Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #3961   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: Random game talk

I mean, I seriously hope the lack of swastikas bothers you more than the presence of women.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #3962   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

I'm not that bothered with the lack of swastikas because one of the reason I liked BF1942 so much (aside from bots) is that it focused on the Pacific campaign against the Japs as well, which is something not many WW2 games do.

Now I'm not a misogynist or anything, but I prefer my WW2 arenas to be sausagefests only. Not because I have any issues with killing women or having female soldiers, but I just want a historically accurate multiplayer experience, not a Rule 63 alternate universe experience. I wouldn't mind if it's something like a Quake 2 deathmatch, but if you're gonna make a deathmatch game set in the Jurassic age, then there better not be any apes in it.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #3963   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

One of the games I know with female soldiers apart from Quake, Unreal, etc is Wolfenstein (most series), though they actually make a good addition to the game as well and they are also seen pretty early, but only on a few levels, and the way they dress is quite hillarious sometimes. But i don't mind having female characters on games as main characters (or choosable characters).. IN terms of World war games, (kind of) I did like Battlefield 2142 as well but it did get a little boring after a while - but at first it was addictive with bot play and all.. Though they are really tough sometimes (or maybe it's just my skill level...)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #3964   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I'm playing through Wolfenstein The New Order right now and there's nothing too strange about female soldiers in that game. It is a little weird and it does stand out a bit but it's an alternate universe where the Nazis won anyway. The women are also fairly interesting and well-developed characters.

The problem is that a lot of people turn this issue into a debate about whether or not the people complaining are misogynistic or not. I don't see why a game has to sacrifice historical accuracy in the multiplayer component. It stands out to me because they are doing it to be progressive. It is like a disease that has spread through so many modern games and throughout other fields where it has no business. If I were a developer creating a WWII themed game, the last thing on my mind would be to shoehorn some women into combat roles.

If they wanted to go the alternate universe approach, then fine. That's not the case here. I just like to be immersed in the experience. A game doesn't need to be 200% historically accurate for me to get lost in it but when there are women running around, yelling, and dying in a WWII battlefield, it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #3965   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

It didn't really seem like Nazis back in Wolfenstein New Order (they changed it I think either because they wanted to get it sold in Germany but I don't know that rumour).. But the game was great though I enjoyed many of the characters but the female characters are good as well and i don't see why a lot of people complain.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #3966   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
It didn't really seem like Nazis back in Wolfenstein New Order (they changed it I think either because they wanted to get it sold in Germany but I don't know that rumour).. But the game was great though I enjoyed many of the characters but the female characters are good as well and i don't see why a lot of people complain.
What? How did it not seem like Nazis? They explicitly talk about killing Nazis at several points in the game. Swastikas aren't very prominent I guess but you are clearly fighting against Nazis and they don't try to hide that fact. I also don't remember anyone complaining about female characters in Wolfenstein. They are all well-written and they're not forced into roles for the sole purpose of meeting social justice quotas. Caroline Becker isn't a soldier, she's the leader of the resistance movement and I don't think there's anything weird about that.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 AM   #3967   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
It's multiplayer.. if you want historical accuracy, just play single player.
Or play a better game, like the first CoD, or Medal of Honour Allied Assault. There is absolutely no reason to reward cucked media for the sake of adding stuff for the shallowest sense of progressivism with your money when far better alternatives from eras past and present exist.

I'd say skip CoD WW2, get Wolf II TNC instead. Now that's one game that gave me a gore boner.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #3968   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Sure, if you don't want to play it, don't play it

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)