Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Default Anyone else having enough of Egypt ?

SS1 FE is one of my favorite games, as the first Serious Sam. I don't know if i'm speaking for myself, but after all those Egypt levels, the level design became boring. SS1 SE is different, because it includes South Africa, Persia and that other place (Snow etc). Also the Next Encounter includes Ancient Rome, china and atlantis, what makes the game varied.
Now back to SS3, a good game in my opinion, with good enemies, weapons and graphics, but still Egypt again. The first level in the big egypt city was cool, but after that the Egypt ruins and landscapes came back, and the level design became boring again. I know that the game should be in Egypt, because it's a prequel of SS1, but i still think we have seen enough egypt, anyone else thinks the same?

Btw, the Sirian chambers were cool, made me think of the Atlantis levels from SS NextEncounter, those textures could be very useful for fanmade custom maps
Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  

Default Re: Anyone else having enough of Egypt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangsterGnaar View Post
The first level in the big egypt city was cool, but after that the Egypt ruins and landscapes came back
Egypt ruins and landscape = one of the most interesting settings in the world, IMO. But you're not alone. Actually, I think I'm alone. Most people are tired of Egypt, while I thoroughly enjoy it. Not saying I want them to stay in Egypt, but I hope they come up with a setting that's equally as interesting for the next game.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

If You are asking for an opinion,

To me, "Serious Sam" became a fancy way to say "Egypt". They are inseparable.
I could say, I had too little Egypt. That is also why I was happy that LotB was in Egypt. [LotB level design wasn't good, though - going through those maps felt like a chore].
Along with that, whenever Sam is not in Egypt, it feels like He's out of place.

EDIT: Viper, I think that means You are not alone.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinska View Post
To me, "Serious Sam" became a fancy way to say "Egypt". They are inseparable.
I agree 100%. I don't mind if a Sam game takes place outside of Egypt, but Egypt is at the very core of the franchise. It's one of Sam's defining features and sets it apart from pretty much any other shooter out there.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I still think Ancient Rome is a very good concept for a Serious Sam game, along with Egypt, don't understand me wrong it's a good theme for the SS games, i'm only saying it became boring.

I also remember a Serious Sam level with portals to places where Sam have been. He also visits Egypt for like five minutes.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  

I would absolutely love a SS game set in Rome.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

I would like to see a SS game in Feudal Japan. Bamboo, those almost-all-paper houses... =]
The level design would be a pain, though. Due to the fact most of the buildings would suppose to have a "kleer ran through it, now the house is no more" fragility. (Railroading the player would thus be a hard challenge.)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
I don't know if i'm speaking for myself
That must be very confusing.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinska View Post
I would like to see a SS game in Feudal Japan. Bamboo, those almost-all-paper houses... =]
The level design would be a pain, though. Due to the fact most of the buildings would suppose to have a "kleer ran through it, now the house is no more" fragility. (Railroading the player would thus be a hard challenge.)
Interesting, since I'm actually planning a Feudal Japan episode for SSHD. I'll need a shitload of help with that though. I'll need custom textures, custom models and props, and probably the most difficult: custom, non-copyrighted, original music. I already have some of the level designs in my head, railroading won't be a problem at all (only one map takes place in a city).

When the time comes to reveal this project fully, I'll try to ask this community as a whole for help and collaboration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
I would absolutely love a SS game set in Rome.
Next Encounter.

Though I'd love one in Ancient Greece. I've been to Greece 4 times in my life, it really has a lot of potential for a good SS episode.

Quote:
SS1 FE is one of my favorite games, as the first Serious Sam. I don't know if i'm speaking for myself, but after all those Egypt levels, the level design became boring. SS1 SE is different, because it includes South Africa, Persia and that other place (Snow etc). Also the Next Encounter includes Ancient Rome, china and atlantis, what makes the game varied.
Now back to SS3, a good game in my opinion, with good enemies, weapons and graphics, but still Egypt again. The first level in the big egypt city was cool, but after that the Egypt ruins and landscapes came back, and the level design became boring again. I know that the game should be in Egypt, because it's a prequel of SS1, but i still think we have seen enough egypt, anyone else thinks the same?
Yes, I really think that there's enough Egypt for a lifetime now. Saying this, while I'm actually working on two Egypt levels at the moment.
But there are reasons for why I'm doing that.

Quote:
Btw, the Sirian chambers were cool, made me think of the Atlantis levels from SS NextEncounter, those textures could be very useful for fanmade custom maps
They only look cool with the same lightning that was there in the ruins, and the lightning there just makes it impossible to have enemies down there and still having the game run better than 10 FPS. Though Finzy's Exception map does have some great usage of those textures and lightning.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 06-27-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

That's why I prefer SE over FE... Better setting and more interesting levels
JUST SKILL
Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I don't particularly hate Egypt, it's just that there's been way too much of it already.

EDIT: Also thank you Solais, didn't notice that comment. I'll agree, the Sirian decorations are great, and I wish the game used them more too. Actually lighting isn't any problem, even with plain point lights you could get some interesting results, and all Sirian surfaces are reflective and glossy by default so you only need one dynamic light + probes for them to look cool. Croteam could easily have made whole levels with just the Sirian architecture (if they had made a few more assets).

Last edited by Finzy; 06-27-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  

NO MORE EGYPT !!!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Agreed. Egypt had its (two) large romps in the series, now let other civilizations get their moment to shine during Sam's adventures through time.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I love Egypt. I love Dunes. I love Nubia.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

What about the other 28 levels?

Last edited by Fiendian; 06-27-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Forgot about LotB
Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper45
but Egypt is at the very core of the franchise.
What? No it isn't.
It was the location the first game was set in and one more game used it (as a prequel to the first game) and that's it.

2 games (SS:FE and SS3) out of 5 games (the rest being SS:SE, SS2 and SS:NE) doesn't really scream "Egypt is Serious Sam's signature feature" (or whatever you'd want to say)

You might say "Nostalgia is speaking for you"
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

^Legend of the Beast DLC also used it.
Egypt to Sam is like Tatooine to Star Wars. It'll always come back to the desert, even when there are plenty of other cool places, as well.

And considering it's the only environment/theme to span an entire game (not to mention two whole games) in the franchise thus far, I'd say it has earned some special significance. It's more than just nostalgia speaking.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
EDIT: Also thank you Solais, didn't notice that comment. I'll agree, the Sirian decorations are great, and I wish the game used them more too. Actually lighting isn't any problem, even with plain point lights you could get some interesting results, and all Sirian surfaces are reflective and glossy by default so you only need one dynamic light + probes for them to look cool. Croteam could easily have made whole levels with just the Sirian architecture (if they had made a few more assets).
Actually, both in SSHD and in SS3, CT have left us material files to set to models so they have the same textures as their models. I haven't looked it up, but maybe there's a material for the Sirian textures as well, so maybe you could put that on any kind of model. /offtopic

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

I have always liked Egypt as a setting for SS Games, I did get kind of tired of it in BFE though, that being siad i just beat lotb last night and i really enjoyed it...so im all over the map.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Croteam & Fans can do so much more with Serious Engine 3.5 than only create Egypt levels, let's hope SS Engine 3.5 is just the beginning of alot of very cool games/maps and mods which are not only set in Egypt
Old 06-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

The problem is that modeling is quite hard, and it is easier to make a good looking SS3-like map with official props, than creating new models, props and environment.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue View Post
What? No it isn't.
It was the location the first game was set in and one more game used it (as a prequel to the first game) and that's it.

2 games (SS:FE and SS3) out of 5 games (the rest being SS:SE, SS2 and SS:NE) doesn't really scream "Egypt is Serious Sam's signature feature" (or whatever you'd want to say)

You might say "Nostalgia is speaking for you"
Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Not only is Egypt the most common setting in Serious Sam games, much of the franchise's lore is based around Egyptian legends / myths, such as ancient aliens (Sirians) helping build the pyramids. Sirius is a real star that played a big role in Ancient Egypt's culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
^Legend of the Beast DLC also used it.
Egypt to Sam is like Tatooine to Star Wars. It'll always come back to the desert, even when there are plenty of other cool places, as well.

And considering it's the only environment/theme to span an entire game (not to mention two whole games) in the franchise thus far, I'd say it has earned some special significance. It's more than just nostalgia speaking.
+1
Old 06-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Not only is Egypt the most common setting in Serious Sam games, much of the franchise's lore is based around Egyptian legends / myths, such as ancient aliens (Sirians) helping build the pyramids. Sirius is a real star that played a big role in Ancient Egypt's culture.

+1
very interesting, i did not read into it all that much but that all makes sense.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Melih is offline Send a message via MSN to Melih

I love the fact that most sam games and their levels are based on existing places and I think croteam's not bad with making interesting looking levels that doesn't bore you even if you play in the same environment for 10 years (from FE to BFE). But it isn't has to be the egypt all the time.
They have successfully pulled out other environments, too. Such as SE. I don't think croteam's gonna disappoint us if they were to make a new game, dlc levels or such.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Quote:
Anyone else having enough of Egypt ?
Too much, in fact. I wish to see other places. I hope Croteam strays away from it for a good while.

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Well i don't agree.... Egypt is the heart of serious sam and i hope it STAYS there ! But it wouldn't hurt if they make a serious sam game in rome perhaps or ancient greece.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Well, Egypt is a great Setting, but its all told what could happen there. I mean if not why it comes at the End of FE to a Fight against Ugh Zan & not Mental?

About real settings if you read a little bit about history in whole East Mediterranean See ( you see a lot of History like (wikipedia.com) : Greece, Persia, Judäa, Egypt, Carthago, Rome, Arabian History of Islam etc. Otherwise read about Pyramids and in which Part of Earth they were builds and through which time periods.

About FE I got to say it seems to me a little bit boring to fight only through Egypt, SE & SS 2 are greater for me. To NE it was PS2 only so a remake make a lot of sense, i think SSams fanbase was more on PC (& even Xbox).

That don't meant i don't like Egypt.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 07-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Yeah, had enough of Egypt. not completly fed up with it though.

But Japan would barely work.
And I just hope they won't take sam to Upper Asia or Upper Europe, cuz that would be pretty boring.
Greece, Tropics and Middle America could be amazing.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeNeRiC_DeTeCteD View Post
Middle America could be amazing.
Not so sure about that.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

How about the south pole?