Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2 > Serious Sam 2 Workshop

Serious Sam 2 Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 2 projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #241   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Lightbulb Re: Fix for dual-core processors

Knight_Christian, I dont know if you tried it already, but I had a similar issue with a different video card (game not working on patch 2.070), and I changed a setting in this file:

"[Serious Sam 2 directory]\Content\SeriousSam2\Sam2.ini"

go to the line:

mdl_bHardwareSkinning=

Put it at 0 instead of 1 so it looks like: mdl_bHardwareSkinning=0

Usually the patch 2.070 puts it at 1 if im not mistaken, and it screwed things up on my old computer

Hope it will help

I dont think that particular issue is related to dual core though

Last edited by zubyo; 06-24-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a comment
Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #242   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Default Re: Fix for dual-core processors

No, thanks, the setting doesn't do anything, the screen stays black. And Fiendan, how should I upgrade my laptop? I won't buy a new laptop only for SS2 2.070...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #243   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Christian View Post
I won't buy a new laptop only for SS2 2.070...
You wouldn't be buying a new laptop just for SS2.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #244   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendan View Post
You wouldn't be buying a new laptop just for SS2.
Though every game I tested on my laptop works fine
And SS2 runs incredible smooth there though it has no graphics and sound card.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #245   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_Christian View Post
Though every game I tested on my laptop works fine
And SS2 runs incredible smooth there though it has no graphics and sound card.
The word 'Fine' will lose it's meaning once you try the same games on a computer that doesn't suck.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #246   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendan View Post
The word 'Fine' will lose it's meaning once you try the same games on a computer that doesn't suck.
Yeah right
But anyway, I can cope with 2.068 patch, my SS2 runs smoooooth and I can hear my music while playing, I don't really need more to be happy
Old 08-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #247   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

just a question. i started to read through all the questions etc in this thread, but obviously i dont have the time nor patience to read through it all.
i jsut bought a hp paviliion a6109n from bestbuy, specs are
amd athalon 64 x2 dual core 3800
vista home premium
2 gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (128 i believe)
dont know my sound specs

BASICALLY ive read up that dual cores arent supposed to be the be all endall with games right now as they arent designed to utilise them really, but ive got FEAR, Serious Sam 2 (duh lol), STALKER and halflife 2 & episode one.
Fear runs awesome, which i read is supposed to, and serious sam DIDNT but i tried that sfx_iapi thing. the iapi=1 did nothing for the game, so i tried 2 and bingo. BUT now my cutscenes etc. all suck ass and have choppy and screwy sound.
i also looked around for stalker support, couldnt find any that was useful, so ill psot that here too.
stalker runs like SHIT basically lol its pretty laggy, sound sucks, i get LOTS of lag when i shoot etc.
with all these games ive tried cranking down the detail and stuff but they still lag liek a mother, and i THOUGHT i bought a half decent comp. HELL theres even a sticker on it that says its for gaming lol but bascially i can just run FEAR pretty good and i dont think i should have to turn down all my damn quality settings just to play should i? any input MUCH appreciated, but note im a comp newb lol
ps: the affinity thing does nothing for either games and STALKER wont even let me exit to task manager while its running
Old 08-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #248   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Can you post the content of your Sam2.log file here? You can find it in the Serious Sam II install directory.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #249   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze33 View Post
stalker runs like SHIT basically lol its pretty laggy, sound sucks, i get LOTS of lag when i shoot etc.
with all these games ive tried cranking down the detail and stuff but they still lag liek a mother, and i THOUGHT i bought a half decent comp. HELL theres even a sticker on it that says its for gaming lol but bascially i can just run FEAR pretty good and i dont think i should have to turn down all my damn quality settings just to play should i?
You actually believe advertisement stickers? As a tech savvy let me say that your computer was not designed for gaming, far far far away from it. The processor and memory are decent, but the video accelerator, the most important gaming hardware, is a piece of shit.

You got ripped off I'm afraid.

But you should be able to get SS2 to run smoothly if you lower enough settings. Post your Sam2.log as Disconnector suggested, that way we get an idea of what to lower for best performance improvements.

Last edited by Fiendian; 08-25-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #250   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

and do i fidn that just in the root folder thing where it installed on my comp?
and would a better grtaphics card help?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #251   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

You find the log file here:
C:\Program Files\Serious Sam 2\Sam2.log

And yes, a video card would make all the difference (you don't have a video card right now, just an integrated accelerator). Get yourself a 6800 GT, cost nothing these days. But make sure you buy the correct one for your motherboard, do you have AGP or PCI-Express slot?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 AM   #252   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

its not there lol and i searched my comp for it. not there either lol
im guessing thats bad :S
Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #253   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

If you didn't install the game into the default location, then naturally you won't find it there.
I'll rephrase: X:\path\to\SS2 folder\Sam2.log

X = Drive letter that fits your case.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #254   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

no i checked serious sam 2 is there, along with all the other files except the sam2.log
i searched my entire comp for it using the search thing and its not on my comp at all?
EDIT: i was looking around and found this thread http://www.seriouszone.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=808340 i have the same problem as 'alecs' but to my knowledge i dont have alcohol or daemon.
if it helps everytime i put the run disk in i get a error message ' E:\ Application Not Found' yet the game launches fine from my shortcut
it also crashes everytime when i get to 'road to ursul'

Last edited by Kamikaze33; 08-27-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #255   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Did you update the game to version 2.070? Also, it's important to install the latest drivers for your video and audio card.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #256   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Angry Re: Fix for dual-core processors

i've got a dual core proceser and installed patch 2.070 and it buggerd up me ssam2 reinstalled it won't go up to screen resolution (quote to this messageit won't go up to screen resolution what i mean by that it says it's on me screen resolition which is 1280x800 and is sqaure and I got a widescreen) it's gone all jurged on the game but before it worked perfect untill i installed the patch. and I reinstalled it the game but have lots of proplems listed

note: got a laptop
Old 01-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #257   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

So what exactly is the problem? You want to use a custom resolution but it doesn't get saved/applied? You can manually change the resolution of the game this way. Go to your Serious Sam 2 installation dir, and then Content\SeriousSam2. Open Sam2.ini and search for these lines:

gfx_pixResWidth = 1024;
gfx_pixResHeight = 768;

Or if you're using windowed mode:
gfx_pixWinWidth = 640;
gfx_pixWinHeight = 480

Change the numbers to a resolution of your liking. Also, don't forget to properly set the aspect ratio with this command:

gfx_fAspectRatio = 1.3333;

By the way, contrary to popular belief, punctuation won't hurt you.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #258   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

And in case you're unsure how the aspect ratio value is calculated: Width / height = ratio. You want to use 1.6, the 1.33 one is for 5:4 aspect ratio, which is actually commonly used by 4:3 monitors for some odd reason. (1280 x 960 is a well known example)
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #259   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

This is kinda on-topic so I'll ask it here;

What aspect ratio should I use if I use 1280x1024 resolution? Because SS2 shows black lines on both ends of my screen when I attempt to run it on that resolution. A fix would be nice because 1280x1024 looks considerably better than 1280x960 on my monitor. I'm guessing 5:4, is that it?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #260   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
What aspect ratio should I use if I use 1280x1024 resolution? Because SS2 shows black lines on both ends of my screen when I attempt to run it on that resolution. A fix would be nice because 1280x1024 looks considerably better than 1280x960 on my monitor. I'm guessing 5:4, is that it?
gfx_fAspectRatio=1.25

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 03-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #261   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Hey all!
I know it has been a while, but thought I'd post since I was stalking today. I had a problem with the video component of the game not opperational. I'd start SS2 and I heard the start-up splash screens, and saw nothing on screen but "Invalid Format" from my monitor(LG 20LS70). Well, that meant I just had to tweek the game Res to a compatible level. Well after reading a few posts/threads this one in particular, I knew I was in the ballpark. I am a computer hobbyist at best but I knew enough to start accessing the Sam2 file. The .ini files are the ones that tell the game about your rig and it's settings. And if worse came to worse I can always reinstall. Well I changed the file compatability for the .exe file from Vista back to XP. I used the Res suggested in this post, and changed the refresh rate. And I was 'Sound as a Pound'! A quick note: see my system specs, but I am using an AMD Phenom(Quad core) 4GB mem, Vista Home Prem 64-bit(because of the 4GB RAM). My case has a 800W PS and I have about 6 fans in this thing. Oh yeah, this is a Troy-boy Special(Not sold in any store). This is for the benefit of those with an AMD Quad running Vista 64-bit, it works. Well to bed since I work 2-nite. Cheers!
troylawson

"You have the right to exercise free speech, in as much as I have the right not to listen to your filth!"-Thomas Jefferson

Decorated, Honorably Discharged, Gulf War, U.S. Navy Veteran

"Many good people died to extend to you the right of free speech. Please say something of value."-John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Lawman; 03-26-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #262   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

Thank you for your helpful input.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #263   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Hi someone. I dont know if this issue is for this forum but as I have a new computer it might be related. I installed SS2 and I could play until I reached ROAD TO URSUL; then, just when the simba in a car appears the game crashes always in the same point as I cant go further from a spot in that part. I have a GeForce 8600 GS and dual core. FYI I am Spanish so I dont really know what to do to fix this crash. I hope someone could help.
PD: The windows message error that appears tells me to send the error log to support but I dont know how to do it; my hardware is totally updated aswell.
Cheers