Sam 2. It's called Macro; the coding language used by the game. It can do simple things like spawning enemies when you touch a touchfield, to making insanely uber complex things like an SRPG battle.

The only real issue with Macro here is that it only applies to individual levels. Most of the scripts I've put together that modify the behaviour of certain things aren't really for general use because I'd have to add them and whatever required entities to each and every level.
Yeah good idea to respond here, everybody can enjoy then.

And thank you for your answer.

I understood that seems to be no problem if we want to do in-game stuff from in-game variables. But what if I want to connect the game to an arduino device to control external stuff such as turn on light etc...? I have a c++ library for my arduino and I thought it could be possible to connect it with serious sam.
Maybe I could just write stuff out from serious sam to a pipe and read it from my library?

I know I might not be clear, ask me if you want more details.

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

So I went and looked what a arduino device is and it certainly sounds like a thing.
Hmmm. Not 100 percent sure, but I think Serious Editor 2 Macro is essentially a frontend for Lua. Not sure if that helps any, but yeah.
I have not found any way for SEd2/SS2 to interact with outside sources, so if anything, whatever setup you have would have to dig into the game to recieve whatever inputs... or something. I have no clue, really.