Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2002, 09:36 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

Default UT 2003 Demo by May 21st

http://ina-community.com/forums/show...hreadid=173641

Quote:
We're here. We're just very, very busy. We had a bunch of web guys up to DE today for a play-and-feedback session. Cliff Bleszinski, Steve Polge, Tim Sweeney, Jay Wilbur and myself attended from Epic. It went very well. The game is getting more and more solid every day and is coming together very well. We played through about 10 maps this time. Next stop is E3 where I think we'll have a very solid game and hopefully we will have either done it already or at least be pretty close to releasing the demo version (or test version if you like) by then."

-Mark Rein
EpicGames Inc.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:56 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 05-05-2002, 10:00 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Jedi Outcast is offline Send a message via AIM to Jedi Outcast Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Outcast

now thats some cool news... i hope to somehow manage a copy... hopefully its a free demo... yea right...

My Maps:
{Multiplayer}
Lunar Eclipse (FE)
Lunar Chaos (SE)
Old 05-05-2002, 10:05 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Sledge is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sledge

Sah-weet!

I've heard two things about UT2k3: the assault gametype is gone and there is going to be a new gametype similar to Fragball
Old 05-05-2002, 10:11 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

strossos is offline Send a message via AIM to strossos

no one ever played assult...and the designers felt it wasnt all that sport like, more like military based...

here is a cool thing they are doing with the plasma rifle.

if u fire the secondary fire at ur teammate it "powers"
him up and when he fires the secondary plasma he does 3x damage and if he fires that at a teamate the teamate fires a red beam witch is like a insta kill... i think its cool

and the enforcer has been replaced with a assult rifle (thank god) and the piston has a sheild mode.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally posted by strossos
no one ever played assult...and the designers felt it wasnt all that sport like, more like military based...

you may never play assault, but a lot of people do. It is a sad thing to lose And that same sad excuse that epic used "wasnt all that sport like, more like military based...", big deal. Every mode in there is military based, hence the use of weapons like machine guns and rocket launchers

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

It is better to die than to lose one's freedom - Leonardo di Vinci
Old 05-06-2002, 09:16 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Mr. Magnetichead is offline Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Magnetichead Send a message via AIM to Mr. Magnetichead Send a message via MSN to Mr. Magnetichead

Hehe im at that forum too.

We all left after we got sig pics taken away.

I think i have like 4k posts there.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:49 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Jedi Outcast is offline Send a message via AIM to Jedi Outcast Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Outcast

I play assault to this day... but the maps get old, fast. Gotta love being launched by others in the frigate map.

My Maps:
{Multiplayer}
Lunar Eclipse (FE)
Lunar Chaos (SE)
Old 05-06-2002, 12:03 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

im kinda sad i missed out on the whole UT thing, never bought the game. So im hoping the next one will run decent on my comp

Old 05-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by LactosetheIntolerant
im kinda sad i missed out on the whole UT thing, never bought the game. So im hoping the next one will run decent on my comp
MX...AGH..MX...why'd you have to get an MX...lol. By June prices on GeForce 3's will be low enough that you could upgrade and scrap that piece of trash. Atleast you don't have a Voodoo though..
Old 05-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
aka Cable Muskrat

W00t!
/me wants to play the demo!
Old 05-06-2002, 02:14 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

rod man you have no idea...
my dad is a computer kinda guy, this was his card before(i had TNT2) he upgraded to a gforce2 Ti200 and i got his mx card. im hoping to get a job this summer and upgrade to a gforce 3 Ti card and if im lucky maybe a 4 Ti(big maybe)
so yeah the card wasnt my choice but at least its better then a TNT2 eh?

Old 05-06-2002, 03:45 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

caddie...i made 65 in 6 hours and got a sunburn as bonus !!

oh yea

the game was running at like 100 fps with a g3 and a 1.4 gig proc with bout 256 ram.

so ull be sure it will run on some older machines...but still take advatage of the new stuff nvidea throws out...

so u can crank up the details and have it look awsome awsome awsome awsome

or for viper he can run it a 640x800 with uber extra bottom of the pit low details and stuff like that....the game has good graphics... it wont work on something 6 years old im guessin give it a break!!
Old 05-06-2002, 04:14 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Blah... No new games run on my comp. Ayez0r. Oh, my GF2MX was free. Kinda. Cheap anyway.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:34 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

depending on the other stuff it would run fine on ur comp! lol

of cource not with nice graphics...
Old 05-06-2002, 07:00 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally posted by TaZeR
Blah... No new games run on my comp. Ayez0r. Oh, my GF2MX was free. Kinda. Cheap anyway.

yeah...well.....I bet mine is slower

I would love to have it....but I would rather shoot this friggan computer with a grenade launcher.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
posts frequently.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sledge
Sah-weet!

I've heard two things about UT2k3: the assault gametype is gone and there is going to be a new gametype similar to Fragball
Good. MEA's always making me try Assault...I HATE Assault...

Very good news, I can't wait for UT2003
"1935 will go down in History! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead to the future!" - Adolf Hitler
Old 05-06-2002, 08:38 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Oswald is offline Send a message via ICQ to Oswald Send a message via AIM to Oswald

Quote:
Originally posted by Margolis

you may never play assault, but a lot of people do. It is a sad thing to lose And that same sad excuse that epic used "wasnt all that sport like, more like military based...", big deal. Every mode in there is military based, hence the use of weapons like machine guns and rocket launchers
Same man... I love Assault.... oh man I enjoy Assault.

Shameless self-promotion - click here to see my portfolio.
Shamelessly ripping films apart with the Popcorn Nazis.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:49 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

assult was fun, i agree...but there was like 20 servers for it...compared to the 1 million or so for other games lol
Old 05-06-2002, 09:46 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Sledge is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sledge

Quote:
Originally posted by strossos
assult was fun, i agree...but there was like 20 servers for it...compared to the 1 million or so for other games lol
That just means that there's only 20 enlightened people running servers out there

Assault is great. Throw in Eavy's mods and Assault is perfect
Old 05-07-2002, 02:06 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
aka Cable Muskrat

Assault 0wns. That's all.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:11 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
I hate Yogurt!

Evangelion2 is offline Send a message via ICQ to Evangelion2

Assault is awesome but I like CTF or Deathmatch alittle more cause there is more action.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:10 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

depends on the map also
Old 05-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

an update

When Epic Games and Digital Extremes first announced their plans for their multiplayer oriented game Unreal Tournament way back in 1998, the reaction among gamers at first was mixed. The original Unreal game was a graphical marvel but its Internet multiplayer code was broken upon release and it took the developer months to release a patch that got working up to speed. The announcement of UT also came after id Software had just announced their own multiplayer oriented game Quake III Arena and many assumed Epic and DE was simply following in idís coattails.
That impression changed in 1999 when Unreal Tournament was finally released. Both gamers and game critics alike embraced the graphics, the gameplay, the handling of the many multiplayer modes and the net code in UT, resulting in a best selling game and numerous Game of the Year awards.

Many assumed that the next Unreal product would be Unreal 2, the direct sequel to Unreal that has been long in development at Legend Entertainment, but Epic and DE surprised everyone earlier this year when they announced Unreal Tournament 2003. More of a remake than a sequel to UT, the game (originally known as Unreal Tournament 2) is being developed mostly by Digital Extremes this time out with Epic participating in more of a supervisory role in this incarnation. A further shock came later this year when it was announced that UT 2003 would be hitting stores this summer with Unreal 2 being released later this year and without a multiplayer mode.

Digital Extremes and Epic hit the role in Europe a few weeks ago to show off a build of the upcoming game to the European gaming press. Last weekend, however, the developers and the gameís publisher Infogrames got the press to come to them. HomeLAN was one of a select few journalists to be invited to Digital Extemesís offices in London, Ontario, Canada (complete with an outside lake that has ducks and muskrats as residents) to check out a new build of UT 2003 and play the game along with the developers. In addition to James Schmalz, Pancho Eekels and many other members of Digital Extremes, several members of Epic Games showed up for the event, including programmers Tim Sweeney and Steven Polge, game designer Cliff Bleszinski and biz guys Mark Rein and Jay Wilbur. During the event we all played a lot of UT 2003 and gave our thoughts to the developers on what we liked and what we didnít like about the title at this point. Overall there is a lot to like about the game already and Epic and DE seemed to be determined to polish UT 2003 until they are happy with it before it is released.

Before we start our look at the game, a brief note on screenshots. Epic is being very protective on this matter, most likely because of a couple of European web sites that offered a ton of gameplay videos from the recent UT 2003 press tour. While screenshots of UT 2003 were taken during last weekend's press event by Epic of myself and the other press folks playing the game, they apparently didn't feel that the images were up to their standards for public view. Therefore this preview, while very hands-on, won't have any screenshots taken from our experiences with the game. We hope to have some new screenshots from UT 2003 that were taken using the same build but not during our press event soon.

The Gameplay

Unreal Tournament 2003 is basically a remake of sorts to the original Unreal Tournament using Epicís next generation Unreal engine. The new version of the engine completely does away with UT's software support and now requires a hardware accelerated video card. As we played the game at DE's offices, we felt that the actual player speed seemed to be just a bit faster in UT 2003 compared to the original UT. The gameplay itself remains essentially unchanged from UT with Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture The Flag modes all included in the game. For UT 2003, Epic and DE altered the gameplay mode of UTís Domination somewhat. Instead of simply running around all of the control points, the team now has to hold all of them for 10 seconds after they are all captured in order to win a team point. This makes Domination much more of a strategic game than simply a game based mostly on speed. One of the Domination maps was a bit too large to really enjoy this mode more (we were limited to eight players at a time for the press event) but DE will like tweak the map and the mode before its release.

An all new gameplay mode created for UT 2003 is called Bombing Run, which is more of a pro sports type of mode. Two teams try to capture a ball with the ball running team firing the ball in the enemy teamís Stargate-like ring in their base. Of course the enemy team tries to stop them from doing this as well as going after the ball handler and trying to get the ball for themselves. If a player has the ball he or she cannot fire any of their weapons except, of course, for the ball itself, and the player can pass the ball to teammates as well. The result is a game that combines the typical first person shooter gameplay with fast action Rollerball style rules. Epic and DE indicated at the event that the mode might be tweaked further, including adding more than one ball at a time into the game.

Unfortunately, one very popular gameplay mode from the original UT that wonít be shipped in UT 2003 is Assault. According to the folks at DE, the mode simply didnít fit in with the biggest emphasis on sports that the current game has. However, Epicís Steven Pogue stated at the event that it will be very possible for mod authors to add support for the Assault mode into UT 2003 and even offered to help any mod authors who want to put the mod back into UT 2003

The Weapons

Most of the weapons found in Unreal Tournament have found their way back into UT 2003. Of course, the weapons models have all been upgraded and most of them have been tweaked somewhat for gameplay. For instance, the rocket launcher can now only fire up to three rockets at a time in UT 2003. Another weapon, the translocator, will have a blue streak coming out the back as you fire it in order to better see where the transporter is going and will also have a camera where you can see what the translocator sees (a nifty feature for scoping out the map and enemy players). One weapon that did not make it into UT 2003 is the Ripper. Although I personally enjoyed the weapon, the developers at the event stated that the Ripper wasnít used a lot by other players and decided to eliminate it.

One of the few new weapons added into UT 2003 is the lightening gun which as its named indicates fires a bolt of lightening at its target with a sniper mode as its secondary fire. During the press event, many of the journalists felt that while the effects for the lightening gun looked great they were not enthusiastic about its accuracy in its primary mode. Another new weapon is the Shield Gun which will give a certain amount of protection with an energy shield protecting the front of the player. However, a number of the people at the press event did not care much for the color (a dark green) for the shield. The folks at DE said they will be tweaking the weapons before itís released.

The Link Gun in UT 2003 is in fact a new version of the Pulse Gun from UT. In its regular mode it fires balls of energy in its primary mode and a stream of green energy in secondary mode. However, as its name implies, the Link Gun can actually be linked up with other players using the same weapons to increase its potency.

The Redeemer will returning to UT 2003 but DE is thinking of making the weapon more like a cruise missile in the levels, flying just above the ground and going around corners. An all new super weapons will be the Ion Cannon. Similar to a weapon in Command and Conquer: Renegade, the weapon will fire a beam of energy at a set point from the air down to the ground.

The Levels

The build of UT 2003 that the European press got to check out a few weeks ago had only a few levels ready to be seen but at the press event last weekend, we got to play about a third of the levels that will be in the full game. Digital Extremes and Epic stated that there will be a minimal of 30 maps included in the full game and even more might be added. The levels we got to play were about the same in terms of size as those in the original UT but of course the next generation Unreal engine and excellent texture artwork in UT 2003 make the original pale in comparison. A CTF map called Citadel, for example, has two fantasy castles with huge spikes coming out of the structure as well as out of the ground as well, making it have a very deadly look. A large Domination map called Sun God resembled an Aztec or Mayan shrine.

A CTF map took place entirely underground but also contains a beautiful underground river and waterfall. The Bombing Run map we got to play took place in an artic enviroment (one of my personal favorite types of levels). The most spectacular looking map was the DM map Inferno which as its name implies is Digital Extremesí Dante inspired Hell map. It looks like something from id Softwareís Quake III Arena but bumped up to the nth degree with some excellent lava and flame effects and some frightening looking designs.

You can expect some remakes of some classic Unreal and UT multiplayer maps in UT 2003 although the developers indicated that the look of the remakes will vary considerably from the originals. They also indicated that the original UT 2003 maps that we havenít seen or played yet will not disappoint us or other players.

Single Player

If you are like many other players who donít have the best Internet connection, UT 2003 will continue its predecessorís way with excellent AI bots in quick action mode in any of the maps in the game. AI programmer Steve Polge said they were doing all they can to improve on the bot code that was already very well handled in the original UT. Polge said they want a bot not to just follow the exact same path in UT 2003 over and over again. In addition to Instant Action there will also be a single player campaign as well. Players will be able to recruit up to eight AI teammates, each with their own strengths and weaknesses as they progress through the levels. As you go through the single player campaign you can dump players off your team and recruit ďfree agentsĒ, AI teammates with better abilities and skills. The character artwork for the AI teammates (as well as your choices for player models, by the way) have had a huge increase in polygon counts from UT, and you can select from a huge amount of player models, from humans to aliens to robots. Commanding the AI bots should also be an easier task in UT 2003 than in the original game as DE is reworking the code so that the mouse will not be needed for the commands.

Mod support

Just like Unreal and UT, UT 2003 will ship with the newest level editor for the Unreal engine and Epicís Tim Sweeney indicated that there will a lot more documentation available for the game for mod authors to use. In addition, Mark Rein indicated that they plan to publish a book that will give newbies (like myself) a way to learn about UT 2003 level design and mod authoring. Indeed, Rein indicated that a book like the one they are thinking about could become a popular one for use in schools and colleges that might wish to teach game design. A lot of included prefabs in the UT 2003 level editor will give people easy ways to make new levels as well and there is a possiblity that the level editor might be released to some mod teams to give them a heads up on learning the mod tools before the full version of the game is released.

Other Aspects of UT 2003

DE and Epic will once again create and use an in-game server browser for UT 2003, rather than use an outside developer like Gamespy. Also, a new stats system will be developed for the game thanks to UTís original stats developer, ngStats, being bought a couple of years ago by Microsoft. Epic also plans to include an auto-updater in UT 2003 for easy patch downloads when needed and Mark Rein indicated that they donít plan to break network compatibility with every single patch. Steve Polge also said they are still working on demo recording for UT 2003 and they hope to allow the player to use demos made with earlier versions of UT 2003 to be played with later versions as well.

Epic has put in the Karma physics engine in UT 2003 and at the press event we got a chance to check out the effects first hand. The most public aspect of the engine is the ďrag dollĒ effect for character animations. Instead of a dead body falling into a wall, they will realistically bump into a wall and other items. Other aspects of the character animation are still being worked on such as blood and even fire coming out of wounded but still alive and kicking players.

Some power ups like Double Damage and extra shields will be a part of the full version when it is released. Another all new power up is adrenaline capsules, which when collected can increase your speed if you do a triple click on your forward movement button. Of course, mutators will be a part of UT 2003 just like in the original game and yes there will be an Instaglib mutator included when the game is released.

The folks at DE took a lot of notes based on the feedback they received from us after playing the game but of course the best way to get the most feedback is to release a demo and like UT, Epic and DE will release a multiplayer demo of UT 2003 very soon, most likely just after E3. They hope to include at least a couple of maps from the full game in the demo and some of the multiplayer modes.

Infogrames has yet to really get the engine started on marketing UT 2003 (the gameís official web site has not yet been launched as of this writing) but the Infogrames and DE public relations folks at the event assured the press folks that the game will be extensively marketed from E3 until the release of the game. By the way, Infogrames will release UT 2003 under its Atari label.

And when will the full version of UT 2003 be released? While Mark Rein indicated that the goal is to release the game by the end of the June, the true release date has always been ďwhen itís doneĒ and Rein said that if it takes a little longer to polish the game and make it bug free they will take the extra time to do so.

One big question that a number of the press people had at the event was about the Unreal Performance Test and whether or not the advanced benchmarking program for PCs will ever be released to the public Rein stated that the UPT will continue to be exclusive to hardware manufacturers like NVIDIA and ATI as well as a few hardware related web sites to test out and evaluate future drivers and hardware products with an advanced UT engine. (Since the release of the UTP to those vendors, Mark Rein said that driver and other support from hardware developers have already improved tremendously.) However, a scaled down version of the UPT will be included in the demo of UT 2003 that will give PC owners a chance to check out frame rates in their computer to see if the game will work with the full version when released.

Epic and DE personnel indicated at the press event that they want UT 2003 to be considered as a real pro gaming product and they stated they are already in talks with organizations like the World Cybergames and the CPL to incorporate UT 2003 in their tournaments. In addition they are also talking with the newly formed G4 gaming cable network to spotlight pro gaming using UT 2003.

Conclusion

The version of Unreal Tournament 2003 we got to play already looks spectacular and is very stable and playable, but itís clear that the game still needs a lot of polishing and tweaking, in looks as well as in its gameplay, and both DE and Epic recognized that and took our suggestions seriously, ranging from changing the color of the smoke coming from the alternate fire of the flack cannon to the way the shield gun looks to the spawn point of weapons in the levels. The release of the UT 2003 demo will of course give the developers even more feedback from literally tens of thousands of players. We are very encouraged by all of this and itís clear that while UT 2003 was just announced a few months ago, this is by no means a rushed product to cash in on the Unreal name. When the game hits stores this summer we will see if Epic and Digital Extremes will fulfill the promise that this game already has in abundance.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:00 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
posts frequently.

Quote:
Originally posted by LactosetheIntolerant
never bought the game
I didn't either...
"1935 will go down in History! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead to the future!" - Adolf Hitler
Old 05-09-2002, 02:11 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy

I bought it last summer but I havn't been playing it much. I had a chance to play a friend's copy when it came out, and also a little over a year ago. I probably played more then than I have since.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:19 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

I heard the UT2003 engine, is basically a modified UT engine. The original UT engine was so advanced compared to the quake engines, that they need not to build an entirely new engine from scratch.

Oh and I might have read it wrong, but there will be football? in the game. I read in one of the posts above that it was called fragball, but I could have sworn that UT2k3 would have football in it..

Anyway... I'm not planning on getting that game.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:29 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

they arent useing the ut engine per se...but instead using the coding proccess of the engine.

(rod help me out here?)

so they are basicly using the plans of the ut engine...and i saw a video were this guy got shot and killed and fell backwards and started rolling down the steps...and it looked totaly real!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

Unreal I was the first incarnation of the Unreal engine. UT used the same engine, but heavily modified. Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal 2, will be using a heavily modified Unreal engine. To simplify things, you could say that they're using a modified UT engine, because they're building on the UT core, but it's still the Unreal engine.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:33 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

so was i right?