Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

Default Is this really a good idea?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11640298/

True freedom of expression is good however I questain the long term wisdom of leaveing the door open to others who for various reasons related to theyre beliefs might say...bring a rattle snake to school.
I just know some kid is going to say something to offend and trouble will persue.
This is not a good idea and in fact establishes a pattern that theatens to escalte imho.
They should save the decorations for specal occations.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Updating Fool

Societial rules should trump religious rules everytime, what are these people thinking?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

Um yeah, my religion requires me to carry a fully automatic assault rifle at all times, three hand grenades, and plastic explosives. I can bring plastic explosives to school right?
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

My religion requires me to pull out my dick in public any time I seek to mate with any nearby females.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Montana Moron

you can do anything you want to do.................unless you are a white christian male.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."----Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

slow, stupid, and harmless
Mordkessel^(WCFD)^
Old 03-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Shuriken is offline Send a message via AIM to Shuriken

I carry a knife at school.

OMG.

I actually want a new one. A nice folder, quick open with one hand, locking, a finger ring if I can manage it.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

...I was just going to say, i've hardly ever been without a knife at any point in the last 10 years...havent stabbed anyone yet.

The question raised by this story is not so much why do they let these kids have a dagger, so much as why do they freak out if other kids have a swiss army knife.

yes yes, i've heard of school violence, but it seems to happen anyway despite all the "zero tolerance" policys anyone can think to impliment.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper
Um yeah, my religion requires me to carry a fully automatic assault rifle at all times, three hand grenades, and plastic explosives. I can bring plastic explosives to school right?
I'm not saying that its right to let kids take daggers into school.. but...

...Has your religion got 100+ years behind it of tradition, moral code and values, that a group of people has built a culture around, a culture which millions of people are a part of ???

C'mon, I mean, this example you're offering is just ludicrous and a typical kneejerk reaction. You're American right? Stands to reason that the modern age of terrorism has you a little spooked, that's fine. I'm a little spooked too, I get a little pensive whenever I get on a London bus and see five coloured people all carrying something that they could hide a bomb in.

But we need to keep our heads on. There are no religions that require its members to carry around personal armouries, so lets not get carried away.

What I'd be worried about is that some dumbass redneck might want to use this as an excuse to take the dagger from the kid and use it on him - resulting in a racist attack.

Even if I were Sikh, I wouldn't take the dagger to school. No one can take it from you and use it against you that way.

I'd also like to know which religion requires somebody to carry a rattlesnake around with them also.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolmiztli
I'd also like to know which religion requires somebody to carry a rattlesnake around with them also.
Snake Handling a religious ritual practiced by certain small segments of Pentecostal Christians in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

though they don't carry them about with them exactly...
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

Theres a snake in my pants

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
_Ms
Lost Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben
Snake Handling a religious ritual practiced by certain small segments of Pentecostal Christians in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

though they don't carry them about with them exactly...

In one of my classes I had to do a report on the snake handlers. You would think that doing research on a method of religious practice would lead you to see that they are not crazy ass back wards inbreed psychos. Well not really, it only shows you to what extent that they are crazy ass back wards inbreed psychos.

What? Why not?
Jesus tastes too dry and stale
Old 03-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

What religious school kid wouldnt like to carry around a holy hand grenade?
This is school, kids will want to have crosses that are knifes and thowing jewish stars.
And just who does this all fall onto keep under some measure of control to see it does get out of hand?
All those kids wanting attention and they see some kid allowed to wear a knife to school, this is a resipe for resentment.

Last edited by ZEN; 03-03-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Devil's Advocate

The rules of society>The rules of religion. But the article conveniently leaves out wether or not students are generally allowed to carry pocket knives. So unless I read right passed that, this is probably much ado about nothing. If thats not the case then **** the kid, his dad and the sikhs. If your religion refuses to make compramise with the greater society it is a part of, I for one will be glad to see it fall by the wayside, and hopefully vanish altogether.

The fact that there are "orthodox" Sikhs suggests that there are more than one sect of the religion, meaning there are more than one inturpretation of the religious texts, so its not likely these "traditions" go beyond the superficial differences in inturpretation. Especially scince they make explicit reference to the fact it is an "orthodox" tradition.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:38 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger
My religion requires me to pull out my dick in public any time I seek to mate with any nearby females.
Really? I actually know someone else that practices that
Old 03-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolmiztli
I'm not saying that its right to let kids take daggers into school.. but...

...Has your religion got 100+ years behind it of tradition, moral code and values, that a group of people has built a culture around, a culture which millions of people are a part of ???
Yes. I'm an agnostic.

Obviously I was exaggerating for effect. So there's a religion that makes you wear a dagger. What if you followed some kind of knighthood association with a religion and you had to wear a sword, even a short one? I'm sorry, but a dagger is a weapon. A pocketknife can be used as a weapon, a dagger is a weapon -- it was made specifically for stabbing. A pocketknife like mine takes several seconds to open, and isn't very long or sharp, especially the point. A 6-inch dagger is very sharp, especially the point, and is much easier to attack someone with.

Even so, pocketknives were not allowed at my high school. You wouldn't be suspended if you brought one to school, you'd just have it confiscated until the end of the day and asked not to bring it again. No big deal, but still, you don't bring knives to school. Period. Yes, I'm an American, and no, my opinion on this matter has absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. I graduated high school long before 9/11 and we never had any disagreement about our school's no weapons policy.

Do you think an airline would allow a Sikh to wear a dagger on a plane? I don't think that would hold up in court in the US, Canada or anywhere else.
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
pee pee

toastar is offline Send a message via ICQ to toastar

i believe in equality.. which is a fine example of what this isn't. i think if you join a society and demand that they bend their rules to exempt you that something's a bit wrong. gay marriage as an example is "bending the rules" but it doesn't allow for anything that straight couples don't have, which is why i would consider it a fight for equality. i think it's great that people are able to practice whatever religion they want, but when it borders on the general law of the land... i dunno... maybe it's time for these people who demand change to reform their rules.

ps. sorry for bringing up gay marriage. the last 12552152 times this forum has participated in said subject it's gone up in flames.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Direwolf Founder

BurnHavoc is offline Send a message via ICQ to BurnHavoc Send a message via AIM to BurnHavoc Send a message via MSN to BurnHavoc Send a message via Yahoo to BurnHavoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordkessel
you can do anything you want to do.................unless you are a white christian male.
Umm, have you ever been to canada? Christians are the only religion to have their own schoolsystem that rivals the public system.
If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.
- Issac Asimov

Wii Number [2504 6833 4090 9541]