Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Default Beyond Good and Evil

Hello.

I have the game Beyond Good and Evil, for free from the ubi freebies, and I think a gog freebie.
I have never played it.

I see there is a number 2 coming up of the game though, and it says 'the much anticipated' game for a looooong time coming.

So, I was wondering what kind of game the 1st one is?
What other game is the most close to it?
What elements does it have?
What did it do really well?
What was bad about it?

I am thinking about playing it, if it was such a great game.
And, 'just play it' doesnt really cut it, as I have a few games to get through, hehe.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Beyond Good and Evil

Posted for interest. I have the game in my Steam library, I'd like a reason to get into it.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I saw the trailer for BGE2 at E3 and I bought BGE on Steam right after. Still have to play it. I heard it's a great story and you really feel for the characters.

I also heard "just play it" so.. I think I will have to

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well it's this... Hmm. I guess action-adventure with some combat, some driving and racing around with a hoverboat, with light sneaking sections, and also photographing animals for money. Feels like there's a bit of everything.

In general it feels unique and it is definitely one of my all time favorites.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  

If you saw the E3 trailer for the sequel and it made you want to check out the original, forget about it. The only thing in common are the anthropomorphic animals and that the game is set in the future. There is no edgy action hero "motherfucking" bionic commando apes blowing up half the town just to escape to another planet in a space ship. You are a photo journalist who owns an orphanage.

What was special about the original game is that it had a heart. If Pixar(when it was still making great and original stories) were to make a video game it would be BGAE. The music, cartoony art style, characters, the humor... all is very charming and it really is like watching a great cartoon adventure that will give you a big smile on your face. The story is also pretty good, you always get just a tiny bit of info, and it makes you wonder what is really going on up until the end.

What kind of game is this close to ? I personally haven't played anything similar. The planet is at war and your island is under constant attacks. You start by working as a photo journalist taking photos of animals to pay bills so your orphanage can have an energy shield. Next thing you know you are doing various quests to buy parts for your boat so you can take a part in a race and sneak into secret facilities. And that boat... that is one epic boat, you will love it.

You are always doing something different; there are stealth/infiltration missions, races, chases, puzzles, hack and slash action, epic boss fights, 3D platforming, bar mini games... it's the sheer variety of things that is unique for such an old title, but nothing of those things will individually blow your mind in 2017. Stealth was far more advanced in Splinter Cell, and platforming and fighting was much better done in Prince Of Persia, both released by Ubisoft at the same time. You will feel how BGAE took a bit from both of these games. Racing, while fun, is of course better done in actual racing games, but you can't go on a stealth mission and later go home and play with your dog in those

This is the perfect game if you want to introduce your kid to action adventures, or if you want to feel like a kid going on an epic adventure, but if you want something more serious and challenging look elsewhere.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-16-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

The thing with me about games is I always go in to any game without expecting anything, so I'll be fine I wasn't expecting to be a badass monkey anyway

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well, since I am an FPS buff, I dont expect much in the way of anything but fighting and run-n-gun from my games.
But, since I have opened up to new genres (read, getting old, and fps games nowadays suck, bar a few), I have found that good games are good games no matter what (I read that somewhere recently).
I had a blast with Psychonauts, and I never thought I would. It was one of those 'you must play it' games.
I played Prince of Persia, as it was another 'you must play it' games, and it was one of the worst games I have ever played. I absolutely hate it.
The same with Citizen Kobuto. I absolutely hate it.
But, there have been some ok games, and some great games.

I didnt look at the video and think OMG I am gunna be a super robot monkey! The video actually turned me off.
It was everyones response to 'finally a new BGAE game is out!' that got my attention more.

And, Antonio's description sounds both promising, and discouraging. Because if the platforming is worse than Prince of Persia, then there is no way I will like it. No way.
But, the ability to do a lot of different things in 1 game appeals to me, as I get bored easily in games (which Psychonauts never bored me, woot).

I may just youtube an hour of the game to get a feel for if I will like it or not, one day when I am bed-bound.
Or, I might take it out for a test drive to see. Vrooom, Vroom!

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
The thing with me about games is I always go in to any game without expecting anything, so I'll be fine I wasn't expecting to be a badass monkey anyway
That sounds kind of contradictory when you said you rarely enjoy any games anymore and often refund.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Yeah, like Antonio said, it's a pretty hard game to compare to other games, because there really aren't many things like it. That's part of the reason why it has such a cult following. At the core I would consider it an open world platformer, but there are elements of racing, combat, stealth, and puzzles scattered around. The game consists of a really large hub world that is the main city. Once you unlock the hovercraft (which is one of the best parts of the game), you slowly reach new parts of the world through vehicle upgrades.

The quirky thing about the game is that it covers a very dark subject. The main character is a photojournalist who is trying to uncover the truth. Despite the very dark subject matter, the game can be very light-hearted at times and has a great uplifting musical score.

It's funny that you mention Psychonauts Dave, because that is the game I would probably most closely compare BGAE to. However, there are quite a few differences that I can't guarantee you will like BGAE if you liked Psychonauts. They scratch a similar itch, but do it in very different ways. Psychonauts was all about fresh worlds that haven't really been done before. While BGAE uses more unique gameplay, with the camera being a focal point for many parts of the game.

The biggest downside is that the controls haven't exactly aged well. Platforming and driving can be clunky and there will be many times you fail/die simply because the controls didn't respond the way you wanted. Likewise, there are a few segments where stealth is required (IIRC, you respawn at the last checkpoint if you are seen), which can be a bit cumbersome by today's standards. And like Antonio said, while the game covers many different genres of gaming, it doesn't particularly execute any single genre exceptionally.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
That sounds kind of contradictory when you said you rarely enjoy any games anymore and often refund.
Well, what can I say.. I'm picky when it comes to games

Old 06-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thanks NMR.
If by clunky controls you mean like Duke3d controls, then thats ok. If you mean Prince of Persia clunky, then I will probably not get past 10 minutes of the game.
It does sound interesting though.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

So just tried to run it, either I run it with flickering textures which is super glitchy, or I run it with 30 FPS which is not great. So uh.. I'll try it later, too tired now ._.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:25 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
And, Antonio's description sounds both promising, and discouraging. Because if the platforming is worse than Prince of Persia, then there is no way I will like it. No way.
But, the ability to do a lot of different things in 1 game appeals to me, as I get bored easily in games (which Psychonauts never bored me, woot).

I may just youtube an hour of the game to get a feel for if I will like it or not, one day when I am bed-bound.
Quote:
Thanks NMR.
If by clunky controls you mean like Duke3d controls, then thats ok. If you mean Prince of Persia clunky, then I will probably not get past 10 minutes of the game.
It does sound interesting though.
I didn't mean platforming is worse in BGAE, I meant platforming in POP is more advanced since that is a major part of that game. There are some similarities, but there aren't so many advanced moves like in POP games, it is more basic. Same with stealth. You don't do platforming and stealth all the time.

Also POP Sands Of Time is one of my favorite games; it has a great story, great supporting character, puzzles and there is nothing wrong with platforming. My guess would be you didn't play it enough to get used to different controls and mechanics, especially since your gaming background is very different from that type of games.

I already said you do a lot of things in this game, watching an hour on YouTube wont show you much. You will probably see one quest in the video, and miss the next quest where you will be doing something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
The quirky thing about the game is...
Did you just spoil a major story twist in this game ? I haven't played the game in years, but IIRC this is something you figure out later in the game, it's not obvious right away.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-17-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:09 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Damn... I think you are right. It's been a few years since I played as well so looked up a brief synopsis to remind myself. Looks like I forgot the major part of the synopsis is also part of a major twist. Maybe Dave and Scratch weren't paying close enough attention Anyway... Edited my post to only include story content you would find on the back of a retail box.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:32 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I try to never read too detailed descriptions of games/movies/series so that I don't get spoiled so I'm good

Old 06-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I didn't mean platforming is worse in BGAE, I meant platforming in POP is more advanced since that is a major part of that game. There are some similarities, but there aren't so many advanced moves like in POP games, it is more basic. Same with stealth. You don't do platforming and stealth all the time.

Also POP Sands Of Time is one of my favorite games; it has a great story, great supporting character, puzzles and there is nothing wrong with platforming. My guess would be you didn't play it enough to get used to different controls and mechanics, especially since your gaming background is very different from that type of games.
OK, so I dont care if its 'advanced'. Thats not a problem.
And, I played the Original Tomb Raiders to death, and they had 1000x better platforming and movement (on pc, KB/Mouse), that you could actually use, than POP has.
POP seemed to need a controller to use, not KB/Mouse.

I am not going to argue, but POP was one of the worst console ports for movement and jumping, that I have played.
Have there been worse? Yes.
But, that was so bad I couldnt play the game.

Last edited by Dave3d; 06-17-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
OK, so I dont care if its 'advanced'. Thats not a problem.
And, I played the Original Tomb Raiders to death, and they had 1000x better platforming and movement (on pc, KB/Mouse), that you could actually use, than POP has.
POP seemed to need a controller to use, not KB/Mouse.

I am not going to argue, but POP was one of the worst console ports for movement and jumping, that I have played.
Have there been worse? Yes.
But, that was so bad I couldnt play the game.
Yeah, if you were playing with a mouse/keyboard there is no point to argue, it wasn't designed for it. As much as one might be stubborn about it, a controller is an integral part of PC gaming as mouse and keyboard are. Certain games work better for certain types of input. It's like trying to play a RTS game with a controller and complaining it doesn't work, or sport and racing games with a keyboard/mouse, even if there is an option you shouldn't even bother.

With that being said, I know I played POP with a controller, but I don't remember how I played BGAE.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-17-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

WOW!
Check out this real time gameplay, and how HUGE the game actually is!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-space-flight/
Old 06-23-2017, 02:59 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Hmm. I dunno. HUGE game usually means negative things to me, especially from Ubisoft.

But it's just a tech demo, so we'll see.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Holy shit that looks impressive. If that's going to be in the real game that'll be great.