Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Default [Open Poll] What's your Fight Design tips?

https://i.imgur.com/Prjp4PG.png

Hello guys! You might wonder why this topic is in Showcases & Portfolios.

Well, I'm trying to collect as much information as possibles concerning Fight Design on Serious Sam series.
I've been thinking about writing a guide talking about that. I'm actually working on a Serious Editor 1 Complete Guide.

This first post will contain the guide once finished, but this will take some time.

What about making this guide together? I mean, feel free to give your opinions about any type of fight design.
Share us what makes you feel a fight being well designed, you are free to talk about what you want. Any weapons, any enemies, any layout, any size of area

I have actually two goals : improve myself in Fight Design and collect informations in order to write a guide.

EDIT: Any images is welcome to illustrate your thoughts.

https://i.imgur.com/rnQh5xQ.png
  • Here will be collected some tips. I won't write everything if there are too much ideas, I'll collect them for another document, the one that I'll write, and there will be images, examples and maybe videos accompanying the ideas.

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.

Last edited by Rakanishu; 04-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
JiN
Kleer

Thumbs up Re: [Open Poll] What's your Fight Design tips?

https://i.imgur.com/51xfEee.png

There is some example how to make advanced enemies spawn instead 10 kleers in front of your face.
- Disable spawn sound when player actual don't see enemy/pickup
- Most annoying and difficult thing is adding enemies behind too
- Don't add too long Delay between enemy spawn if you put more than 1 spawn on spawner because its getting annoying sometimes
- Combine enemies between ability to make it more difficult

Guess over all this is some basics stuff for advanced enemy spawning

-
Keep up man let's bring modders and community so we will keep Classic alive.. no hope 4 Fusion
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

Default Re: [Open Poll] What's your Fight Design tips?

This example is good. In corridors or areas between two places it is always a good idea to place enemies behind you to make pressure. Of course, enemies behind may be weaker than those in front of you. The good example is Dunes from TFE, where you fight with red biomechs in front, while behind you spawned enemies are small biomechs, kleers and kamikazes. When you want the player to explore map a bit don't make difficult fights, just some weak enemies to give player to breathe before big fight. Each monster must be supported by another one. I mean a simple combo of gnaar and rocketer. Rocketer will be focused first and that gives gnaar a Chance to reach the player. Rocketer if far away can shoot the player easily because player will be busy with gnaar etc.

The most used enemy is kleer, which is annoying and replacement would be cool. Gnaars with rocketers and other headless in wide areas is a good replacement. We can even use harpy as a kleer replacement.

When you set harpy to ground only, it will behave similar to skeletons. We have an enemy that shoot from distance and can fight melee, the damage values are the same for harpy and kleer. Harpy is slower than kleer so it can be used in small areas. Harpy is smaller than kleer so it is more difficult to shot down from distance. Also harpy gets one shoted by knife so we can use tchem more frequently at the beginning of map.

The least used enemy is lava golem and fish. Lava golem are nice for zoning the player because of their splash attack. Fishes can be used only in water, this is why they are not used often.

Always combine melee enemies with ranged ones. It makes fighting more difficult. A pumpkin head and zorg is good example. Pumpkin head can rush from front or sides while zorgs shoot from sides or from higher points of the area.

Kamikaze is deadly zoning weapon. They are most often used to circle the player, but can be also used as a surprise. Kamikaze spawned in front of you at small distance is a good way to start a fight with weaker enemies. Kamikazes will be focused by player while the weak ones can circle him or block him to make kamikaze even more dangerous.

Scorpions are the only hit scan enemy. Make sure it will be fair to fight them. Place object that player can use as a cover against them. If you are not going to make a cover, spawn scorpions in place that player can easily spot. Front, back, sides, the closest tower.

Frogs are no trouble because chainsaw is too powerful against them. To make tem a threat place another enemies that should be focused first. Bull, scorpions or kamikazes etc.

I have many more ideas so I will post here regulary with another fight ideas.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Default Re: [Open Poll] What's your Fight Design tips?

Thank you guys for your ideas.

I do agree with the fact that it's more interesting to play with enemy markers. Enemies coming from here or there. It smoothes a lot the fight, despite spawns are sometimes cool too when nicely set up.

I'll try as soon as possible to make some analysis of the fights of some areas I like in TFE or TSE, it deserves and maybe we could understand more the way fights work

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.