Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Default CannonLake

-> LINK <-

According to this link above, Intel's CannonLake looks cool, but may not be as cool as IceLake. It's my understand that the CannonLake is the "shrink die" stage (just a shrink with no major change) and the IceLake is the "architecture" stage (THE change).

CannonLake new features:
AVX-512 support
Core i7-9700K (8 cores and 16-threads)
"significantly more features than Coffee Lake"

Concerning "more cores"... correct me, is this that important? I can see 4 cores for home computers, yet what apps actually run all 4 cores? But I am not up-to-date with today's technology having taking advantage of utilize full 4 cores? However, I can see it's good for business servers (LAN) and web servers. Nonetheless, if i7-9700K is going to have 8 cores, I guess I gotta buy that one. We'll have to wait and see what base GHz it will be set at (again, "Turbo" isn't my interest). Above all, it will remain at LGA1151 socket.

One thing I am wondering about is heat. Since the die shrink, it's heat won't be able to dispatch out, making the heat more hotter in a more confine spot of the CPU. While traditional fans may work fine, wouldn't it seem more of a "must have" water cooling? Of course, I prefer to stay with fans rather have water cooling (water cooling can leak).

Being so busy with around the house and family, I STILL haven't had time to start a new desktop build, so this is something I can look forward to. Of course, I would be planning on Z390 MB, but don't know about Optane memory and M.2 drive yet!