Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #4831   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: What are you playing?

Got my PS4 today, started playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Holy shit the story is so good! (pls no spoilers guise)

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #4832   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Regular or Pro?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #4833   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Do yourself a favor and get Yakuza 0 when you finish. It is the holy grail of console exclusives.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #4834   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Silver or gold ?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #4835   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
Regular or Pro?
Pro, since I have a 4k display.

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #4836   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Here's my list of PS4 exclusive games to play (sorted by how much I like them, descending):

Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn (which you're already playing)
Nioh
The Last Guardian
Killzone Shadow Fall

I also heard the Yakuza games are great and Gravity Rush 2 is pretty good. Then there's upcoming games like The Last of Us Part II and God of War and the PS4/XBone console exclusives like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edit: I don't know if you have a PS3, but there's also the PS3 remasters like God of War 3 and The Last of Us that you might find interesting. Also, since you have a 4k display how about some 4k screenshot eyecandy?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 07-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #4837   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I don't know if it's rendering in real 4k, but here's some screenshots I took from my PS4:

http://imgur.com/a/hWEDx

Old 07-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #4838   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Heh, trust me, it's not really 4k. To play at true 4k you'd need a €1000 computer, so there's no way in hell a €400 console can match that. You can find more detailed editorials if you search for them, but the '4k' consoles basically run the game at probably 1080p or a bit higher internally and use a grid and edge detect algorithm to fill out the image. People keep saying Horizon Zero Dawn at 4k on a PS4 Pro is the best thing ever, but in stationary images it looks mostly blurry except the 2D HUD elements. Compare your screenshots to one of mine, I think mine look crisper at the game's native resolution and I don't really think Sony and Microsoft should really push to increase resolution if all they do is upscale with some fancy tricks.

Anyway, I don't mean to shit on you, I just wanted to put this out there. If you think it's worth the money then all the power to you. In the end it's about the games and Horizon is one of the best games I've played in a while.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #4839   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

To be fair, my old 970 was able to render at 60fps 4k in GTA 5. So it's not super expensive. PS4 Pro is 388 euro I believe though I didn't buy a PS4 Pro for the 4k in particular though. More because it's the latest in the PS4 series, figured I'd better get that than the "older" one.

I think it renders at 1440p maybe? Either way it does look very good on a 4k TV.

Last edited by Scratch; 07-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #4840   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

It varies on the game, but more graphically intensive games render at something like 2k and upscale it to 4k. 1440p upscaled would be pretty blurry.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #4841   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Microsoft is claiming that the Xbox One X will achieve all first party titles (all two of them ) at native 4k resolution at 60fps. Then it will be up to third party developers if they want to achieve the same benchmark or if they will use industry techniques such as dynamic resolutions, upscaling, etc etc. Seems like pretty lofty goals, but if the benchmark criteria is accurate, then it might not be too far off. The GPU for the XOX performs 6 TFlops versus the PS4 Pro 4.2 TFlops. But Microsoft has done a pretty shitty job at marketing just how powerful the console is for a (relatively) cheap price.

Anyway, I recently finished Ori and the Blind Forest. Gotta say, it definitely lived up to my hype and is one of the better platformers I have played. The music was definitely the highlight for me, but the visuals, gameplay, and storyline were also stellar. A few plot points were poorly explained, but this may be my unfamiliarity with "traditional" Japanese mythos/culture.

Currently playing Tales from the Borderlands and am loving it so far. Chris Hardwick and Patrick Warburton? Amazing! The musical scenes near the beginning of each episode is also brilliant and the jokes are always on point. Telltale has yet to disappoint me and they've always created wonderful stories. My only complaint is that each new title feels less like a "game" and more like an "interactive story." I mean, this was stated back when TWD:S1 first came out, but it's only getting worse. At least in the TWD there was quite a bit of walking around, picking up items, and talking to random characters. With this game, it is pretty much 100% dialogue selection and QTE's. But I'm not too upset because the story is just that great.

Trying to decide what to play next... I think I may finally commit to The Witcher 3. It's been a long time coming and figure it is finally due. I just know I'm about ready to jump off into a 100+ hour commitment.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #4842   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

It's not blurry actually, but you can see the pixels. It scales it up the proper way.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #4843   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Started playing The Cat Lady since I was hoping that it would fill the void left by the cancellation of the original Remothered.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #4844   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I just finished Prey after little over 41 hours. What an incredible ride, even when I thought I had the story figured out through the carefully doled out hints and fragments the revelation at the very end still came as a surprise. And looking back it makes a lot of sense as well, I wish I could experience it for the first time all over again. I don't think Chris Avellone gets as much praise as he deserves.

That said, the game itself is also solid. The gameplay, choices, sound and music (it was composed by Mick Gordon) and general atmosphere and aesthetics are all great. The game is pretty long for a first person shooter, but none of the side missions felt like padding, it wasn't repetitive and everything contributed to the overall experience. I did encounter some bugs near the end (two freezes, two missions glitching out until a reload and a side mission that wouldn't start at all) but it didn't mar my overall experience. If you have any love for any of the games that it's inspired by (BioShock, Half-Life, System Shock 2, Dead Space) you'll have a blast.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #4845   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Well, after all these months, I've finally taken the plunge into the Witcher 3. I'm only just barely out of the "tutorial" section of the intro, so these are pretty rough first impressions. In a nutshell, as a big Elder Scrolls fan, there are some nuances that are going to take some getting used to.
  • Sooo many damn "help boxes" to start the game. I almost wish I had disabled them, but then I probably wouldn't have known what the hell I'm doing. But it feels like just about every other step I take I get bombarded with a help box. I'm just waiting until I progress far enough where these won't be a hindrance. Since right now it is really taking away the immersion for the game.
  • The inventory UI feels much more "clunky" than Skyrim. There's a visible delay from when you first hover over an item before you see what it's attributes are. I feel like I'm also being bombarded with information.
  • The controls almost feel too responsive, that he is almost running on steroids. But ironically, you have to completely stop moving before being able to climb a ladder.
  • I've only fought in one "intro" combat with ghouls so far, but it definitely feels very fluid and dynamic. Reminded me a bit of Zelda, which is refreshing.
  • The cinematography and voice acting is some of the best I've seen in an RPG, so now I understand the high praise it has received.
  • Damn those graphics are gorgeous.

Anyway... I know a lot of the "complaints" I've provided will probably be lessened as I get deeper into the game. Just feels drastically different from Skyrim, when I was expecting more similarities.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #4846   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Just got to 'Mexico' in Red Dead Redemption.
Man, I am LOVING this game! (even having to use a controller).
Playing in bed, while I am laid up some days, or at night before I go to sleep (although I cant hear anything because I cant get a darn wireless, or even a wired, headset to work. No, I am not going to buy a ps3 headset for 1 game, where only 4 play sessions and I am already in the very small lower part of the map).
The only thing I do NOT like are the mini-games (although I LOVE that they have them in the game, it is SO frustrating trying to play them with a controll scheme you have never played with before). I can not win 1 single mini-game to save my life. In Horseshoes I get 2 perfect swings, and a perfect throw (just a hair outside the middle line, and I mean a sliver, a pixel), and the horseshoe ends up either in the very back of the box, over the box, or right in front of the box. Then, I will make a bad throw, with stopping the swing about halfway from mid to top, or low to mid, and it lands beter than the 'perfect' throw. I think its an rng system they are using, and it is very frustrating. I want to be able to open all of the outfits (yes, I like to play dress up, lol), but almost every one needs to win a round of horseshoes, or 21, or dice, or 5-finger fillet, or the other few mini games I forgot. I think I am going to have to check out a cheat guide to beat them, I want the outfits so badly, lol. But, I like the wanted posters a lot better, heh.
Anyway, SO great that they have so many minigame type distractions, that are relevent to the time period, and probably most people are able to do them, just not me. It really fills out the game, and makes it so much more immersive (see Mafia 3? THATS how you make an open world game feel 'lived in', and not just a bunch of people walking around with the same 3 sound bytes over and over and over. Sorry, off topic).

Now, there are 2 'Must Have' games for me:
Metro Exodus (PC)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)

The game really is that good, that I am willing to shell out (IF I have the money that is) for RDR 2, sight unseen (or what little we have seen thus far).

If you havent played it, it is SO worth playing.
Even if you have to borrow a PS from your friend, like I did.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #4847   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Oh yeah good game. I plan to start fresh again...but I still want on PC ��

I was too scared to go up mountain because of Bear sneak attack me cause me jump so hard I swear my heart crack somewhere...
Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #4848   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Glad to hear you're having a great time in RDR despite the controller. What do you think of the story so far?

Also keep in mind that RDR2 will release for Xbox One and PS4 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
Metro Exodus (PC)
Yes! I love Metro 2033 and Last Light, and I'm hyped for Exodus.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #4849   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Without having played (a lot of) RDR1, I wonder if RDR2 would require that you have played RDR1.. thoughts?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #4850   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I dunno man, the ending of RDR is pretty closed, both in character development and theme. There's not really a proper opening to continue the story. It also feels they're just using the Redemption name to kickstart the hype, Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption are unrelated story-wise, and it would have made sense to use another R word for the next game because it's unlikely to have anything to do with Redemption.

So what could it have been called? Red Dead Rebel? Red Dead Regression? Red Dead Revolution? Red Dead Radical?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #4851   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Fair enough, GTA 4 and GTA 5 also don't have much in common.

Also, Destiny 2 open beta started today on consoles so I decided to give it a whirl.. only to discover that to play the actual game, you need to have PS Plus. At least you can play through the intro thing which is um.. okay I guess? Very linear and boring, nothing really stood out in there like "woah this is great". Disappointing.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #4852   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
I dunno man, the ending of RDR is pretty closed, both in character development and theme. There's not really a proper opening to continue the story. It also feels they're just using the Redemption name to kickstart the hype, Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption are unrelated story-wise, and it would have made sense to use another R word for the next game because it's unlikely to have anything to do with Redemption.

So what could it have been called? Red Dead Rebel? Red Dead Regression? Red Dead Revolution? Red Dead Radical?
1. Red Dead Retribution sounds badass

2. A lot of people think that RDR2 is going to be a prequel and I'm inclined on believing them.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #4853   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Glad to hear you're having a great time in RDR despite the controller. What do you think of the story so far?

Also keep in mind that RDR2 will release for Xbox One and PS4 only.

Yes! I love Metro 2033 and Last Light, and I'm hyped for Exodus.
Not true.
It will release for pc also, but later if I remember correctly.
They said it at E3 2017, which just happened.
I think I posted about it in the E3 2017 thread (was it e3 that just got over, during the steam 'summer sale' ? Or was it another conference. On tablet, and so tired, will search later).

So, yeah, very much want. Must have.

And yes, I am having a blast with rdr. I thought mexico part was near ending, but it seems thats not even close to being true. I saw when in a menu, it said 30 or 39% done (yes, I need glasses, even for short range now, sigh. Old fook. :p).
I just unlocked safecracking, another minigame that is true to the world, and at least this one is done well, so I could do it.
I also unlocked Liars Dice, lost the 1st one, won the 2nd (no spoilers, but I had to win for a quest). I hope they arent going to start making quests even more dependent on these games, as those 2 are the only ones I was able to do, finish, win, pick a name for it, heh.

As for the story, it is pretty fragmented, and has a bunch of typical western movie tropes, all put together to make the 'western feel'.

I dont know if I mentioned it, but I like the whole 'good guy hero type' or 'bad guy steal and kill' modes in the game (I think star wars game did this also, after jedi training, you could become a jedi or a sith.). Another very nice addition to making the game more immersive, as things werent always black or white back then, it was a lawless land, and people seemed to be on both sides of the law back then, and the honor or fame, or both, system is well done.

You can tell I played today, as I hurt myself just walking around a corner at the grocery store, and ended up crying like a freakin baby in the store and to the truck because of it. Sigh. Serious cronic bad pain really bites the big one. It is certainly having a huge negative affect on me, and on my relationships with other people.

Anyway, yes, I am enjoying the game immensely, and told my buddy who brought it up to me, a very big thank you (yours will be coming soon Discy, but I havent installed it yet. I am just now getting to the computer more and more, except for days like the almost whole last week). Know I am thinking about it, and thanking you, even thouh I havent gotten to it yet.

So, thats my gaming story for the day/night.
Peace.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #4854   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Not true.
It will release for pc also, but later if I remember correctly.
They said it at E3 2017, which just happened.
I think I posted about it in the E3 2017 thread (was it e3 that just got over, during the steam 'summer sale' ? Or was it another conference. On tablet, and so tired, will search later).
Well, if you find it let me know. The Wikipedia page still reads PS4 and Xbox One only, so I'm curious to see how this plays out. Obviously I'd prefer playing it on PC, but if not I'm all set with my PS4.

Quote:
And yes, I am having a blast with rdr. I thought mexico part was near ending, but it seems thats not even close to being true. I saw when in a menu, it said 30 or 39% done (yes, I need glasses, even for short range now, sigh. Old fook. :p).
I just unlocked safecracking, another minigame that is true to the world, and at least this one is done well, so I could do it.
I also unlocked Liars Dice, lost the 1st one, won the 2nd (no spoilers, but I had to win for a quest). I hope they arent going to start making quests even more dependent on these games, as those 2 are the only ones I was able to do, finish, win, pick a name for it, heh.
I don't think a lot of quests require playing minigames. As far as I know Liar's Dice and poker (in Mexico) are the only ones. A little tip if you're trophy hunting, there's a trophy for winning big in poker, and that Mexico quest requires you to win so when you put in the maximum amount of money you'll be sure to get it.

Quote:
I dont know if I mentioned it, but I like the whole 'good guy hero type' or 'bad guy steal and kill' modes in the game (I think star wars game did this also, after jedi training, you could become a jedi or a sith.). Another very nice addition to making the game more immersive, as things werent always black or white back then, it was a lawless land, and people seemed to be on both sides of the law back then, and the honor or fame, or both, system is well done.
It's a pretty realistic portrayal of humans in general. The good guys can be arseholes and the bad guys can be honorable. The whole story of RDR is about John Marston being one of the bad guys forced to work for the government. He can be honorable despite his big mouth and gruff.

Quote:
You can tell I played today, as I hurt myself just walking around a corner at the grocery store, and ended up crying like a freakin baby in the store and to the truck because of it. Sigh. Serious cronic bad pain really bites the big one. It is certainly having a huge negative affect on me, and on my relationships with other people.
I'm sorry to hear that, but you shouldn't feel bad about it. There's only so much a human being can take being in pain a lot. I hope you'll pull through this, man.

Quote:
Anyway, yes, I am enjoying the game immensely, and told my buddy who brought it up to me, a very big thank you (yours will be coming soon Discy, but I havent installed it yet. I am just now getting to the computer more and more, except for days like the almost whole last week). Know I am thinking about it, and thanking you, even thouh I havent gotten to it yet.
I don't gift games thinking it has to be played soon. Take your time, I know you appreciate it.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #4855   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Yeah, you were right, it is not confirmed (yet).
But, there was a 'leak' about it, that I thought was saying it actually found out that it was positively releasing on pc, but it was just a temp time window when Rockstar was on Denuvo, and someone saw that RS was using Denuvo about the same time RDR2 is to be released.

So, not fact.
But, after that 'leak', they said they would announce something 'soon'.
So, yeah, I really hope its RDR2 on PC, even Win10 would be acceptable.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #4856   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Also, Destiny 2 open beta started today on consoles so I decided to give it a whirl.. only to discover that to play the actual game, you need to have PS Plus. At least you can play through the intro thing which is um.. okay I guess? Very linear and boring, nothing really stood out in there like "woah this is great". Disappointing.
You also needed PS Plus for a bunch of missions in the first game. I got it bundled with my PS4 but I refuse to pay for something like PS+/Xbox Live so I played through single player and it was all right. The game had tremendous potential. The open world aspect was great and the flying jet ski was a lot of fun. The problem was missions like go stand in this spot for 30 seconds, which were given repeatedly. I would have checked out the second one but if it's not even remotely playable without paid online, then it doesn't seem worth it.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #4857   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Was it available for pc also?
I remember my buddy and I wanted to get it before it shipped, but they said it was not really coop, more mp map coop.
But, I thought it was out on pc also?

Anyway, thanks Scratch for for the micro review.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #4858   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Destiny 2 will be on PC too, yeah. Might be a much better experience than PS4.

Also, I was expecting at least some kind of open world situation in this public beta on PS4 but there was none. Also disappointing, since imo that's one of the major selling points of the game. *shrug*

Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #4859   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I've been playing a lot of Goldeneye Source lately. It's fun but it makes me wish someone would remake the single player. No, that shitty Wii game does not count.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:21 AM   #4860   Add To Ignore List  

HLDM and Sven Coop lately.