Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Talk about the stuff that makes you jive! Music, art, movies, anime, TV, YouTube, whatever! You can even show off your creations here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2002, 11:41 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

xxzen is offline Send a message via MSN to xxzen
Default Return To Oz.......

Got a chance to finally see the 1985 Disney movie Return To Oz last night.......talk about Dark and Disturbing........worth checking out if you get a chance......their is a briallance to this film, if you pay attention.....
Old 02-17-2002, 04:20 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

I saw that as a youngish child. And being at a young age I was severely disturbed by that movie. Id see it again if I had the chance though. But I havent seen it anywhere.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 02-17-2002, 04:41 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

Funny you should mention OZ. L. Frank Baum was from Chitenango NY. I live about 25 miles from there and I have seen some strange parades commemorating him and his story. The Grand Marshall is almost always a munchkin but munchkins are getting scarce nowadays. Did you know that the "Wizard of Oz" is a cleverly disguised tale about the politics of the time period it was written in, and that it was originally a newspaper article?

--Lupo
Old 02-17-2002, 05:38 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

remember it having something to do with Populism........Baum was a newspaper editor I think..........I definitely like to find some time to read his Return to Oz.......

gonna see if I can find something on the politics of Oz........
Old 02-17-2002, 05:48 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

the article that started the examination of the Wizard of Oz as a Political Allegory..........
http://www.amphigory.com/oz.htm

another examination
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/dbj5/oz.html

http://www.literarytraveler.com/images/west/baum.gif
Old 02-17-2002, 05:57 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

review of Return to Oz from IMDb..........

In this movie adaptation of L. Frank Baum's classic books, Dorothy, who has returned home to Kansas after her adventure in Oz, has trouble readjusting to life after the tornado and her infamous journey. Naturally, no one believes Dorothy's tale, and when Dorothy suffers insomnia, a desperate Aunt Em enlists the aid of a doctor at a medical clinic who, unbeknownst to Dorothy and Aunt Em, performs harmful experiments (nothing graphic -- it's just suggested) on children. In the midst of a rainstorm, Dorothy escapes the clinic to the nearby river, and floats to freedom in a chicken coop, only to awaken in the morning to find herself once again in the mystical and magical world of Oz. Once there, however, Dorothy is soon horrified to realize that the land is in peril, and is now controlled by an evil tyrant of a king. Now it's up to Dorothy to once again save the land she has come to love.

Those wishing to see this movie should most definitely know that it is in no way a continuation of the events of the 1939 classic, and the two should not be compared, for while they share some of the same characters, each is a classic in its own right. The differences are definitely apparent. The Judy Garland classic varied in many ways from the original books, while Return to Oz stays true in a greater way to Baum's original writing. In Return to Oz, Dorothy is a young child -- I'm not sure if her age is ever mentioned, but she appears to be around 10 or so. You may in fact recognize the face -- it's Fairuza Balk, who has appeared in many recent films such as The Craft and The Waterboy. The Scarecrow, Tinman, and Cowardly Lion are featured, but only the Scarecrow has even a mentionable role. There are, however, a number of loveable characters introduced in this film: Tik-Tok, a mechanical man, Jack Pumpkinhead, whose name pretty much says it all, and my personal favorite -- Ozma, the sweet and lovely Queen of Oz. Then there's the deliciously villanous Princess Mombie, who has a collection of stolen heads which she wears to suit her moods, and is played to near-perfection by the talented Jean Marsh, whom you may recognize as Queen Bavmorda from Willow (another fantasy classic that is a must-see). Topping the newcomers list is the Nome King, who is responsible for the things that have gone horribly awry in the land of Oz. Those who view this movie must do so without any preconceptions or expectations. It is NOT a sequel and should not be viewed as such. The producers of the film chose wisely in making this film instead of the original Wizard of Oz story -- the "remake" wouldn't have stood a chance against the classic 1939 version. Instead, it gives more to those who fell in love with the land of Oz and wished they could see "what happens next."
Old 02-17-2002, 07:32 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  

sartophiketle is offline Send a message via ICQ to sartophiketle
Default Re: Return To Oz.......

Quote:
Originally posted by xxzen
Got a chance to finally see the 1985 Disney movie Return To Oz last night.......talk about Dark and Disturbing........worth checking out if you get a chance......their is a briallance to this film, if you pay attention.....
yeah i remember this movie, i think i saw it when it first came out in '85, i was only 5 then, i remember liking the movie, but that part where the witch removed her head scared the shit out of me... i don't think ive seen it since about '85 - '86... i am thinking of the right movie aren't i? a witch does remove her head and replace it with another one?

there was also a cartoon series of return to oz as well.... but of course it wasn't like the movie, basically just using the characters form the movie i think... too long ago for me to remember it properly.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:42 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
untitled.

Hollywood is offline Send a message via MSN to Hollywood

the cartoon series was anime wasn't it

all i remember was the king riding this large tunneling worm.

and yes that movie was good, Jack the pumpkin or woteva stands out the most in my mind.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

The only thing I remember is some unicycle type thingies chasing dorothy. That movie really freaked me out bad.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus