Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #61   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Default Re: What are you playing?

Well... I guess you can print out screenshots and beat them silly with the keyboard?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #62   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_Vasile View Post
The funny part is... Although I played very few games on a console (God of War games / Shadow of the Colossus on a friends' ps2) and won't actually get a console any time soon, I'm actually *not so secretly* curious about how multiplayer FPS games feel on a console, you know... with a controller and all. It just seems so unnatural to me that it has some sort of forbidden fruit effect.
If you picked one up right now and played an FPS, it would probably feel awful to you at first. It did to me back when I first played the original Halo. That's pretty much the whole root of PC "anti-gamepad" elitism. But the fact is if you spend a bit of time playing, you'll get used to it like any other type of controller. Yeah it's harder to get the pinpoint accuracy you can with a mouse, but I've been playing FPSes on consoles since the original Xbox and it's second nature to me now. I can get headshots on PC with keyboard and mouse, and I can get headshots on console with a gamepad.

But as Brute pointed out, there are certain types of games that are just made for gamepads.

Last edited by viper45; 05-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #63   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Vasile, I'll agree on Witcher 2 being hard.

Holeeee shit, first game I've played in AGES where I've died dozens of times in the initial fights. In the freaking supposed-to-be TUTORIAL. On normal difficulty. It really hurts my geek ego to fail so much, when otherwise I'd happily crank the difficulty up to maximum in any game.

And how the hell are you supposed to get past the dragon part where you're supposed to carry Foltest? The thing just claws me (or Foltest ) off the bridge in seconds. Even if I try to walk on the sides in the openings, it just catches me. I'm stuck there.

And is there any way to lock the camera on a single opponent while fighting? I always get into situations where I'm trying to hurt one guy I've stunned, and Geralt for some reason decides to suddenly turn and slash the other guy instead and get his balls cut off.

3rd thing, Witcher 2 is the most demanding PC game out there at the moment, hands down. First game yet that I'm forced to run in 720p on mostly low settings save for high textures and some depth of field/bloom effects.

Last edited by Finzy; 05-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #64   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well, I turned off Hard QTE's in the 'not in game options' panel, and got past that dragon rather easily.

Also, if you are using a mouse, try keeping the mouse on the opponent you want to attack. It is very hard to do, but I can do it most of the time. It is kind of like trying to 'search' items when there are multiple items to be searched stacked on and around each other. You just have to use the mouse, and not the movement keys.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #65   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Alright...gonna be very hard to get out of that habit though, since I used to do exactly that in Assassin's Creed I'll check those game options then...
Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #66   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

The QTEs annoy the heck out of me, but at the same time I don't want to lower the QTE difficulty. I guess they aren't that bad since they follow a certain pattern usually...

Actually the worst parts are the armwrestling minigames, otherwise it's OK.

The combat does get easier as you get better gear and you do get used to it in time.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #67   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Mass Effect 2. Finally imported a save from 1, so I'm getting a thrill out of having all the stuff the way I want it. Still amazing every time I play it. Posted some pics in the pic thread, just 'cause.

Last edited by Brute; 06-02-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #68   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_Vasile View Post
The Witcher 2... It's surprisingly so much much much better after you turn off the damned bloom and blur effects!

Really ? Thanks for the info. Mine PC run fairly poor on Witcher 1 and Witcher 2

Me must upgrade PC....
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #69   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

I meant it looks much better, dunno what impact it has on FPS. I just don't like bloom and blur .
Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #70   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I think those are just visual effects. I tried turning them off myself, but only got a gain of about 1-2 fps in heavy cutscenes, so I kept them enabled (I actually LOVE cinematic depth of field ).

Lowering the resolution makes the biggest difference on a low end system, I think. On 1920x1080 I couldn't run the game well even on the lowest settings, but when I switched to 1280x720 I could even increase the LOD quality to "near" and use medium decals and high textures with no texture downscaling, and bloom and depth of field and all that.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #71   Add To Ignore List  

I just finished playing Colosseum level in Painkiller BOOH.

Everything was fine until the end battle. I am in the center of the arena, and then around 70 enemies spawn from all directions and then the boss appears. He is only 4 m high. A complete waste of arena space.

And then it got frustrating. He is invincible, but I already killed a couple of those earlier. What should I do ? I got stuck. There are only some burning "T"'s in the middle of the arena.

After reading the walktrouhg it appears I need to shot the fire and turn it off and then the "boss" will be vulnerable.

This makes total sense
Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #72   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Painkiller is an arcade shooter, approach it as such. Shooting out the fires was the first thing I tried in that battle.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #73   Add To Ignore List  

I was trying to shot down the "T"'s , it never crossed my mind I have to turn of the fire.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #74   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Funny that I defeat the big boss in BOOH FIRST TIME without stuck I'm lucky I guess

I think play 4th time already dead bore for me move on
Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #75   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I'm playing the original MDK - again.

Man, the game is still awesome. Visuals (even if they're pixely and blocky...ugh) still look awesome. Nice music, nice everything. Too bad it's rather short. But damn, if you play it on the hardest, time limit for stopping minecrawlers is shorter, and you have to act fast, or watch minecrawler mow down the city... I enjoy the sequel too a lot. I still hope for MDK 3.
My favorite parts in MDK 1 are the bombing runs. BOMBS AWAY! And when i have the liberty to snipe enemies without too much trouble. Of course, items are always handy.

Last edited by Purple Psycho Sandwich; 06-04-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #76   Add To Ignore List  

After more than a month I have finally forced myself to finish Painkiller BOOH.
I wasn't really impressed with the original either, but this expansion really s*cks. Same enemy design, same level design and the "boss" encounters were pretty annoying:

The final boss: you need to stay in a circle and let him hit you, than some golem appears that needs to hit him, so he becomes vulnerable and then you kill him with 8-10 rockets (on hard difficulty). S*cks !
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #77   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

The level design of both Painkiller and BooH is stunning. What annoyed me about the expansion is the difficulty, getting some of the tarot cards is brutal.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #78   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
The level design of both Painkiller and BooH is stunning. What annoyed me about the expansion is the difficulty, getting some of the tarot cards is brutal.
They're plenty hard enough in the first one, as well.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #79   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I really liked BooH, only bad thing was that it's so short.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #80   Add To Ignore List  

I've been playing Diablo 2 and Torchlight recently. Been in an ARPG/loot kind of mood I guess.

I think I'm going to do another run through Mass Effect 1 and 2 soon. I'm beginning to realize Mass Effect is one of those games I just can't go very long without replaying again. Bioware really hit something special with those games.

Last edited by viper45; 06-13-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #81   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
I think I'm going to do another run through Mass Effect 1 and 2 soon. I'm beginning to realize Mass Effect is one of those games I just can't go very long without replaying again. Bioware really hit something special with those games.

I haven't gotten much free time for gaming lately (and most free time I do have is spent of creative projects), but I have been getting through my 4th (first imported) ME2 game, and played through the first 7 levels of Ninja Gaiden II on Mentor difficulty. I love that airship level.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #82   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Final Fantasy VII
Minecraft (again)
Metal Slug Anthology
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #83   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

I really want there to be a thread in the Game Talk section that contains absolutely 0 comments or references, but I already know that's too much to ask for.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #84   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
I've been playing Diablo 2
How to run it with Windows 7?

I am started playing WolfTeam Turkey.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #85   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I am not playing right now, but later tonight I will be playing Alice: Madness Returns
Cant wait!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #86   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target-UnPe View Post
How to run it with Windows 7?
I don't know, I'm still using Windows XP.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #87   Add To Ignore List  

Are you playing Lord Of Destruction expansion pack with Blizzard patch v1.13?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #88   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

DANGER: WALL OF POST AHEAD!

I finished The Witcher 2 last night.

It was shorter than I expected, but had a very great story and presentation. The game actually felt like reading a Witcher book, there were lots of more references to the books than in Witcher 1, and in overall it felt like watching a professional cinematic movie - especially with cinematic depth of field enabled in cutscenes, some scenes felt so authentic that they could have been taken from an animated movie. Really awesome. Soundtrack was pretty epic as well, although I missed more Witcher 1-style tracks sometimes.

Now, the bad stuffs. While I generally enjoyed the gameplay, especially standard combat and the wide variety of options you had (no longer just clicking like in W1, but doing all the actions yourself), there were lots of things that could've been improved. Difficulty generally was very rollercoaster-like, sometimes you'd come across very easy enemies you can defeat without any planning or potions, other times you'll be spending a dozen reloads figuring out how to kill a certain boss. I did like the fact that the game was more difficult than most RPGs out there, but particularly in the beginning of the game there could have been more tutorials and stuff to show how to fight. It's not much fun learning it the hard way by dying a thousand times.

Boss fights could have been better. Yeah they were nicely done and very dynamic, but I did not beat a SINGLE boss without dying at least a couple of times first (okay maybe except that tortoise monster kinda thing and some others ). That's because every major boss fight is designed around some specific "jig" that you can pull off, or super precise timing. The first time you fight a boss, you generally have no idea what kind of attacks it's gonna use or so on, and you'll end up wtfpwned till you have reloaded the game enough times to know how to dodge an attack and so on. It's rewarding to finally pull it off yes, but it's not about playing better, but just memorising the attacks and learning the style with which to kill them. Every time you fight, you're gonna be using pretty much the same moves to kill them, by memory.

For instance, against one of the last bosses - I'm not spoiling it, just describing how it went - I simply kept attacking with the "strong" style and immediately recoiled when it struck back. Right click, dodge, right click, dodge, right click, dodge, that's all I did the entire fight, with pixel perfect precision - while resetting the Quen damage shield whenever things calmed down for a moment. Also, I would not have made it so easily at all if I hadn't drank lots of buff potions before the fight and oiled my swords. Until I did that, I only kept dying. It'd be nice if the game somehow warned you before you enter a big ultra-epic fight that it'd be a good time to drink potions, because you usually end up reloading the game and then stocking up on potions just cause you forgot to drink em beforehand. Another thing that bugged me about bosses that most special effects like poisons and signs any other than Quen were almost always ineffective - it didn't really matter if your character was more mage-focused or a swordfighter, you couldn't take much advantage of your skills anyway.

QTEs (Quick Time Events) were also annoying as hell sometimes, because you have to memorise them. You can do extremely well against a boss, then get insta-killed because you didn't press spacebar in time during a cutscene to jump off its tail or something. There's no skill about it, other than mashing the right button quickly enough, and if you mis-time it, then it's buh-bye.

Group finisher moves, once I finally unlocked them, were also a let down. You wait for a magical "adrenaline" bar to fill, then press X to instakill anyone in range in a cutscene (except against monsters it only works on 1 apparently). Looks cool, but has no skill involved.

Fist fights were disappointing. They were just another (very easy) button mashing game. I easily beat every fist fight in the game and never lost - you just press W, A, S and D when they flash on the screen, nothing else. Looks cool, but no real skill, again.

Arm wrestling was ok, or at least passable, though it was pretty simple as well. Drag the mouse to the opponent's corner and prevent him from doing the same.

Dice poker I didn't try much, but I seemed to win easily without having much clue about the game.

The game was also pretty buggy in places. I often had to reload after some cutscenes or fights because the game wouldn't let me sheathe my sword for whatever reason, and in one major boss fight my controls locked completely so that I couldn't move and got killed. In other cases just one of my controls, be it movement, throwing a bomb, or attacking, wouldn't work. Some cutscenes didn't always trigger either, or triggered wrongly. One time I was sneaking through an army encampment and the next thing I know, I had turned into some NPC standing still, and got a "game over" screen without knowing what happened. Thankfully I ran into no game-breaking quest bugs though, and the game only crashed once for me.

Final verdict: better gameplay in SOME areas than Witcher 1, and better story as well, but has lots of flaws too. May need a few more patches to really "shine", just like the original. Maybe they'll release some kind of "Enhanced Edition" for this game as well. One of the best RPGs I've played lately still though.

Last edited by Finzy; 06-16-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #89   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I'm playing MDK 2 again. Or at least, finishing it. Again.

Level 7 bugs me. There's 2 areas with bouncing spheres you need to shoot in your sniper mode. First part with those is somewhat hard, but second has spheres bouncing all over the place (ok, 2 of them actually, but still, they're so random)! And it's pretty much dumb luck shooting them in sniper mode. Could take you dozen minutes...or less than a minute.

Bioware really could've done something about those areas.

And now, finishing (or not, if I decide to give up) the last level as Doctor. Ugh...hardest out of three characters to choose and beat Zizzy Balooba. He's slower than both of them, barely jumps...and has low health (it's pain avoiding Zizzy's attacks. Especially the magic walls he makes). Still figuring out the puzzle inside Zizzy. I know I have to use some gadgets, but the rest...I have no idea fully figuring it out.

Game's quite good otherwise. Could've been longer, but it's slightly longer than original MDK.

250% Pure Evil Purple (Psycho) Sandwich.

Thank you very ****ing much.

Last edited by Purple Psycho Sandwich; 06-17-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #90   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

I'm considering playing Gorky 17 again. I think it's one of my favorite turn based games... Maybe second after Jagged Alliance 2, although I never did finish that. I might have to replay it as well.