Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Default Should Croteam reboot Will Rock?

I'd really want to know if it would be a good idea if croteam taking the Will Rock ip and make a reboot of the game. In my opinion, it would be great to see it refined and re-imagined on the latest serious engine and I know they are able to do something special with this game. I played this game quite a bit and loved its theme a lot and has a wacky kickass weapons arsenal and unique enemies that mach the games theme.
I'd really want the new release of this underrated game, but I am not sure if it will be a good idea to do so

What do you think?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian
Default Re: Should Croteam reboot Will Rock?

How do you suppose Croteam could just "take" an IP?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
How do you suppose Croteam could just "take" an IP?
They technically could talk to the current owners of the IP and be like "Yo, how 'bout a HD remake of Will Rock?" and they'd be like "*moneybag-eyes* yeaaa!"

But even if things worked that way in reality, they really shouldn't

Croteam should just focus on making SS4 amazing and then making whatever new interesting things they might make.

Talos took me by surprise and now I'm curious what else Croteam might release in the future that isn't Sam related.

That's not to say I wouldn't play a remake of Will Rock if anyone ever made one. The only thing I really remember is minotaurs and killing Zeus with a shovel, so I'd gladly replay a HD remake thing.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I hope it won't come with a virus like the demo I tried 14 years ago that made me never touch that game ever again. (It also played like ass. )

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

YEAH! I like your idea!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  

I think SS4 will rock, so you don't have to worry about it
Old 01-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I hope it won't come with a virus like the demo I tried 14 years ago that made me never touch that game ever again. (It also played like ass. )
It runs pretty well on win7 in compatibility mode, but it has the frequent and annoying graphical glitch where the floor texture disappears (but that's about it, I remember 11 years ago when I got the game, it ran flawlessly on the winXP without any minor or major annoyances).
I have played a quite a bit more of it to see if this graphical glitch disappear, and it does, somewhat.
I haven't played enough of it to see if this problem fully disappears.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  

Exclamation Re: Should Croteam reboot Will Rock?

Well, it's not a reboot, but I have news about the next best thing.

On widescreen gaming forums I posted a FOV fix to play the game in widescreen using Cheat Engine. Then a guy showed up, made a hex edit, so you don't need Cheat Engine anymore(unless you really need some fancy custom FOV), plus he posted a fix that removed the DirectX 7 resolution limit of 2048x2048, so now you can play the game in 4K, widescreen/ultrawidescreen/multi monitor setup... He also says it fixes some texture issues on NVIDIA cards, but I can't confirm this, since I have an AMD card and never had issues. It may be the issue comrade451 mentions above.

Then I figured out you can turn off LOD switching in the game via the config file, so the game renders highest quality models even when far away from the player and not a bunch of weird shapes, making the enemies look better than ever.

Also, it seems that the problem with running the game on modern operating systems may be the SafeDisc DRM. So, if you had trouble running the game on Windows 7 or later, you may have no choice, but to use a No-CD fix. I only have 2 people confirm this, so it's not 100% definitive fix.

With all this you can play the game on very high resolutions, in widescreen, at 250 FPS, with LOD turned off, then you can force AA and AF in the GPU control panel and you can rock like never before. Unfortunately nothing can be done to improve the mediocre gameplay

WSGF threads
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32003
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31974

PC Gaming Wiki page
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Will_Rock

http://i.imgur.com/eNDY398.png

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-21-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Having played this as a kid and would love to see the IP rebooted, I say YES!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

That looks pretty awesome, but since Will Rock currently isn't on any digital platform and it's long since been out of print there's a very low chance of getting a copy now, excluding less than legal methods.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  

Exclamation Re: Should Croteam reboot Will Rock?

It seems there actually was a Will Rock "reboot" already. It's called God Mode and was released on Steam in 2013 by the same company. It's some kind of 4 player coop shooter set in Hades and if you watch the video and check out the images you will see many enemies are straight out of Will Rock like the Atlas statue you see in my screesnot, then the axe throwing minotaur, skeletons, birds, etc. not to mention the ancient Greek architecture.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227480/
Old 03-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I've actually bought God Mode at release. It's not as fun as it seems, the first few hours are awesome but it has some terrible design choices.

• On your own it's hard to play on anything but easy mode, the game is meant for co-op and it shows: There's way too much enemies for one player, and yet there are no players.
  • There's only a few levels, there were probably plans for paid DLC but disappointing sales killed it.
  • Leveling takes forever, I refer to my first point. The game is meant to be played with friends and grinding your way up together.

It's still a nice game though, I imagine having community events with it would be very fun.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thanks for the God Mode ref.
Looks like I would play coop, and its cheap enough for my steam wallet.

As for Will Rock, I had no problems finding a used copy online a few years ago.
Yes, it was buggy as all get out, and somewhat boring, but if done in a newer engine and a tad bit differently (instead of 1997 gameplay, maybe a little more updated without triggers and such), I think it could 'Rock'.
This to me would seem to be right up DoubleFine's alley. And Croteam doing the remake? Heck yeah!