Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #271   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default Re: Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass revealed

I'm very worried. This looks bad. I expected classic Serious Sam, and instead they give us oversized levels clearly designed for vehicle gameplay (meaning on foot gameplay won't be viable unless you enjoy running for hours through empty levels).

Who even asked for 100,000 enemies on screen at once? Why? Did anyone survive the Kleer horde in SS3 or TFE and think "you know, that was hard as hell but I wish there were 100,000 of them instead of only 600"? Bigger isn't always better! That counts for level size and enemy count. They learned nothing from SS2.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #272   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

Change, my friend. We need CHANGE
Old 06-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #273   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Kotaku article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
The developers at Croteam, the studio that makes the Serious Sam games, are looking to do the unthinkable with the fourth numbered installment in the series: render 100,000 enemies on screen at the same time. Watching a hands-off demo of the game behind closed doors at E3, I was excited to see that feat in action, and for a second it looked like I might. While the titular Sam was driving around in a combine harvester, Gnaars and Kamikazes began flooding over a hill in the distance. First it was just a few dozen, but moments later it had become a horde too numerous to count. Then the screen faded to black.

“We don’t want to have a cutscene and show you the battle, we want to do a single scene where you’ll be right in the middle of all that,” Ante Vrdelja, Croteam’s chief marketing officer, told Kotaku during the demo. “So far we’re getting there.” So no 100,000 unit brawls yet. The gameplay I saw was pre-alpha, and despite a devoted fan base who have been waiting for the next new Serious Sam game since 2011’s mostly well received Serious Sam 3: BFE, it’s been slow going. Released the same year as Duke Nukem Forever, BFE was seen by some as the right way to revive late 90s first-person shooter camp. Seven years later, Vrdelja admits Serious Sam fans are getting impatient see what the series will do next.

Most of the demo I saw was comprised of Sam driving a motorcycle down country roads shotgunning a mutant or two and stopping at the occasional cottage or stone tower to investigate the world and gain intel related to his mission, one I never came to fully understand. The world is incredibly open and almost sickeningly bright, with lush, leafy trees and deep azure skies overhead.

The map I saw a small sliver of is apparently close to 80 kilometers by 80 kilometers and procedurally generated outside of the major plot beats and action set pieces. In order to piece together this massive space, level designer Nika Dvoravic said she and the team have been making extensive use of photogrammetry to take detailed pictures of real world objects and then recreate them in-game with relative ease. Without techniques like this, it’s unlikely the just over 40 person team at the studio, not all of whom are working on Serious Sam 4, would be able to deliver on the game’s proposed scale.

The tech for rendering the population of a small city all on screen at once remains more nebulous. The large battles from the Lord of the Rings movies are one of the inspirations behind these ambitious enemy encounters, cinematic moments which remain visual benchmark in blockbuster film over a decade later. Duke Nukem with shootouts on the scale of Helm’s Deep is something even non-Serious Sam fans can get excited about.

100,000 is also a nice round number. It’s something that looks nice on the back of a box and an inspiring goal to strive for, but even if Croteam is able to deliver in the next game, it won’t be something everyone gets to experience. “This is running on a high-end PC and if you have one at home obviously you’ll get all of those units at the same time, looking great and with lots of effects,” said Vrdelja. “But we also need to scale for low-end and entry-level PCs.” Croteam isn’t yet sure what the required specs will be to get the full intended Serious Sam 4 effect, but 100,000 animated aliens running over a hill will likely only be reserved for those with the most up-to-date rigs when the game eventually comes out.
In the comments section, I found a pretty astute observation regarding the touted 100,000 enemies on screen. Makes me wonder if it's really worth the effort:

Quote:
With Full HD you’d have a little bit over 2 million pixels, which means each enemy could occupy ~20 pixels, with 4k you get 4 times that number. And don’t forget that the 100 closest enemies will probably occupy significantly more than just 20 - 80 puny pixels, leaving even less pixels for the remaining 99 900 enemies.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #274   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Who even asked for 100,000 enemies on screen at once? Why? Did anyone survive the Kleer horde in SS3 or TFE and think "you know, that was hard as hell but I wish there were 100,000 of them instead of only 600"? Bigger isn't always better! That counts for level size and enemy count. They learned nothing from SS2.
you wanna know the secret
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #275   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I don't think Croteam should bother releasing this game for current gen consoles. I don't even see how 100,000 enemies on screen at once would be possible with the Xbone's and PS4's shitty Jaguar CPUs. And since the game looks like it's still early in development I would be surprised if the game was released before 2020 which is when the next Xbox and PS5 are supposed to be released.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #276   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

What I want to know is why it's still considered "early in development" despite being in development since 2013 and then restarted development in 2016 after Talos was done.
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM   #277   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Guys, forget the classics, this is clear since SS3. The classics from 2001/2002 are fragments from the past, nothing more. The future of SS franchise (from our present point of view) is going to be built on the SS3 basis in terms of story events, storytelling, basic gameplay mechanics, and even branding (using SS3 tracks as main theme for the upcoming games (like wild life, hero and etc) in order to achieve more consistent branding, also they scrapped the Boink LET font for the game title and etc, and now they rely on new font, new overall look and so on, and so on), and expanding these fundamentals - bigger levels, bigger enemy waves, more weapons.

When they say "SS4 to SS3 is going to be what was SE to FE" (I'm quoting by memory) they didn't say "Oh, yes, we are going to make Second Encounter 2". Nope. It was clear - SS3-style sequel, but bigger, with several locations.

Back in 2009/2010 I saw the role of the HD remakes mostly as a test-ground for the engine development, and also gaining a proffits in a easy way for further development. They also needed a good SS game to turn the attention back on the franchise. And now these games, under the Fusion roof, are going to be changed, maybe in terms to fit with the rest of the franchise - SS3, SS:TLH and the upcoming SS4.

Last edited by Serious Sam(BG); Yesterday at 01:58 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #278   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

yeah i agree, we need novelty

the ss franchise has so much mod support that you can play countless custom levels if you want the classic experience

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #279   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

A compilation of what we know so far.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/se...27126641336383

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #280   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
What I want to know is why it's still considered "early in development" despite being in development since 2013 and then restarted development in 2016 after Talos was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kef View Post
They have been working on The Talos Principle, Road to Gehenna, The Last Hope, VR ports, console ports, so yeah...
Also, it is very safe to assume that the goal of 100,000 enemies on screen at once has been taking up an extraordinary amount of time and effort on Croteam's part.

At this point in time I am feeling very optimistic about this game. It seems like it is going to be a true Serious Sam game but on a completely different level than previous entries, a natural evolution for the series. Having 100,000 enemies on screen at once is a massive change for the series but it retains the spirit of the SS franchise, something 2 failed to do. And I also have the feeling that if the absurd technological goal of 100,000 enemies on screen at once is achieved this might give SS4 more mainstream exposure than past entries. Hell, Destructoid and Kotaku have already written articles for this game because of it's absurd quantity of stupid things.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #281   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
A compilation of what we know so far.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/se...27126641336383
(Release Date)
"and has a long way to go." correction... a looooooooooooooong way

(Platforms)
"PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and the PC (naturally)..." sounds like non-canon, huh?

(Setting)
"France, Russia, Modern Rome... a prequel to Serious Sam 3..." Once upon a time in 3000 B.C., there's buildings with elevators, gasoline, even gun powder, ...

(Levels)
"15 levels, across 3 locales, about 80 by 80 square miles, truly massive, not an open-world, variety of driveable vehicles, side quests, Lots of secrets, Mental's horde will be there." I can trust CT to do the designing, including making it HD (as in Serious Engine and/or High Definition).

(Vehicles)
"Apparently, you will also be able to shoot your regular weapons while driving these vehicles." Interesting!

(Enemies)
As usual.

(A.I.)
"supporting AI" Interesting... wait a minute, did you say "Talos"? Forgive me, but I would be shooting those Talos with it! And concerning the Fans, stay on the colosseum please.

(Weapons)
As usual.

(Engine)
"Serious Sam 4 will be running on a greatly updated version of Croteam's Serious Engine." The Directional Gravity IS IN there !!!!!
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #282   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Nope. It isn't. Forget it.
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #283   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

Well, there were no water in Serious Sam 3 (I mean water for gameplay value), so at least I hope for some watery sections in SS4
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #284   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

There is no water for such a purpose in the whole SS2 either (excluding the lakes in the very first level, and the one in the Kukulele prison level).

In SS3 JotN there is one chamber in the second level, where actually you have a water pool (and each time you jump in it you got hurt by the water surface impact).

But I agree, water is missing seriosly and some swimming and underwater sections are welcomed.
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #285   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
no water
I think CT interprets "water" with "sewers"