Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > The Talos Principle > The Talos Principle Workshop

The Talos Principle Workshop The official forum for The Talos Principle projects, be it maps, mods, or anything else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default Is it possible to make separate game (not mod)?

Hi there!

I'm looking for game engine for small and simple, but 3d HQ game.

So... I really like serious engine 4 - just because quality/performance ratio. Talos principle works and looks great under my ancient gt8800

The question is, can I separate my work from original game?

I know, a lot of mods can become full featured standalone game in source engine (like "stanley parable"), is it possible with serious engine?

Thank you
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Is it possible to make separate game (not mod)?

No, since you'd need the sourcecode and that's not available.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Croteam has only recently released the full engine source for one of their games for the public: Serious Engine 1 used for Serious Sam classic. And that is fifteen years after the game's release.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Croteam has only recently released the full engine source for one of their games for the public: Serious Engine 1 used for Serious Sam classic. And that is fifteen years after the game's release.
Well, the thing is... I don't actually need full source code of game - SDK and editor would be enough.

I also want to notice, that Serious Enigne 1 is useful only for education purpose.

It will be great if someday Croteam release separated engine for game developers (like other companies did).

Thx for answerd
Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent322 View Post
Well, the thing is... I don't actually need full source code of game - SDK and editor would be enough.
Ah, okay. From the thread title "separate game (not mod)" it sounded like you wanted to make something that could run without requiring the base game. Even with the SDK you still need the base game in your Steam library to run it, since you can only make mods with it.

Also, the way new engine works the SDK is becoming redundant, because you can do most basic to intermediate modding (new levels, model/sound replacement, new weapons/monsters/items/textures) within the editor itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent322 View Post
I also want to notice, that Serious Enigne 1 is useful only for education purpose.

It will be great if someday Croteam release separated engine for game developers (like other companies did).
It would be cool if Croteam released an educational version of their engine like Epic and Crytek are doing, but I don't think they're big enough to get a lot of support, sadly.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Ah, okay. From the thread title "separate game (not mod)" it sounded like you wanted to make something that could run without requiring the base game. Even with the SDK you still need the base game in your Steam library to run it, since you can only make mods with it.
Opps, I incorrectly expressed my thought. I suppose that SDK should contain at least

1) .h header file with all needed functions/procedures declarations
2) .dll/.so binary file with engine and functions/procedures body
3) Tools for creating content/data/etc (in our case - it's serious editor)

So, as you see, I need a little source code from SDK to compile my custom game, but it's not actually a source. It's some kind of "gateway" to access compiled library, and this access will be done by linker.
Quote:
Also, the way new engine works the SDK is becoming redundant, because you can do most basic to intermediate modding (new levels, model/sound replacement, new weapons/monsters/items/textures) within the editor itself.
sure it is! But only when you need mod, ant nothing more. If you will try to make a strategy or platformer you'll fail.

Quote:
educational version of their engine like Epic and Crytek are doing
Sadly, that engines are not for "education", lol. But for developing games.

Ok, it seems like there is nothing to do here anymore.

Cast or email me if something changes.