Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default Dedicated server certificate problem

A couple of months ago I downloaded the SSHD dedicated server from Steam by using HldsUpdateTool (-game serioussamhdse) for some Co-op action, and it worked, and people joined and we had fun

I tried to start up that same server yesterday but it didn't work, so i updated with hldsupdatetool, tried again, looked at the logs, scratched head, googled, and this evening i've found a workaround but i believe i've found a problem that may need a fix...

samhd_tse_dedicatedserver.exe has a digital signature (right click the exe -> Properties -> digital signatures -> Details) issued to GHI Media LLC and that certificate is valid between 13th November 2009 and 13th November 2011. Since time has moved onwards that cert has now expired, and the machine no longer trusts the executable. The USERFirst certificate that the GHI cert is signed against is valid and expires in 2019.

When i started the server originally, i got this at the end of the log...

20:20:52 LOG: Started loading world "Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/03_Medieval/3_03_CorridorOfDeath.wld"
20:21:01 FTL: Cannot open file Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/03_Medieval/3_03_CorridorOfDeath.tex

What i did to get the server running was to move the date of the machine back to 24th October 2011. With the date now within the certificate's range, the server runs fine and the log gives...

20:54:00 LOG: Started loading world "Content/SeriousSamHD/Levels/03_Medieval/3_03_CorridorOfDeath.wld"
20:54:09 LOG: Finished loading world. (process memory: 812 MB)

The machine is a vintage Dell Poweredge 860 server that lives in a hosting facility (work is good to me) and runs Win2k8 Server R2 SP1. It is currently enjoying it's retirement from business use by running various SRCDS, Minecraft, Mumble and Battlefield servers without complaint, although not all at the same time. I'm confident that it's networking and firewall configuration is correct.

So while i'm ok moving the machine back in time as necessary, is this something that our friends at Croteam could take a look at solving, perhaps issue a new exe with a new cert?

Also i'd be intested in hearing of anyone else running a server, and what their certificate validity period is.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Dedicated server certificate problem

Yes! As part of the upcoming patch!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Oustanding. Many thanks!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar