Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 05:54 AM   #211   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Default Re: Ir-Kalla (Serious Sam classic map project)

Eww lots of screenshots are dead

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #212   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakanishu View Post
Eww lots of screenshots are dead
Yes, thank you. Now here's some news:

• I have updated the first post with a lot of information.
  • The second post contains a lot of screenshots and I'll also be adding any new screenshots there as well.
  • The third post will be a news hub. Since this thread is often a spamfest, I'll be posting links there to all update posts I've written so you can easily find them.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #213   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #214   Add To Ignore List  

What third post?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #215   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

It'll be there soon.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #216   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Well, we've already discussed at length over Steam Chat, but I will post here as well, since I know how much you love glowing praise

Anyway, looks gorgeous and love reading all the details you haven't really shared up to this point. Glad to see a breakdown of what all the episodes will be once it is complete. I had no idea you were striving for 15-30 hours of gameplay, that is quite the project!

Anyway, looks smexy as always and looking forward to reading all the updates!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #217   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

All right, the third post in the thread has been restored and filled with general completion information, so you can get a pretty good idea how far along development is.

I won't retroactively add news posts to the third post, because most of the screenshots are dead anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
Well, we've already discussed at length over Steam Chat, but I will post here as well, since I know how much you love glowing praise

Anyway, looks gorgeous and love reading all the details you haven't really shared up to this point. Glad to see a breakdown of what all the episodes will be once it is complete. I had no idea you were striving for 15-30 hours of gameplay, that is quite the project!

Anyway, looks smexy as always and looking forward to reading all the updates!
Yeah, like I said: I don't enjoy talking about things I don't even know myself yet. I think a lot of people didn't think it was really going anywhere, since it's been four years since the first screenshot. But now it feels like the project is actually heading towards a completion point, so I feel more comfortable talking about these things. I never released anything before, so I wanted to make something unforgettable, and I think the size of this project shows what I can do.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #218   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I guess besides those Third Encounter mappacks, there's something else to look forward to regards to SS1 Classic.

Though I'd personally love if it was made for Revolution, only to use some of its new features and not have yet again the same kinds of enemies, weapons and the exact same boring bosses all over again.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #219   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

I think the project is a really good use of your time.
It is something you will look back on in the future with fond memories, and I am sure you will feel a great sense of achievement when you slap that release 1.0.0 tag on it.
You're giving something great back to this community. (not that you haven't given back so much already! Playtesting the official games, moderating these boards, etc. Your personality has probably contributed to keeping members on this board alone at times! ) I know* that the players will love it, and I fully believe that it will be widely regarded as one of the best campains released for the game.

*Fair Disclosure:
Discy gave me the incredible priviledge of playtesting E3M1 a while back, and I was incredibly impressed. It was a standard of content a cut well above the bar. Joey has managed to achieve something amazing with E3M1- an incredibly nonlinear map with great gameplay flow. This should allow for a great deal of replayability as you can potentially enter an area from various different angles!

Unlike many custom levels where battles simply consist of spawners churning out the same enemy repeatedly until you are overwhelmed (A trait shared in some areas of CroTeam maps for the classic games!), I found all of the battles I experienced in E3M1 to be beautifully hand-crafted with love and care. The mission was harsh but fair - I originally started up on Hard mode, but I got my ass handed to me and humbly returned to Normal. Once on Normal, I found myself having plentiful enough resources to not be frustrated, but few enough to make things challenging. Only a couple of areas in this leviathan map felt 'unfair', and I had a blast of a time to shoot through it.

Joey's brilliance in humour definitely shines through in his secrets. I particularly enjoyed running into two Zumb'ul enjoying a Electrofish roast!

I definitely eagerly await the entire campaign after having had a taste!

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.

Last edited by Jetroid; 07-15-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #220   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Who the fuck is Joey?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #221   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Discy
Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 AM   #222   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Though I'd personally love if it was made for Revolution, only to use some of its new features and not have yet again the same kinds of enemies, weapons and the exact same boring bosses all over again.
There's actually a few reasons I'm not migrating this to Revolution:
  • Most importantly, Revolution is still a work in progress and will be for a while yet. Any update can and might break my maps, and I just don't want to run that risk. 1.07 TSE has been a standard since 2002 and it won't change or break shit now.
  • Maximize the player base. A lot of people either don't have or don't want Revolution, and because Classic maps can be played in Revolution but not the other way around I hope it's obvious I prefer Classic.
  • As of writing the netcode of Revolution is inferior to Classic. I know this will be fixed, but since my maps are built to be very co-op accessible I'd hate to ruin a big part of the appeal, combined with all the above options.

Revolution has some really nice options, but they're not worth the bad aspects. Besides, there's plenty of content coming out for Revolution and new Sam games, why not accept that there's still interest in "boring old" Classic if it's very well done and polished? If you don't like it, just don't play it. You don't have to shit on every parade you see just because it's not SE3+ powered, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
Who the fuck is Joey?
He's the guy I keep in my basement making maps for me. I get all the credit and chicks, and he gets a bit of food and water.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #223   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
There's actually a few reasons I'm not migrating this to Revolution:
  • Most importantly, Revolution is still a work in progress and will be for a while yet. Any update can and might break my maps, and I just don't want to run that risk. 1.07 TSE has been a standard since 2002 and it won't change or break shit now.
  • Maximize the player base. A lot of people either don't have or don't want Revolution, and because Classic maps can be played in Revolution but not the other way around I hope it's obvious I prefer Classic.
  • As of writing the netcode of Revolution is inferior to Classic. I know this will be fixed, but since my maps are built to be very co-op accessible I'd hate to ruin a big part of the appeal, combined with all the above options.

He's the guy I keep in my basement making maps for me. I get all the credit and chicks, and he gets a bit of food and water.
To better satisfy everyone, making for both is the best way, like you did for Ir-Kalla Demo.
Actually just opening your classic maps in Rev editor, saving them and send them to the workshop will make a Rev version, so everyone will be satisfied (I'm not saying that for you Discy, but for people who want to play it on Rev)

Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 AM   #224   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

If I'd shit on every not SE3+ parade, then I wouldn't bother porting some of those mappacks to Rev or supporting those Third Encounter mappacks.

My only problem is that gameplay-wise, I'd rather see actual new things. It just happens that whenever I play a really well made SS1 Classic map/mappack, it always ends up with the exact same bosses, which are just so anti-climactic for me. There are only a few maps that use the workaround methods available to create "fake" new enemies; for example, the TTE mappacks, while utilizing new stuff in Rev also use the workaround methods to make some new enemies and even new bosses.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 07-16-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #225   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Like Planet Draak by Devostator (which was sadly never finished)

Old 07-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #226   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakanishu View Post
To better satisfy everyone, making for both is the best way, like you did for Ir-Kalla Demo.
Actually just opening your classic maps in Rev editor, saving them and send them to the workshop will make a Rev version, so everyone will be satisfied (I'm not saying that for you Discy, but for people who want to play it on Rev)
Revolution is by default backward-compatible with Classic maps, so you don't actually have to re-save them. I just uploaded the level as-is to the workshop after testing it, and it worked fine. And yes, I'll also upload the campaign to the Revolution Workshop. A lot of people like the ease-of-use so I'll comply, but the campaign itself won't be changed.

Quote:
My only problem is that gameplay-wise, I'd rather see actual new things. It just happens that whenever I play a really well made SS1 Classic map/mappack, it always ends up with the exact same bosses, which are just so anti-climactic for me. There are only a few maps that use the workaround methods available to create "fake" new enemies; for example, the TTE mappacks, while utilizing new stuff in Rev also use the workaround methods to make some new enemies and even new bosses.
Then you're obviously not my target audience. My goal is to create a traditional campaign with a fresh twist. Long levels, building up to something, tons of secrets, plenty of polish, some exploration and complex enemy scripting. Not that I'm only planning to re-hash the standard boss fights but my powers are limited to the boundaries of the base game and I'm fine with that. I could make a Revolution-exclusive version of the campaign, but I consider the odds of that practically nil at the moment.

Last edited by Discy; 07-16-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #227   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, what I suggested is also within the boundaries of the base game. And I did play your demo and I remember commenting positively on it, so.

As for Revolution re-saving, that's only true for maps made for TFE; those the ones needed to be resaved to work.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #228   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Ah yes, but that's an inherent flaw in TFE, because you need to re-save them in TSE as well for them to work there.

Anyway, you'll just have to weigh in for yourself if the rest of the elements are worth the same boring enemies and bosses. I won't judge you.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #229   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I will judge your work once it's done, however.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #230   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

You can't judge awesomeness, because it is awesome

Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #231   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Come on Solais, custom maps without bosses are boring Who says you can't use bosses in creative ways? I've heard people using the Overlord in DN3D, who was hilariously easy because circle strafe, in such a way that it actually makes him challenging to fight (because architecture that limits the player's movement, thus making him more susceptible to the rocket barrage).

Also, last time I tried to import a TSE map to Rev, I had to relocate all the textures and shit.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #232   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I'm not saying that he shouldn't use bosses in maps. But what about creating new bosses using models and shooters and the like?

Also, I can judge awesomeness as awesome, but I'll have to play it first and see if it's awesome.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #233   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Well someone has never made it to the end of my 'Sub Space Odyssey' map, I put alot of time into crafting a unique final boss that no one ever saw. (and also, the map is exclusive to Rev; I love Rev's new features, so much power)
Old 07-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #234   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

I'm sorry but here's my sad review about your Demo level. I have played it and must says it is not good for me, feels just like a random FE map.

Reasons: 1. Too linear, much oversized Gigantic Rooms & Hallways. There's only 1 way to go Forward.

2. Fighting Major Biomechanids inside Rooms removes somehow his Fight effects from me.
Actual i like the way to how CT uses them, in Outside Areas.

Way too much Gnaars, so you just kill the Spooky/ Horror Atmosphere with this.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #235   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Well that's a shame to hear. But I can't please everybody, your complaints are exactly what I enjoy in the map. Still, thanks for playing it, and I made a thread especially for reviews and feedback on the demo map.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #236   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

nothing's perfect, but this comes close.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 PM   #237   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Well that's a shame to hear. But I can't please everybody, your complaints are exactly what I enjoy in the map. Still, thanks for playing it, and I made a thread especially for reviews and feedback on the demo map.
Dude, your map just got played and reviewed by Gnaarwarian, you should be honored!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #238   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Good map.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #239   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Okay, played it more and i already have some opinion. Here it is:

1. Architecture & level design - AMAZING. If this map was in FE, it would be one of the best maps in the whole game. I like the climbing, it is just awesome feel. Well, there are some cons, for example the pool with the columbs - it would be good if you put some monsters like harpies or flying gnaars to spawn when you are in the middle of climbing. Also you can make these columns to be moving up and down constantly - this will add a piece of adventure feel.

2. Battles - You make pretty good mix from arena battles and casual battles, combined with the good level design. It is not just another "Put-much-monsters-as-you-can" map, there are really hard battles, and in the same time it is not unbeatable. Well, for a demo map is a little bit agressive at the beggining, I prefer the battles to have a gradually increasing difficulty in matters of monsters count and types.

3. Weapons - Because is a demo map it's good not to give all weapons at startup, no matter that there are so much monsters. This will make the battles even more hard.

4. Secrets - Maybe the best part of that demo. Secrets are well hidden and is always pleasure to find one. Especially if it's a secret round two or "There is no round three"

That's from me for now, I rate the map 8/10 Waiting for the final mappack.

Last edited by Serious Sam(BG); 08-31-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #240   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

First off, thank you for the kind words. I'm always happy to hear people enjoying my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
Well, there are some cons, for example the pool with the columbs - it would be good if you put some monsters like harpies or flying gnaars to spawn when you are in the middle of climbing. Also you can make these columns to be moving up and down constantly - this will add a piece of adventure feel.
That would be interesting, but I found it was already hard enough to not fall down without monsters making your life miserable. There were some enemies spawning halfway at one point, but as soon as you see or hear it players would immediately jump down because it's a difficult spot to fight.

Quote:
Well, for a demo map is a little bit agressive at the beggining, I prefer the battles to have a gradually increasing difficulty in matters of monsters count and types.
It's good to hear people notice I take a lot of time to script battles instead of just dropping dozens of monsters in. As for the difficulty in the start, I get that, I really do. The thing is, this level will be in the second-final chapter of the campaign. Basically you'll already have 7 levels finished and 7-8 hours under your belt, so you already have a big arsenal. My options were to either remake the first 50% of the demo's enemy scripting to make it build up or say "screw it" and just leave it as it is. Besides, it's a representation of the campaign so remaking half of the level scripting would make that part moot. Still, I made that choice and I'll take any shit for the bad difficulty curve at the start.

Quote:
4. Secrets - Maybe the best part of that demo. Secrets are well hidden and is always pleasure to find one. Especially if it's a secret round two or "There is no round three"
I always enjoyed secrets a lot in official and custom maps, so I put a lot of effort into making fun and memorable secrets myself. Expect the final campaign release to have 80+ secrets.

Also, I don't know if you realized, but the non-Steam version has a secret guide included in the download, in case you wanna find 'em all.

Quote:
That's from me for now, I rate the map 8/10 Waiting for the final mappack.
Awesome, and again thank you. I hope the full campaign won't disappoint.