Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Default What are you playing?

...Time to cast a spell of *bring back thread from another dimension*!

So spam, uh I mean post, whatever stuff are you playing here and such. I'm bad at reintroducing new old threads. Uhm... Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados
It's been a long time.
...obviously I've played Portal 2; I'm now anxiously awaiting The Witcher 2 (got it on GOG.com) and the DNF demo. Also I've started playing Starcraft 1 again, even after all this time it's still a great game.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: What are you playing?

Been playing Portal 2 a lot. Like, I finished it 5 times now or something. Also, custom maps!

And soon Terraria, kind of like a 2D Minecraft.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

For the last month I have been playing Painkiller and the expansion Battle Out Of Hell.

For a 2004 game the graphics are amazing, the physics and weapons are great too, but the gameplay and level design sucks. Levels are huge but all the battles are in small areas.
And all the enemies are the same, they walk at you (not run) and some of them even shoot at you.

SS is 10x better.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Hmm, heard about that, watched some videos of it on youtube, but I don't find it that tempting.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  

If someone here spoils Portal 2 before I play it I will personally MURDER YOU !!!
I hope the spoiler tag still works!?
It works
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I've been playing Thesis. So far i've had a lot of issues with this SimPowerSystems monster that keeps wrecking all my progress. All in all, that clock is ticking down towards zero and i'm stuck at that SimPowerSystems monster that i just can't beat.

Or to put it a different way. I haven't really been playing anything lately.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I was playing the Witcher, trying to collect as many cards as I could, until my graphics card blew up. So, I spent the last month waiting for my RMA from ASUS.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

In the absence of S! I did a second runthrough of Dead Space 2 to experience the fun of being ridiculously overpowered at the start, replayed System Shock 2, did some random matches in UT2, and now I wait for my copies of Necrovision and Cryostasis to arrive.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Seriously playing?
Not on hold because the game is too boring?

Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Mafia 2 (for the 5th time)
SS:HD's once in a while
Portal 2 (stuck on 1 map, need to find a video how to get past)

Not so seriously (read: Boring):
Brink
Blur

WANT to complete, but game keeps messing up on me:
XIII
Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  

@Dave3d: I saw Hydrophobia: Prophecy on Steam and it looked interesting. Could you write a word or two about it.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Minecraft, thankfully not so much now that my addiction has started to wear off...

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition (now that I could finally upgrade it thanks to a Steam sale). Gambling sports chess board game tactical mega strategy game thingy. Playing it makes you feel very smart.

Continuing my Amnesia: The Dark Descent playthrough now that I manned up to play it again.

...And that's about it. I'd love to buy and play Portal 2 and the Witcher and Brink and all those fantastic new games out there, but I'm all out of money and dirt poor and they cost wayy too much. Plus I probably wouldn't have that much time to play them anyway.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Don't you still have a massive backlog from those Steam sales in the past?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Nope? Only game I haven't played is Flatout: Ultimate Carnage, because it completely refuses to start on my PC. Good thing I only wasted like two euros on it.

I do have some "sale-bought" or otherwise cheap games I only play occasionally, like Overlord 2, Gothic 3 FG EE or Monday Night Combat, but they've been worth their price. And I'm stuck on OL2 atm, I'd play it if I could progress beyond a certain part (which I'm beginning to think might be bugged ).
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
@Dave3d: I saw Hydrophobia: Prophecy on Steam and it looked interesting. Could you write a word or two about it.
Sure.
I pre-ordered it, as it looked new and interesting.
There were a few bugs when it came out, but the devs put out 4 patches in the first week!
Most of the game stopping bugs have been fixed. I havent run into 1 gamestopper since patch 4.

So:
Gameplay:
Very unique.
But, with unique, comes some issues.

The water is just done VERY well. The physics of it are great. But, they are also frustrating sometimes. Like, waves push you under, and you try to pop up top of it, and you sometimes get a up/down/up/down/up/down view, above then below water. It is realistic, but it kind of sux when you are trying to aim, or look around.

The swimming is great.

There really is no tutorial at all. You have to figure things out for yourself, ask, or find a video. Sometimes, it gets frustrating, not knowing what to do. But, you can toggle an indicator (to tell you where-abouts to go, although it isnt useful sometimes), or turn it off and figure it out yourself.
There is absolutely NO hand holding at all (besides that direction indicator).

You can kill enemies multiple ways:
Shooting them.
Stunning then, and if they are in water, they drown.
Shooting stuff to electrocute them.
Shooting stuff to set them on fire.
Throw them into the air, using 'water powers', and dash them on things below.

There are things to 'find' in the game. Though not a lot, there are things to find that make exploration more likely, if you into finding everything in a game.

you can play with KB/Mouse just fine, except 1 thing: There is Step Left/Right, instead of Strafe Left/Right. Probably better with a controller, because of this, although it is still playable (I am playing mouse/kb).

There FOV is low (I would guess between 60 and 65), with no way to change it.
The Bloom is not changeable (but not bad for me, although some people have issues).
Every key can be re-bound. Even the mouse keys (although I think they only have 4 mouse button support).
Not a whole lot of gfraffix options (but, my system can play it maxxed out, w/o MSAA).
MSAA makes the game really choppy.
60 to 100hz monitor support.
All resolutions supported.
They have a built in Dev-Report feature, where you can rank up or down a room, a situation, a gameplay element, or anything else. Really gives you a good feeeling that the devs want to make a good game, and give the fans what they want.

So, is it any good?
I really like it, even with all its faults.
I am trudging through on easy right now, and will definitely be playing again on a harder level after I finish it.
I am really wanting there to be more gameplay, and I havent even finished the game yet.

Story-wise, I dont really pay much attention to stories. And, I havent payed much attention to this games story either.
Only story I ever really got into was Metro 2033's story.

So, verdict:
Good game, with issues and frustrations.

Last edited by Dave3d; 05-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  

@Dave3d: I said a word or two, and I got the whole review. Thanks. I will put it on my "to buy list". What I like the most in games is unique gameplay and good atmosphere. I hope I will be able to handle all the issues though.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Yep, it is unique, and the atmoshphere is good too.
As long as you have a pretty up to date system, and no controllers (cant play with kb/mouse with any controller plugged in), and dont use msaa, you should be good.
Was wotrth the $10 for me anyway.
And, that wasnt a review.
I will be doing a review once I finish the game.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Continuing my Amnesia: The Dark Descent playthrough now that I manned up to play it again.
You're a brave man.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Oh yea, kinda forgot, finished the Amnesia mini-expansion on Saturday.

In any case, The Witcher 2 is here! Great joy and such.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I've been playing Final Fantasy VII on ePSXe these past few months, never having played it before. I can see how it got so popular, the story's still top-notch and it really feels similar to FFIX with the world map and all. Wish Square made those retro style FF games again with turn based combat, they're just somehow more interesting than their later games and don't have so many metrosexual characters all over the place.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Turns out I lost my Witcher 1 saves... I think I'm gonna replay that before starting the Witcher 2.

Oh yea, also finished Prey today. What can I say, it's a pretty great game. Looks nice (idTech4 is great!), the portals, the gravity puzzles, the spirit phase-shift thing and the weird weapons make it stand out from your run of the mil FPS, but the death system does take some of the challenge out (although I guess you're free to play through the game focusing on not dying at all). Oh yea, and the intro is fantastic; first of all, it has Judas Priest on a jukebox! Then there's all that environment intractability in the bar! I just love interacting with random objects like toilets and slot machines and... uhm.. I mean in-game; dunno why but stuff like that in an FPS game always cheers me up.

Last edited by evil_Vasile; 05-17-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I've been playing Final Fantasy VII on ePSXe these past few months, never having played it before. I can see how it got so popular, the story's still top-notch and it really feels similar to FFIX with the world map and all. Wish Square made those retro style FF games again with turn based combat, they're just somehow more interesting than their later games and don't have so many metrosexual characters all over the place.
Unfortunately I think those classic JRPG's are a dying breed. The last good ones that I played were Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360, both made by Mistwalker, which is headed by the original creator of Final Fantasy. I certainly hope to see more games like that in the future..
Old 05-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_Vasile View Post
Then there's all that environment intractability in the bar! I just love interacting with random objects like toilets and slot machines and... uhm.. I mean in-game; dunno why but stuff like that in an FPS game always cheers me up.
Same here , I remember playing Max Payne and interacting with dozens of in game objects. Pure fun !
Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_Vasile View Post
Oh yea, also finished Prey today. What can I say, it's a pretty great game. Looks nice (idTech4 is great!), the portals, the gravity puzzles, the spirit phase-shift thing and the weird weapons make it stand out from your run of the mil FPS, but the death system does take some of the challenge out (although I guess you're free to play through the game focusing on not dying at all). Oh yea, and the intro is fantastic; first of all, it has Judas Priest on a jukebox! Then there's all that environment intractability in the bar! I just love interacting with random objects like toilets and slot machines and... uhm.. I mean in-game; dunno why but stuff like that in an FPS game always cheers me up.
I just finished my second play of Prey, and I have to say my opinion of it got worse the longer it went on. I liked it more when it was a nostalgic memory. The main character is so winy, the movement is awkward, the supporting cast is full of assholes that don't really like the character you play as trying to change him at all cost when all he wants is to live with his girlfriend in a community that isn't dying around itself, the combat is annoying, the weapons while unique aren't fun to use...

I couldnt stand it this time around.

__

I'm now going back and forth between Minecraft and Serious Sam: The First Encounter.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well, just finished Hydrophobia.
Will go back to Portal 2 now.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  

Crap.

I just got Amnesia: The Dark Descent for free on OnLive. I hate scary games because I'm a wuss, but I have to try it anyway. I can't resist.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

The game may not be all that free for those with bandwidth caps. I'd rather buy it on Steam and do a one-time download.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Goat Pig View Post
I just finished my second play of Prey, and I have to say my opinion of it got worse the longer it went on. I liked it more when it was a nostalgic memory. The main character is so winy, the movement is awkward, the supporting cast is full of assholes that don't really like the character you play as trying to change him at all cost when all he wants is to live with his girlfriend in a community that isn't dying around itself, the combat is annoying, the weapons while unique aren't fun to use...

I couldnt stand it this time around.
Note to self: don't play Prey a second time.

I found the chargeable-gun-thing to be quite fun, especially when it was lightning-charged hehe... The acid-shotgun-like weapon was also nice, I think that's as close as I'll ever get to playing a Hydralisk in an FPS.

Last edited by evil_Vasile; 05-18-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Then again, I'm not sure how much I really liked it in the first place.

I never liked Tommy though, even though I agreed with him about getting out of the reservation. Winy little bitch...
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
The game may not be all that free for those with bandwidth caps. I'd rather buy it on Steam and do a one-time download.
Oh believe me, I'd much prefer getting it for free on Steam than getting it for free on OnLive . But I don't have a bandwidth cap, so it is free for me. Still, whether or not their service is even worth playing a game for free on, I'm not so sure. The last few times I tried it, the compression on the video looked awful and the lag was pretty bad too.

Then again, maybe the compression and lag will ruin the atmosphere enough to make Amnesia playable for me.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

You'd actually try OnLive? ON A QUALITY GAME LIKE AMNESIA, WHERE THE ATHMOSPHERE COUNTS FOR 90% OF THE GAME'S VALUE?!?

No way man. It deserves to be played on your PC, there's no reason to run it on OnLive if you have 9,99 spare cash (and I think it's only 4,99 on D2D too).

Can OnLive even run it in 1080p at 60 fps?