Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2001, 10:32 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Post Ion Storm sucks

So, I'm at Future Shop, and I see the game Deus Ex. I'm thinking that I wanna get the game because I played the demo and loved it, but it's got a pricetag of 40 bucks (Canadian) and I don't have that on me, so I move on...

Later, I see Deus Ex again, except instead of in the big fancy box, it's just the jewel case. And it's only 15 bucks! So, I'm like "wow, all that extra money just for a fancy package? Maybe it's like a 'game of the year edition' type thing but all I want is Deus Ex by itself so I'll get this one."

I look at the jewel case and I read every word, to make sure that it's not just the demo. And the only hint towards it is where it says "Special Limited Edition". If only I had know that by "limited" they meant the CONTENT of the damn game is limited! And by "special" they meant "retarded"! It was the fucking DEMO! I just blew 15 bucks on something I could have downloaded for free on the net!

FUCK ION STORM! That was blatant false advertising meant to trick people into believing it was the full game! FUCK!

FUUUCK!
Old 05-27-2001, 11:50 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

I doubt that was ion storm...it was probably some guy who burned the demo onto a disc and sold it for $15.  Sorry ya got ripped off....
Old 05-28-2001, 02:04 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
or mr man..whatever

Distro Stu is offline Send a message via ICQ to Distro Stu
not only that, its also highy, highly illegal. if you contact ion storm and tell them the name of the place that sold you that 'limited edition', i think they'd be very happy to hear from you...there might even be a copy of deus ex and a lock of john romero's hair in it for you.
Old 05-28-2001, 03:27 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

The thing is, this wasn't some shady hole-in-the-wall operation. This was Future Shop! And I'm not the only one who got ripped off here, after doing a search on the web for "Deus Ex Special Limited Edition" and finding other reports from frustrated gamers.

Hehe, I guess Serious Sam spoiled me by making me believe that a complete quality product could be available for only 15 bucks.

Anyway, to be entirely accurate, it was a tiny bit bigger than the downloadable demo; it comes with an introductory cutscene, but that's it. And it's a shitty cutscene too, although the fact that it's there is evidence that the developers themselves are responsible for this.

(Edited by XMark at 8:40 am on May 28, 2001)
Old 05-28-2001, 03:42 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Hmmm... maybe it's not Ion Storm. Activision and Eidos are the companies that are in charge of the distribution.
Old 05-28-2001, 03:45 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE is offline Send a message via AIM to DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE
"The thing is, this wasn't some shady hole-in-the-wall operation. This was Future Shop!"

oh, i am so sorry you have not learned the lesson concerning rip off shop.

anyway, when rip off shop was here in the US they would rip you off anyway they could. sell a pentium 75 to an old lady an tell her it was top of the line, or sell demos.
never trust them, we all learned this down here and they went out of buisness becuase of it.

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 05-28-2001, 04:11 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Okay, one more interesting fact about the purchase. When I picked it up I noticed that the shrink wrap was on kind of loose and there was a slight crack in the case. I guess some other poor sucker bought it before and returned it after realizing it was just the demo. And maybe someone before that even! I'm going there tomorrow to return it. Good thing I kept that receipt...
Old 05-28-2001, 04:49 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

MrSsscr3am is offline Send a message via ICQ to MrSsscr3am
u should return it, or plant a bomb in the store owners garden.

Deus Ex is truly an amazing game, its worth the $40, but if you want it cheeper go to shopsmart.com and buy it online.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:47 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

milbertus is offline Send a message via ICQ to milbertus Send a message via AIM to milbertus
I would highly recommend Deus Ex, it's a very good game.  You might also try buying it at Compuexpert, generally they have very good prices on everything they sell (although SS is still $20 there, but you can't really get much lower than that for a quality game).
Old 05-28-2001, 12:50 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

I also recommend playing the full version of Deus Ex. It was one of the most fun games I have played. Different things can happen in that game depending on your course of action. Not to mention the 3 possible endings, (which I had to check out all 3). Anyway, you cant really get the Deus Ex experience from a demo or cut down version. I would take the game back, tell them it was bad if not close to false advertising, and go buy the full version. It really was worth the money to me as it was a long game and takes a while to play. (If you dont use cheats or play on easy). I liked the graphics and game play in Star Trek: Elite Force too (which was about the same price), but it was way too friggin short to be worth the money. Serious Sam blew it away in entertainment value for the buck. I normally only get an hour sometimes 2 in the evening to play games (work too much) and I was done with Elite Force in a week. So was done in a few hours actually. Sorry this is long, but Deus was great fun.

"Get out of here Stalker!... Get out of here Stalker!"
Old 05-28-2001, 06:22 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
don't send help...

never liked Deus Ex - bored me to tears - SS is more my cup of moonshine, BUT - *go back to that shop and raise merry hell. on a busy saturday. act like a two year old in full-on tantrum mode, but keep it coherent and most of all LOUD, and the management will give you your dollars back and a copy of the full game, and hopefully an IOU too.

we all earn a living and pirates/parasites should be SHAMED!

once again, LOUDLY! good luck dude.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:43 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I think you should sell it on ebay for 20 dollars. "Special Limited Edition"
Old 05-30-2001, 03:55 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

milbertus is offline Send a message via ICQ to milbertus Send a message via AIM to milbertus
That would make him no better that the store where he bought it from. *Just because he got cheated, doesn't mean that he should cheat other people.

(Edited by milbertus at 3:56 pm on May 30, 2001)
Old 05-31-2001, 07:27 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
" I think you should sell it on ebay for 20 dollars. "Special Limited Edition" "
lol @ Lowly Creaton
just for a laugh i checked ebay and somebody is selling the "Special Limited Edition" Deus ex
but they tell you it's " A LIMITED EDITION, NOT FULL GAME ,BUT HAS HOURS OF GAME PLAY... MUCH MORE THAN DEMO "

haha
Old 05-31-2001, 11:56 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Well, it looks like Eidos is as fed up with Ion Storm as some of you guys are, and are going to close down the Ion Storm Austin office in the near future, hopefully after Anacronox has been completed.  The Dallas office will remain open, to continue work on Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:53 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Hey, milbertous,  it was a joke.  Not serious.  Christ, it is the off topic forum!
Old 05-31-2001, 09:26 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Sorry - I didn't mean to come off that hard, I guess it just kinda happened that way.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:19 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Umm they are making Anachronox in Dallas. Warren Spectre and the Deus Ex Team(read refugess from Looking Glass) are the guys in Austin.

Emery
Old 06-03-2001, 10:43 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Quote: from XMark on 3:32 am on May 28, 2001
So, I'm at Future Shop, and I see the game Deus Ex. I'm thinking that I wanna get the game because I played the demo and loved it, but it's got a pricetag of 40 bucks (Canadian) and I don't have that on me, so I move on...

Later, I see Deus Ex again, except instead of in the big fancy box, it's just the jewel case. And it's only 15 bucks! So, I'm like "wow, all that extra money just for a fancy package? Maybe it's like a 'game of the year edition' type thing but all I want is Deus Ex by itself so I'll get this one."

I look at the jewel case and I read every word, to make sure that it's not just the demo. And the only hint towards it is where it says "Special Limited Edition". If only I had know that by "limited" they meant the CONTENT of the damn game is limited! And by "special" they meant "retarded"! It was the fucking DEMO! I just blew 15 bucks on something I could have downloaded for free on the net!

FUCK ION STORM! That was blatant false advertising meant to trick people into believing it was the full game! FUCK!

FUUUCK!
lol that must of sucked. i would be pissed if that happened to me :angry: