Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Default Rethinking my thoughts on Steam

Well, ever since I complained about how steam sucks, I've been having an easier time with it for the following reasons:
:Steam stopped logging me out; I haven't gotten a message telling me my game can't be played yet in a long time.
:Since I went to collage I bought and downloaded games off of steam for pretty cheap prices, even massive games like Divinity Dragon Commander and Injustices: Gods among us which are 15GB and 20GB respectively (I cannot play these ABM computer lags to much).
:I bought the Serious Sam Indie games, and they rock
:Got to play some child hood favorites like Postal 2, but they are not demos.
:Wish some games were on Steam (Impossible Creatures/Paraworld)
Great Deals! Got Castles Crashers for $1.5, which is 90% off! One of the best games I've played on steam.

PS: Although Castle Crashers and Serious Sam Double D have 2.0Ghz CPU requirements, they run GREAT on my 1.0Ghz computer!

Advice: Don't try Buying and running Planetary Annihilation unless you got a solid $50 (edit: it's $30 now) and a computer that can run Crysis 3.

Also, a lot of games on steam are early access, I've never seen this before, but I see how developers can do this on steam,

Give me your thoughts plz
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Rethinking my thoughts on Steam

Steam and similar services (like GoG.com, check them out, you might find some older games there!) are a godsend to us people in Eastern Europe and other undeveloped countries. Before digital distribution being a thing, we were lucky if one of the larger cities in the country had a single or maybe two shops that focused on selling games; and they were always small, inhabiting maybe a corner, selling a very limited amount of games, for unthinkable large prices. 80% of all the games were never available, so no wonder piracy in these regions thrive, not to mention, being semi-legal, because even the governments realize that this is the only way.

Now with Steam and GoG.com and similar services, we are finally able to legally get our games, with affordable prices on sales, and with very great support, both technical and social. Steam even got the Workshop, that promotes modding!

Digital distribution also enabled the Indie Boom, and now anyone (good and unfortunately bad too) can make their dream games and put them out digitally for the world to see. By all the major flaws of both the gaming industry and gaming culture, we can still say that we live in at least a silver age of gaming, hopefully heading for the golden age.

Not to mention that now you'll be also able to buy music, films and tv series on Steam too as I heard. With that, even countries like mine, where we have no Netflix, where 90% of the TV series never get aired and if they do, they have shitty dubbing, because everything is dubbed, even we might be able to get proper cinematic and/or TV programming finally (besides HBO GO).

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 08-18-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Agreed, and yeah TV programming here bites as well.

I own about 16 games in my profile, I got them all in the 4 months I was at collage, I also bought a $100 premium account on minecraft, ouch.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What is a premium account on Minecraft and why does it cost more than a video card??? O_o

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Well, a premium server account, this what I got

I would have spent $150, but one of the 2 owners gave me a discount

Was cool for a while, but ouch that was a lot of money I spent, I was the highest rank at the time, and only a handful of other players were kings (the $150 rank).

You get powers and stuff, I even built my own PVP arena and had the owner add it to the list!

But now that I don't have internet I can't really do much about it.

EDIT: It would seem the server went offline, for now. But I hope it's back up when I get my new computer.
http://minecraft-server-list.com/server/197646/
Old 08-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

nothing else anyone wants to say?