Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam

Serious Sam This is the place to discuss anything that either spans multiple games or doesn't fit with one specific game!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Have there been any points in main Serious Sam games where you've had ammo problems?

By that I don't mean that you run out of ammo for one weapon. I mean situations where ammo supplies have gone so low that you're having serious difficulties in advancing the game. If not, what are the situations where it has gotten close to these situations?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:25 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Have there been any points in main Serious Sam games where you've had ammo proble

I'm a really ammo conservative player and a pretty good shot, so I almost never run into ammo problems in Serious Sam games. Except... Legend of the Goddamn Beast.

You get so little ammo and replenishment items it's a joke. The difficulty comes from not being able to recuperate from taking damage or missing shots instead of the actual fights, if you take a chunk of damage or waste too much ammo you might as well reload. It also mostly has uninspired and bland enemy scripting, with the most enemies you usually fight at once is a dozen. It's like Croteam gave the levels to a new employee and told this person to script it without any guidance or direction, and LotB is basically wasted potential and it makes me sad.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: Have there been any points in main Serious Sam games where you've had ammo proble

LotB DLC, and Sam 3 in general

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 11-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What he said.

Though I don't exactly think that LotB actually got bad enemy scripting. It's actually quite good. The problem is with the usage of enemy types imo. When I "fixed" them in SSHDX, all it took was to change the enemy types, maybe number at some point, and the battles became a whole lot better.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

SS3 lacks ammo for the weapons you WANT to use, like the cannon and Devastator. I find myself with far too much shotgun for assault ammo for most of the game. (which is useless against armored enemies)

I do agree with Discy for legend of the Beast DLC, to be totally honest. It felt like one of one of "RatBoy"'s maps only not as good.

Last edited by Captain_Russia; 11-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I've never had any ammo problems in any Serious Sam game, the pickups are pretty generous, especially shotgun ammo, it's all over the place.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

So shotgun might as well have infinite ammo and you wouldn't notice the difference?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

You would notice. Even if you get a metric shit-ton of ammo you still know it's finite in the back of your mind, and you'll at least keep in mind to keep track of how much ammo you found/used. If you have infinite ammo you'll throw all caution to the wind.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 11-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Legend of the Beast is the only SS campaign I rage quit. I turned on God mode and no clipped to the final (crappy) boss.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Can't really add anything to the words that gentlemen above me said. LotB and Sam3 are the only games I remember having weird ammo problems. Just like Cap said, it's usually the situations when you don't get the ammo for the weapons you really want to use, yet at the same time you have a lot of pickups for something that you don't really need. I always felt the lack of ammo for tommygun in LotB for example.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Nope. All the games have plenty of ammo. Never run out of ammo.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Interestingly, if I edit the levels from the First and Second Encounter so that all the possible enemies in serious difficulty would appear in every difficulty, I still have enough ammo to get me through the game, when playing on normal or hard difficulty. There are only a few places where I need to be careful.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman40 View Post
So shotgun might as well have infinite ammo and you wouldn't notice the difference?
I'm making sure that I get close to the enemy to get most if not all the pellets to hit, if the ammo was infinite I'd just spam the weapon from a distance and use it much less efficiently
Old 11-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

I don't have ammo problem in Lotb since the Revolvers are handy enough and most of the enemies are Beheadeds, but CT must be mad to make the first 3 levels in the game so damn difficult. Arachnoids in the first level? No wonder they were cut. Although, level design-wise, they're pretty cool. I like how you start out in the city area instead of temples and tombs like in TFE. But yeah, Tommy Gun ammo is quite low in Lotb.

But SS3/Jotn on the other hand is a whole new beast. Luckily there's enough Shells and AR ammo everywhere in addition to Rocket/C4 crates, but there's just not enough ammo for Minigun, Cannon, and Devastator in SS3. It makes the game a lot more tedious because now enemies take longer to kill. Fuck that piece of shit SS3.