Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Default New Serious Sam beta information

Last weekend someone over on Croteam's Facebook page asked questions about old pre-release/beta versions of serious sam.

Questions:

Quote:
1.When did you took out the ghostbuster waepon from the game? (test1?,test2?)
2.Why did you scrapp whe Ghostbuster?Bugs?
3.Any way to put it in FE that it could work?
4.Are there more scrapped waepons that we dont know?
5.Did you keept the beta(with beta i mean early-build with colored hud)?
Answers:

Quote:

Croteam 1. Before test 1.
Croteam 2. We couldn't manage to do good visual weapon effects at that time, so we dropped it.
Croteam 3. Not likely.
Croteam 4. We had a Lava rocks gun in early design stages, which was to fire fast small hot rock projectiles, but we decided that laser gun was with similar firing characteristics, so we didn't need both.
Croteam 5. I went through bunch of backups, but couldn't located it yet. Will continue to look.
Some interesting info. Surprised that the Ghostbuster was deleted before Test 1, because it's listed as one of the weapons that could be bound in Test 1's option screens.

I had no idea that the Lava Rock Gun existed. There are zero traces of it in the final version. I'm guessing it was recycled for Ugh Zan III's fireball gun in the final version.

I hope they manage to find an early beta just to see how different it would be compared to the final version. Even if it doesn't have the colored HUD I'd still be interested in seeing a "full" version of Test 1.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: New Serious Sam beta information

That's some neat information. So with this, Ugh-Zan III seems to posses two of the scrapped guns: The Ghostbuster electricity gun and the Lava Rock gun.

Both are actually possible to be recreated in SSHD or SS3. I already recreated the electricity gun, based on the Minigun, though it was kinda buggy, for the lava rocks gun, you only have to replace the laser's projectiles.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 02-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

ALL MESSAGES ABOUT ME AND SS BETA:

CROTEAM (message 1)

Have to locate that one. That's not beta though. That was an early build that was pitched to publishers, along with a game design document. Interesting thing with that build was that we mailed it to 13 publishers and got only 2 responses, both negative. This pushed us into making Serious Sam Test demo and releasing it on the Internet, so we could hear what REAL gamers think. Rest is history.
CROTEAM (message 2)

Nisam stigao jos potraziti jer smo svi jos u guzvi. Nesto sam skeptican da ce se to uopce dati i pokrenuti jer je radjeno za win95 i to koliko se sjecam iskljucivo za 3dfx graficku karticu (cini mi se da se tako zvala), koja je tada bila aktualna za 3d.

CROTEAM (message 3)

pitanja:kad ste izbacili ghostbuster,zasto,jel ga mozemo vratiti,imali jos izbacenih oruzja koje nismo znali,jel imate betu.

Croteam:1. Before test 1.
Croteam:2. We couldn't manage to do good visual weapon effects at that time, so we dropped it.
Croteam:3. Not likely.
Croteam:4. We had a Lava rocks gun in early design stages, which was to fire fast small hot rock projectiles, but we decided that laser gun was with similar firing characteristics, so we didn't need both.
Croteam:5. I went through bunch of backups, but couldn't located it yet. Will continue to look.

CROTEAM (message 4)

Me:
I had read the levels of the new SS DLC Legend Of the Beast,the levels names are the same as some levels from your serious sam early build version,are theythe same levels?

Croteam: Yes, actually, we took the original level layout and worked from there.

CROTEAM (message 5)

Croteam: I found several cds where early prototype verison might be, but cds are dead (no wonder, after 12+ years). I will look more when I get some spare time and if I locate it, will release it.

CROTEAM (message 6)

Me:Croteam,i justwanted to know few infos about how did you started,just write if those thngs are true? so
1.Serious Sam was originally inspirated by Doom, but you havent enough money to buy they'r engine?
2. S-cape engine is just an early name of serious engine 1 (with many differences)?
3.In The Flesh became Serious Sam when one of your members had an enlightenment in wich he should change the names?
4.In The Flesh locations were Castles,egypt...i dont know other...were there any other?
5.THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE,were the weapon in "In The Flesh" the same (models & textures) like in the early build with colored hud?
i just want for informations so i can put in serious sam wiki because the infos there are quite incopleete

Croteam: 1.a. Yes, Doom was inspiration. 1.b. Money was not the reason, although we couldn't afford Doom engine at that time, but rather as most the key guys at that time were programmers, so we decided to do our own tech (2.5D engine in the beginning).

Croteam: 2. Yes.

Croteam: 3. Yes, I (Roman :-) ) decided we should have character name as a game name, similar to Duke Nukem, which I liked where they were going. Before name change I also decided we should change the original scenery, and instead of going with nightmares and hell settings, we should go with bright, open, sunny environments. With that change, Serious Sam sounded better to me than 'In The Flesh'.

Croteam: 4. No, original In the flesh settings were fierd dreams, nightmares, hell.

Croteam: 5. Yes, although colored hud came with name change.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

We've all seen/know this info, you slapped it everywhere on your facebook page.

Also you necro'd a 10 months old thread to show this?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danker View Post
We've all seen/know this info, you slapped it everywhere on your facebook page.

Also you necro'd a 10 months old thread to show this?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA yes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Your mom must have beaten you with a stupid stick.

Wait.

Actually, make that a beta stupid stick.

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)