Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Default Prey (2)

Looks cool, from just a trailer (which means the trailer looks cool).
NOTHING like the orifinal, but we already know that. (I just wish they would name it something other than Prey, as it looks more like F.E.A.R. than Prey, ironically, since we have been talking about fear latelt):

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...r/#more-388159

https://youtu.be/LNHZ9WAertc

PS:
I tried to finsd the Prey 2 thread, but couldnt find it. Is the search function messed up? Went all the way back to 2005 and didnt see it. I know we had a thread about it).
Old 08-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Prey (2)

Prey was an experience, and that's what it was meant to be. I'll reserve judgment until I've actually played it, but the trailer looks pretty interesting, and it looks a lot like the screenshots we've been shown before it was canceled. Also, it's by the same developers who made Dishonored, so that's a plus.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

Maybe the original thread was deleted in that server crash we had, I think P2 was announced in that time.

The first teaser trailer looked cool to me, this new gameplay not so much.

BTW: There is already a Battlefield 1 thread on the second page, but it is named it "World War 1 game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Prey was an experience, and that's what it was meant to be. I'll reserve judgment until I've actually played it, but the trailer looks pretty interesting, and it looks a lot like the screenshots we've been shown before it was canceled. Also, it's by the same developers who made Dishonored, so that's a plus.
What ? The bounty hunter one ?

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-07-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Yeah, I dont get that it looks anything lijke the 1st Prey 2 either.
It looks like a FEAR game to me (from just that trailer), and nothing like the original Prey 2 (which is a good thing for me, as it looks like a game I would actually play now, lol).
Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is online now Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

I have documented many times over why I hated Prey. This looks like it only has two enemies...
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 08-08-2016, 04:04 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What ? The bounty hunter one ?
I guess so, I hadn't paid much attention to it but I saw some screenshots. This was over half a decade ago, mind you, so my memory might not be reliable.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well that look nothing like Prey 1 - Look like Fear x Half Life head crabs
Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

LOL

http://www.shacknews.com/article/962...-original-game

Quote:

Speaking with Prey director Ralph Colantonio at last week's QuakeCon, GameSpot asked the Arkane Studios developer why the game uses the Prey name if it has no ties to either the 2006 original or the cancelled sequel previously in development at Human Head Studios.

Colantonio's answer: the thematic elements, while not directly related, are close enough. "Well it was a matter of, first of all it's hard to find a name for a game, and it's a good name--sounds good. I think the association that people have about Prey is that it's about aliens on a space station, and it's a first-person game. When we were done with Dishonored, part of the team did Dishonored 2, and the other part [of Arkane]... we wanted to do another one of those games that we usually do, which are in first-person, with depth and simulation and narration, all that."

That, and going with an established brand, as opposed to a new or poorly received one, made sense to Arkane. "This time we wanted to make it on a space station, with aliens, and you had to survive with the full ecology, etc. As we started it, the name was available, and the connections were easy to be made. We just thought, 'Okay, makes sense,' so there we go."

Prey 2006 was developed by Human Head and published by 2K. After acquiring the rights, Bethesda evaluated Human Head's progress on Prey 2 and exercised its right to shelve the title.

Bethesda marketing chief Pete Hines recently explained that Prey 2 was cancelled because "it wasn't shaping up to be what we wanted."
LOL
So, we make games, right? And we wanted to make a game. So, we started making a game. And instead of making the game with a new name, we just chose a name everyone knows.
Makes sense, right? Why not. There it is.
LOL

Going by this, Croteam should have named 'The Talos Principle' 'Serious Sam 4' instead.

LOL
I really cant stop laughing.
LOL

Last edited by Dave3d; 08-08-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  

Saying Prey is a recognizable brand and that everybody knows it is far from the truth. Prey was never a popular game, heck, you can't even buy it anywhere for almost 10 years now, it never even got a online release. It is just a good name for a game, the original IP was dead, and they just took the name.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

In the USA it was a pretty big AAA title.
AND, with a native indian as the HERO (which was unprecedented, usually they were the 'bad' guys in every game).
And, anti-gravity, wall walking, ceiling walking, was very innovative at the time.
The graphics were pretty darn good too for the time.

It was really about a native indian, who's GF and he and his grandpa got kidnapped (by aliens), and they tried to escape of course, but the grandpa taught the native american guy the 'old indian ways' while trying to escape and deal with his being kidnapped situation. He learned about his people, their background (at first he was like F the old ways, this is the 2000's, get with it, all you old indians are just fools and dont keep up with the times).
Anyway, he learns about his heritage, the old ways, why the old indians believed what they did, and came to his ancestrial 'roots'.

THATS what the game was about.
The aliens were really just a background for the native Indian's 'growth' and 'spirituality' and 'heritage'.
The aliens could have been anything (and, personally, I thought they were symbolically the 'round eyes' white people who brought so much pain and suffering to the native indians. basically the story was how the native indians got screwed over, and they inserted aliens as the white people).
And, aliens were popular at the time, and bashing us crackers wouldnt have gone over well at all.

My opine anyway.

Last edited by Dave3d; 08-09-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:47 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Saying Prey is a recognizable brand and that everybody knows it is far from the truth. Prey was never a popular game, heck, you can't even buy it anywhere for almost 10 years now, it never even got a online release. It is just a good name for a game, the original IP was dead, and they just took the name.
possibly the same thing that happened with Strife, a 1996 fps-rpg hybrid, that every time I mention it to my friends they think of some shitty moba that came out recently with an identical name
Old 08-09-2016, 03:53 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

You mean native Americans. Native Indians live in India.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
That's pretty far from the truth. It's wasn't nearly as popular as contemporary triple-A titles, but it had enough popularity. Prey had a collector's edition, CD soundtrack for sale separately, Mac and Linux ports (which wasn't common back then), and the fact that a sequel was worked on means it sold well enough to merit it. Hell, the game was on Steam for years. 2K games holds the publishing rights for Prey, and when Valve ran out of Steam keys to sell 2K didn't give enough of two shits to make new keys so the game was removed. I have the game on Steam because you can still activate retail keys there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
In the USA it was a pretty big AAA title.
AND, with a native indian as the HERO (which was unprecedented, usually they were the 'bad' guys in every game).
And, anti-gravity, wall walking, ceiling walking, was very innovative at the time.
The graphics were pretty darn good too for the time.

It was really about a native indian, who's GF and he and his grandpa got kidnapped (by aliens), and they tried to escape of course, but the grandpa taught the native american guy the 'old indian ways' while trying to escape and deal with his being kidnapped situation. He learned about his people, their background (at first he was like F the old ways, this is the 2000's, get with it, all you old indians are just fools and dont keep up with the times).
Anyway, he learns about his heritage, the old ways, why the old indians believed what they did, and came to his ancestrial 'roots'.

THATS what the game was about.
The aliens were really just a background for the native Indian's 'growth' and 'spirituality' and 'heritage'.
The aliens could have been anything (and, personally, I thought they were symbolically the 'round eyes' white people who brought so much pain and suffering to the native indians. basically the story was how the native indians got screwed over, and they inserted aliens as the white people).
And, aliens were popular at the time, and bashing us crackers wouldnt have gone over well at all.

My opine anyway.
That's a very good point, Native Americans were mostly portrayed negatively in Western genre games, so there was a certain amount of buzz about a Native American protagonist. Even the '95 version was meant to have a lot of focus on authentic heritage and spirituality. I don't know if it was actually aliens because "bashing us crackers wouldn't have gone over well", but I think more because weird gravity was meant to be a key feature and aliens were a great excuse for it.

Last edited by Discy; 08-09-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

The '95 version was also planned to have the "revolutionary portal technology", and the reason that version was cancelled because "the technology wasn't up to it yet". Also, it's still kind of a shame that the portal tech is now regarded to be invented by Portal, when it was actually this game.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Yeah, that's why I said the weird gravity was meant to be a key feature.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:48 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

http://www.shacknews.com/article/964...nd-coffee-cups

Hah.
I wont be playing this.
Although the coffee cup things was pretty cool, hehe.

YouTube Video: Prey 2 Teasr
Old 08-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
I wont be playing this.
What made you change your mind ? I was surprised you were interested in it in the first place since I know you said you didn't like System Shock(2).
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I haven't played the original but I heard a lot of good things about it. It seemed to kind of be a sleeper classic. The teaser trailer above looks good. I was worried that it was just going to be narrow hallway simulator #5,000,000 but then they show that you get to leave the ship and go out in space.

I thought the coffee cup part was pretty hilarious. As long as I can afford the game and I have time to play, there's only one criteria that must be met - no "season pass" or whatever BS they call it now. If I see a season pass on any game, especially before it's even released, I'm not touching the game with a 10 foot pole.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:21 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
What made you change your mind ? I was surprised you were interested in it in the first place since I know you said you didn't like System Shock(2).
The first video suited more to my style of games that I like.
The 2nd did not. At all. Even if they have the 1st video stuff in, it seems its going to be more like the 2nd video to me, which I wont like.

Also, no, I wasnt a big fan of system Shock 2, to say the least.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Systemshock 2 anyone?
Totally reminds me of it:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...r/#more-404611
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

The world looks awesome.
The rpg system shock type gameplay doesnt (to me):

YouTube Video: Prey

More info, credit, and another video probably already seen before:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...r/#more-416737
Old 12-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

That looked amazing and I liked everything that I saw in that video. I like the idea of using guns both as weapons and also to traverse the environment and to solve puzzles. The most shocking part is that they showed actual footage of the game. I thought that the new rule was that you're only allowed to show pre-rendered footage for 5 seconds and then spend 5 hours telling people to preorder and buy the season pass. The game looks pretty promising as it is so hopefully the final product is similar to what we see in this demo.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is online now Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

I hope you aren't alone through the whole game. I'm not a fan of that in a sci-fi atmosphere like that.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 12-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Being alone in space is great. I like the idea being stranded alone in the middle of nowhere, whether it be the sea, the sky, the desert, another planet, or something else. Isaac was mostly alone in Dead Space and I thought that it was great. The desolation and hopelessness adds to the atmosphere. SOMA and Penumbra mastered this.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

The game does look really interesting. I just wish it had a different name.

Last edited by Solais; 12-05-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

What's wrong with the name?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

It has nothing to do with the first Prey game from 2005 nor with the sequel that was in development for a few years. It was just a name that was lying around and they figured: "Yeah, why not?"

Old 12-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Oh I thought that these were still the same bunch of aliens and that you were just playing Sigourney Weaver in space instead of a Native American on a reseveration. I hadn't heard anything about another sequel that was in development so I didn't realize that this is totally unrelated to the first game. Oh well, it still might be cool.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

I preordered it just 1 day before it came out and I must say, it was worth it, I fell in love with this game, the freedom and creativity is just superb, there is always an alternative to your actions, you constantly feel watched
(especially when the Nightmare starts hunting you)
, you always need to watchout for your ammo.

What honestly is addicting tho is the recycling, I just love to scavenge the station for loot and start recycling that stuff to create raw materials to fabricate new ammo or neuromods.

Overall I am having a really good experience with this game.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Recycling stuff into little cubes is SO SATISFYING FOR SOME REASON I WISH I COULD DO THIS IRL.

But yeah, quite an interesting game. It indeed reminds me of Bioshock a lot, with some Dishonored thrown in.