Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #151   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Default Re: Ir-Kalla (Serious Sam classic map project)

This is wonderful!

Like, really, just great. Great!

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #152   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbewe View Post
Wow, just wow
YouTube Video: Wow..
Old 12-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #153   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

One question, is this your first published level, since you joined like 12 years ago?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #154   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Does that matter?

Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #155   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetroid View Post
Does that matter?
Nothing wrong with a little conversation
Old 12-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #156   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Sorry, I just got a "I can't believe it's taken you 12 years to release a map when I released one after x years/months, etc" vibe. Apologies if I took it the wrong way.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #157   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Russia View Post
One question, is this your first published level, since you joined like 12 years ago?
... yes.

Let me just point out that I am a bona fide perfectionist who is never satisfied with anything he does.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #158   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

*knocks over your desk*
Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #159   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

What the hell, man?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:45 PM   #160   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

yeah, I'm like that too, gonna make sure it's completely finished
Old 01-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #161   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

After showing the pictures of the refurbished dusk map, I've spent a few weeks mastering the vertex editor. I wasn't that good at making structures while keeping a low enough polycount. I did so because the next map I'm working on is an underground map, and I want this to be leak-free and as efficient as I can possibly make it. There will be a lot of destroyed ruins, broken down architecture to give you the impression that it's an underground tomb that has long since gone into decay. I've spent a few days working on it, and here's some shots of what I have now.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the CSG work, the texture set and the overall atmosphere.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #162   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

Amazing as always, Joey . Add a slight bit of fog/haze for more effect
Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #163   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Sorry, but the cave textures are fucking atrocious, especially in pic 1 and 2 (though it may be the lighting as well). The brick wall texture in pic 3 needs to be aligned properly with the ground.

Can't comment on the architecture because I'm shit at anything that isn't a perfect cube/cuboid, but since you can do something better than me, I guess that's okay. Nice shrine in pic 5 but the waterfall looks wonky, so try to do what CT did with the Moon Mountains waterfall.

All in all, avoid underground/cave maps
Old 01-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #164   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZynX View Post
Amazing as always, Joey . Add a slight bit of fog/haze for more effect
Thank you, that's a good idea. Maybe some fog that gets thicker the deeper you go. Nothing too thick, just a slight fog for atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
Sorry, but the cave textures are fucking atrocious, especially in pic 1 and 2 (though it may be the lighting as well). The brick wall texture in pic 3 needs to be aligned properly with the ground.
Well, that's real direct. Any suggestions on how to improve a cave texture? They're a real bitch to make. And I'd love to align every texture with the proper horizontal axis, but with the way Serious Engine 1 works that'd take forever.

Quote:
Can't comment on the architecture because I'm shit at anything that isn't a perfect cube/cuboid, but since you can do something better than me, I guess that's okay. Nice shrine in pic 5 but the waterfall looks wonky, so try to do what CT did with the Moon Mountains waterfall.
You mean a seperate brush with a scrolling water texture? Yeah, that's what that is. Maybe it looks shitty from this angle, but I think it looks pretty good in motion. Here's another shot from another angle:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31840/sf/2016-01/Ik2m3_WF.jpg

Quote:
All in all, avoid underground/cave maps
No thanks, I want a challenge and I promised myself I'd make an underground cave map and I'd make an awesome one at that.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #165   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Hmm, I think you need to reduce the opacity of the water texture and make it a light shade of blue, or both blue and white together. Also I suggest using more of that white foam effect thing along the waterfall's path, because that's how real waterfalls are like.

As for the cave textures, I really have no idea because I'm shit, but I think the problem comes from the fact that it looks too fullbright. Even if it isn't, it all looks like it has the same level of lighting, which exposes the ugliness of the texture. I suggest you make the map dark so the ugliness won't be too noticeable. Just keep a line of lights to show the main path of the map so players know where to go. Try not to light too much of the walls/ceilings though, and only put lights at where the player really needs it (in other words, avoid unnecessary light).

Also, the cave where the waterfall comes from is pretty ugly too, so apply the same darkness trick there.

Last edited by PikaCommando; 01-26-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #166   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Add more lights, ambience and "shadows" in general. That way you can hide the tiling of the cave textures.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #167   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Ah yes, so this is what the Dark Light is made for. He is not the hero we deserve, but the one we need right now. The time has come and so has he!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #168   Add To Ignore List  
ZynChroMaTiK

Man, blue water is so oldschool. Nowadays water looks like water, colorless and transparent. Well, keeping it blue doesn't affect the atmosphere though.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #169   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Wish post-SE2 had dark lights too.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #170   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I see what you guys mean. The first shot's cave lighting was pretty WIP, but I've gone ahead and redid the lighting for both caves. How about this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31840/sf/2016-01/Ik2m3_c2.jpg

I will not make it too dark, however, and I might turn up the brightness in some parts. This because I still want Fiendian to be able to properly play my maps despite his bad eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZynX View Post
Man, blue water is so oldschool. Nowadays water looks like water, colorless and transparent. Well, keeping it blue doesn't affect the atmosphere though.
I love the blue water. If you set the texture and polygon property to shade it looks just wonderful.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #171   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

much better
Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #172   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

I'm a big fan of the broken-up architecture in the second picture, and hope that it continues throughout the level, even if it's just a missing tile or two around the place.

The third picture is just gorgeous.
That environment feels perfect for some earthquake effects.

You asked for critique, so here goes (It looks really nice, so don't get me wrong when I make these criticism!):

I agree with PikaCommando that the cave walls don't look so great. I'm of the opinion that there's too much going on with them; try keeping them very plain and adding detail through models like vineleaves. (And Decals if that is possible in SED1 - can't recall.)

I also think that typically, the game arena should be brighter (floor and waist-level on the walls), but the ceilings should be darker.

I think that in the cave section shown in picture one, there should be much greater indicator that that is the correct way to go. Try make the doorway and surrounding areas brighter (I would want the light to 'bleed' through from that man-made structure and out into the surrounding cave network slightly. ) As you approach, if possible, these lights should tone down (disabling the lights as you move closer) so that the room appears in the state shown in picture 2. (Perhaps even have a Lens Flare which fades/disables as you get closer?) I realise that this would have quite a complex trigger/touchfield network, but I reckon that you can do it, and that it would have a very nice effect - especially if some form of enemy was rushing forth at you from that entrance!
Additionally, if you feel up to a challenge, you could try adding a small stream to guide the player to that doorway, resulting in a small pool of water just before the door (or knee-height flooding!). The cave leads downwards, no? Caves are sometimes formed by running water.

I feel like the stairs in the fourth picture could look nicer if you used the cut/trim (can't remember the terminology) to create a metal edge on the lip of the step. Something also feels off with the roof in this area. I feel like the roof above the stairs should be much lower, but where the landing is, following the corner wall, the roof should remain at the same hight - ie, so that the area 'opens up' into the corridor. I think right now it's setting off my claustrophobia and it feels like that stairwell is 'squeezing' me.

I also feel like the stretch factor on the temple structure is too low at the top. There is definite tiling noticeable, and given that you are never going to be close to it, the texture will never be noticeably too blurred.

The brightness of the waterfall is also juxtaposed with the darkness in as somewhat unappealing way - it might be the white frothy sprites - any way to tone them slightly grey? I think thematically (obviously depending on how deep this cave is), it could be quite nice to have a small hole in the ceiling cast a godray onto the waterfall, allowing you to make a case to use the animated water-reflection-light detail texture.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #173   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Am i the only one which reminds Discys work of TES Morrorwind/Oblivion scenery!?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #174   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the broken-up architecture in the second picture, and hope that it continues throughout the level, even if it's just a missing tile or two around the place.
Expect broken shit everywhere. Pillars crumbled down, loose tiles and bricks (like the third shot), collapsed hallways, and especially a lot of architecture that got destroyed throughout the years of decay. I've already put a lot of effort into that, so expect more of it. I'm dragging that bitch of an engine to its limit and beyond.

Quote:
I agree with PikaCommando that the cave walls don't look so great. I'm of the opinion that there's too much going on with them; try keeping them very plain and adding detail through models like vineleaves. (And Decals if that is possible in SED1 - can't recall.)
Sadly there aren't quality decals that fit the theme of the level. The models I can use is also limited, but I'll try to use some greenery here and there. How do you like the second version of the cave lighting, though?

Quote:
I also think that typically, the game arena should be brighter (floor and waist-level on the walls), but the ceilings should be darker.

I think that in the cave section shown in picture one, there should be much greater indicator that that is the correct way to go. Try make the doorway and surrounding areas brighter (I would want the light to 'bleed' through from that man-made structure and out into the surrounding cave network slightly. ) As you approach, if possible, these lights should tone down (disabling the lights as you move closer) so that the room appears in the state shown in picture 2. (Perhaps even have a Lens Flare which fades/disables as you get closer?) I realise that this would have quite a complex trigger/touchfield network, but I reckon that you can do it, and that it would have a very nice effect - especially if some form of enemy was rushing forth at you from that entrance!
Additionally, if you feel up to a challenge, you could try adding a small stream to guide the player to that doorway, resulting in a small pool of water just before the door (or knee-height flooding!). The cave leads downwards, no? Caves are sometimes formed by running water.
It should still be playable in co-op, and I have absolutely no intention of wasting away any more time with fancy bells and whistles like that. It's already been on my plate for far too long.

The stream of water idea is nice, but I'm bound to a 1300 on-screen poly limit and I'm already dangerously close with the current areas. Hacking out more stuff in there isn't really possible, but I'll keep it in mind for later areas.

Quote:
The brightness of the waterfall is also juxtaposed with the darkness in as somewhat unappealing way - it might be the white frothy sprites - any way to tone them slightly grey? I think thematically (obviously depending on how deep this cave is), it could be quite nice to have a small hole in the ceiling cast a godray onto the waterfall, allowing you to make a case to use the animated water-reflection-light detail texture.
The level's setting is deep underground, so no sun beams will reach this far. Maybe near the end of the level when you're getting close to the top. Also, the waterfall foam isn't really customizable, only particle size and count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
Am i the only one which reminds Discys work of TES Morrorwind/Oblivion scenery!?
I'll take that as a compliment. So thanks.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #175   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, I wonder if SS1 got the ambient color modifier for enemies. If you noticed in SSHD, on night levels, enemies are still perfectly visible, like if they were glowing. This is due to Croteam intentionally making the enemies brighter in darker levels using the ambient modifier setting. Because visibility is key in battles.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #176   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Yes. Serious Sam Classic has the "color" property on an enemy that indicates its brightness level. It's black by default, and if set to white enemies are fullbright. You can also set any funky color in the RGB spectrum.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #177   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Can you set them to be black even in total light somehow?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #178   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

No. They are always influenced by light, the color settings only ADDS to that light level.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #179   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Can I add blacklight to the light level?

Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #180   Add To Ignore List  

Unreal style temple dungeons?