Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Default Serious sam 3 speedrun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSvhdE7WYA

Check out my speedrun of this game. Is it good?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker
Default Re: Serious sam 3 speedrun

Yep, it is.
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Geez, and I was planning on getting a full run up first. That's what I get for slacking. Just earlier today I recorded the first 4 levels speedran on Tourist.
Anyways, I have done a full run (just not recorded) of 55 minutes and 1 second under Tourist difficulty. Mind you, most of my speed comes from bypassing entire sections of levels. Also taking advantage of tourist difficulty by tanking mass amounts of damage.

Anyways, as for your run:

Summer in Cairo:
Never knew that hammer was there... not that I need it in my route.

Into the Spider's Nest:
Pretty standard. Never knew about that double-barreled shotgun.

Broken Wings:
There actually is a shortcut secret in the level that you missed; allows you to skip going the roundabout in the mosque. Also holding off on triggering the end battle in the center of the mosque wastes quite a bit of time. Even though there were tens of kleers on your ass, rocketeers aren't really that hard to dodge. Also if you used that secret, you wouldn't have the enemies from the previous area mixed in with the ones you actually have to kill.
Oh, and I don't actually use that shortcut secret. There is actually a much better, unlabeled one.

No Place To Hide:
I don't think I've seen, like, any of the first or last parts of the level before; always went over them.

Under an Iron Cloud:
You can go over that building at the end of the starting road if you try hard enough.

The Silent Riddler:
Pretty standard Sandwhale skip. Didn't know you could use the awnings to jump over the gate; always used a Werebull.
Also, just noticed that the game sticks a Sirian Bracelet on you when you trigger that end fight chapter. Makes sense with how it's implemented, but still interesting.

Unearthing the Sun:
Fun thing: you're actually slowed down in the underground sections. Which is part of the reason why I bypass it completely in this level. I go straight from the first fight area to the end trigger.

The Dark Bride:
Ah, I see you found that skip with getting up on the walls. However, you lack a minigun at this point; you are given one automatically in the next level, but the firepower would've helped (you can get one as a secret in an earlier level).

The Power of The Underworld:
Initially, I loathed this level because I couldn't find any way to skip everything like in "Unearthing the Sun". I may have laughed maniacally when I found a way.
Also, in that final battle area, there are 6 specific enemies you need to kill to spawn the warship boss. Saves a lot of time if you find and pinpoint them.

The Lost Temples of Nubia:
Pretty standard. I wouldn't have stopped to kill the enemies and get the Rocket Launcher, but then again, you're playing on not-Tourist.

The Last Man on Earth:
Pretty standard.
There are actually more gas canisters then you need in that last area; that second one you picked up is one of the farthest out ones.

The Gaurdian of Time:
Huh, I've actually tried to go around that way at the start by making sandwhale travel into the "safe" area and travel for a long distance, then sprinting out while Sandwhale is forever-and-a-day away... didn't actually work though. Never got it to glitch like that.
I do something similar for the last part, but on the other side.
By the way, going around the first part is actually slower; the first area is actually pretty straight-forward and isn't completely congested with enemies; the second half, on the other hand...

Well, those are my thoughts.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
Geez, and I was planning on getting a full run up first. That's what I get for slacking. Just earlier today I recorded the first 4 levels speedran on Tourist.
Anyways, I have done a full run (just not recorded) of 55 minutes and 1 second under Tourist difficulty. Mind you, most of my speed comes from bypassing entire sections of levels. Also taking advantage of tourist difficulty by tanking mass amounts of damage.

Anyways, as for your run:

Summer in Cairo:
Never knew that hammer was there... not that I need it in my route.

Into the Spider's Nest:
Pretty standard. Never knew about that double-barreled shotgun.

Broken Wings:
There actually is a shortcut secret in the level that you missed; allows you to skip going the roundabout in the mosque. Also holding off on triggering the end battle in the center of the mosque wastes quite a bit of time. Even though there were tens of kleers on your ass, rocketeers aren't really that hard to dodge. Also if you used that secret, you wouldn't have the enemies from the previous area mixed in with the ones you actually have to kill.
Oh, and I don't actually use that shortcut secret. There is actually a much better, unlabeled one.

No Place To Hide:
I don't think I've seen, like, any of the first or last parts of the level before; always went over them.

Under an Iron Cloud:
You can go over that building at the end of the starting road if you try hard enough.

The Silent Riddler:
Pretty standard Sandwhale skip. Didn't know you could use the awnings to jump over the gate; always used a Werebull.
Also, just noticed that the game sticks a Sirian Bracelet on you when you trigger that end fight chapter. Makes sense with how it's implemented, but still interesting.

Unearthing the Sun:
Fun thing: you're actually slowed down in the underground sections. Which is part of the reason why I bypass it completely in this level. I go straight from the first fight area to the end trigger.

The Dark Bride:
Ah, I see you found that skip with getting up on the walls. However, you lack a minigun at this point; you are given one automatically in the next level, but the firepower would've helped (you can get one as a secret in an earlier level).

The Power of The Underworld:
Initially, I loathed this level because I couldn't find any way to skip everything like in "Unearthing the Sun". I may have laughed maniacally when I found a way.
Also, in that final battle area, there are 6 specific enemies you need to kill to spawn the warship boss. Saves a lot of time if you find and pinpoint them.

The Lost Temples of Nubia:
Pretty standard. I wouldn't have stopped to kill the enemies and get the Rocket Launcher, but then again, you're playing on not-Tourist.

The Last Man on Earth:
Pretty standard.
There are actually more gas canisters then you need in that last area; that second one you picked up is one of the farthest out ones.

The Gaurdian of Time:
Huh, I've actually tried to go around that way at the start by making sandwhale travel into the "safe" area and travel for a long distance, then sprinting out while Sandwhale is forever-and-a-day away... didn't actually work though. Never got it to glitch like that.
I do something similar for the last part, but on the other side.
By the way, going around the first part is actually slower; the first area is actually pretty straight-forward and isn't completely congested with enemies; the second half, on the other hand...

Well, those are my thoughts.
thanks for your comment. if you post your own run someday, it would be interesting to watch it, and those skips you talked about that I didnt use, sounds really interesting. the reason I did this run on normal, is because I think it doesnt look so impressive if its on tourist. Why I think it that way is because I was watching some speedrun of serious sam the first encounter before I even started recording this, there in the comments section some people complained about it being on tourist difficulty, saying its too easy. I would have done on tourist if there werent anyone complaining about it, but normal difficulty was a nice challenge too. And about those skips you speak of, they sound really interesting, because when I was running those levels, I dont think I even bothered trying to find a skip, because there were so many high walls/objects that didnt look like they would be possible to skip. And as you said at the last man on earth level, there are more gas canisters to pick, I noticed that when I was watching my run before uploading it. And the part in guardian of time, that was a I call it sandwhale delay glitch, which makes the sandwhale either attack constantly, not giving itself time to go near you to attack, just attacking constantly while trying to get near you, or making itself get delayed so it wouldnt catch me while I run. But in this run the "sandwhale attack constantly" kind of delay happened. And I dont think it would have been faster to run accross the enemies rather than run around the mountains, because there are too many beheaded kamikazees what I couldnt pass + there were a major biomechanoid and I think it was 1-3 scrapjacks too. If it were on tourist difficulty, it maybe would have been possible for me to run accross them.

As I said earlier, it would be interesting to see another persons speedrun of this game too. The only speedruns of this game Ive found on youtube is unfortunately, speedruns of summer in cairo only. And thanks for your comment again.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly7745
And I dont think it would have been faster to run accross the enemies rather than run around the mountains, because there are too many beheaded kamikazees what I couldnt pass + there were a major biomechanoid and I think it was 1-3 scrapjacks too. If it were on tourist difficulty, it maybe would have been possible for me to run accross them.
Well, faster, not safer. Yeah, that area is still a bit brutal to dash through, even on Tourist. Could possibly get through with some strategic weapon fire to disable the scrapjacks and take out the kazis. You are also given one cannonball, which could be used on the biomech.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

It's nice, I'll never finish the game in 1:35 xD

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Imagine if someone now does "Max-possible" run.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Thats a good speedrun you've done. Too bad i have to wait for the console version to play SS 3
I know this isn't the place to talk about it, but, i started a knife and revolver only run on TFE.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

So SS3 speedrun takes an hour and a half... Baldur's Gate could be made in 35 minutes. And who's giving us the longest experience?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

I am planning on getting my speedrun up at some point, I'm just slacking a bit. Probably the main reason being that I'd really want to do it all in one run; even though it's segmented, I don't want to patch together different parts from completely different attempts. This also means I'd have to have a long stretch of time to actually attempt the entire run. Since it is segmented, I'd want to get it as perfect as I can, which means tons of reloading and doing parts over.

Following this is a list of my current best times. "Ingame Estimate" is the silly time par Croteam tacked on the levels. "Full Time" is the time shown the just before the level ends (which includes (what I don't skip of) cutscenes), and the "Play Time" is what the game actually tracks. I've only recently done a full run of up to "Unearthing the Sun", so the times past that are from my first attempt (except "Total Time", which is just all the times added up). Also didn't keep track of my "Full Time"s for that first run. Oh, and note that this is on Tourist difficulty:
Code:
				 Ingame	    	     My Best Times
 Level Name:			Estimate:	Full Time:	Play Time:	
Summer in Cairo			  10:00		 01:42		 01:41
Into the Spider's Nest		  15:00		 02:13		 02:13
Broken Wings			  30:00		 05:23		 05:22
No Place To Hide		  30:00		 02:17		 02:17
Under an Iron Cloud		  40:00		 03:10		 03:09
The Silent Riddler		  40:00		 06:59		 06:58
Unearthing the Sun		  40:00		 02:39		 02:38
The Dark Bride			  60:00		 --:--		 05:44*
The Power of The Underworld	  60:00		 --:--		 05:42*
The Lost Temples of Nubia	  45:00		 --:--		 03:31*
The Last Man on Earth		  50:00		 --:--		 05:49*
The Gaurdian of Time		1:20:00		 --:--		 04:25*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Time:			8:20:00		 --:--		(48:13)
Main issue I have is any part where I actually have to go and hunt down every last enemy in a large area, which is really only in "Broken Wings" and "The Silent Riddler"... especially the latter, where that last enemy always seems to get hung up on a structure somewhere far away. I also find choosing a weapon to use is an issue in that section, as I do have the Laser Gun and Minigun by that point, but I pick up no extra ammo for either.

Last edited by Ryason55; 04-03-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

samsamsam is offline Send a message via Yahoo to samsamsam

Nice speedrun!

You save a lt of canonball for some boss. I sure you can faster if you use it.

Speedrun is hard that the player should play and record at the same time.
The realtime recording cost more resource of computer.
Maybe people can rush out faster in "The Gaurdian of Time" but it is not easily to record.

So, this is good speedrun !

Samuel Free World- Part 2(75%)

include- Samuel Free World- Part 2-Go To Sky.

ZZZZZzzz...
Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Pony Fanatic

ChJees is offline Send a message via MSN to ChJees

One thing that bothered me is that you used your weapons pretty inefficently . Why did you use the Assault Rifle on any enemies tougher than Gnaars\Headless soldiers\Clones?
Otherwise nice speedrun.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I saw a lot of room for improvement. Could have shaved a lot of time off if you had changed to more effective weapons in the long run. Your use of the shotgun and Assault Rifle on larger enemies was wasteful. You may think that you are conserving ammo for later, but you had plenty left after each battle.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

Definitelly Biomech boss was a mistake. If you could handle three Kleers just with melee, why not save shotgun ammo to kill him faster? Some AR could probably be picked as well. Also, you didn't use secret speedrun shortcut on that map, which I believe would be worth it.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I noticed that this run has been posted on the Serious Sam official group's wall on facebook. Nice!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

The secret speedrun secret in Broken Wings would require very precise shooting in one part, and it may not be worth it if you're trying to do it all in one go instead of segments.

You should do a speedrun of SS HD as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Run forrest run
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

I already comment on your video, but again, Nice Run

Maybe you want to see my Coop Speedrun of Guardian of Time, it's a kind of special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Hb7Kb62F4