Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Default What video game level/chapter felt like it went on too long?

So last night I was thinking of this, and 2 levels come to my mind right away:

The (high security) prison level from Wolfenstein the New Order (The one where your limited to your knife for almost the whole level)

And the WHOLE underwater chapter from Alice: Madness Returns.

I, really, REALLY did not like the prison level. First off 80% of the level was stealth based with only your knife. I died alot too and it just felt like it was not going to end ever. And when you do get guns prepare to get overwhelmed by too many enemies. Worst level in an otherwise amazing game.

When I say the underwater chapter, I'm referring the parts AFTER the minigame section, not the arctic part at the start. I swear the amount of padding in this part of the game is absurd (you have to do "tasks" for people which requires you going around alot of the same areas, making this even longer to beat; this is NOT an open world game), THANK GOD when I finished it was over. It will take you about 50% longer to beat this part of the game then any other.
That, and this part also has some of the most obnoxious enemies too, enemies who are invulnerable a large potion of the time and require you to parry or deflect their shots.

I like a decently lengthy level, but unless it's the final level, this is pushing it too far.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: What video game level/chapter felt like it went on too long?

I felt like Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was dragging its heels a lot. The opening was good and the end-game and final boss were awesome, but everything in between felt like too little sandwich spread smeared over too much bread. So yeah..
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Russia View Post
So last night I was thinking of this, and 2 levels come to my mind right away:

The (high security) prison level from Wolfenstein the New Order (The one where your limited to your knife for almost the whole level)

And the WHOLE underwater chapter from Alice: Madness Returns.

I, really, REALLY did not like the prison level. First off 80% of the level was stealth based with only your knife. I died alot too and it just felt like it was not going to end ever. And when you do get guns prepare to get overwhelmed by too many enemies. Worst level in an otherwise amazing game.
I never had an issue with anything in W:TNO... But the DLC, W:The Old Blood... woweee... The first hour or more of gameplay is stealthily doing the *SAME* thing in the *SAME* areas multiple times. There's literally no difference to any of the sections. It was some of the worst level design in a modern game, the 2nd half of the DLC was quite good though.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was pretty uninspired for the second half of the game, I thought. Lost a lot of the charm of the first game... new areas didn't seem all that awesome, great or unique.

Pretty much any game does the cliche, "ok, we're almost there! Just one last thing... oh wait.. the doorway is disabled.. we have to spend the next hour going around it, now..." has given up on story. There's nothing worse than your "goal post" moving away from you artificially every time you get close to it. The first FEAR game did this endlessly.

I can't think of any other examples that really wasted my time. Sometimes the situation is worse if you have to restart / load a save and do an area or boss fight over multiple times. That is extremely draining
Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Oh wow I didn't even have to ctrl+F for "water", it was right there in the OP Every single water level in every single game.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
I felt like Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was dragging its heels a lot. The opening was good and the end-game and final boss were awesome, but everything in between felt like too little sandwich spread smeared over too much bread. So yeah..
I think we can both agree that Sawtooth Calderon was one huge padding section that was completely unnecessary, story and gameplay wise. (Why do he have to go over THERE to get past raised gate, I'm pretty sure someone has some good explosions somewhere else)

I think the game would have made more sense here if it sent us back to Tiny Tina's place to get more bombs then go to yet-another bandit map :/
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Every single Flood level in the Halo series.