Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition

I just logged in on Steam and noticed there's a remaster of Bulletstorm for pre-order. The store page description is wonderfully discombobulating without any actual info about what's new:

Quote:
Step into the boots of Grayson Hunt after a crash landing on an abandoned resort planet forces him to make a hard choice: survival or revenge. An exiled member of the elite assassin group Dead Echo, Grayson’s blind desire for vengeance finds his crew stranded on Stygia where he can finally confront the commander behind his betrayal—or get his team off the planet alive.

Battle your way through throngs of Stygia’s mutated inhabitants, performing masterful kills throughout the single-player campaign—or one of 30 competitive score-challenge or 12 co-operative multiplayer maps—using Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition’s unique “Skillshot” system that rewards you for executing the most creative and deadly kills imaginable.

Bulletstorm: Full Clip edition is the definitive Bulletstorm experience that includes all existing Bulletstorm add-ons, plus brand-new content exclusive to Full Clip!
We know about Bulletstorm. What the fuck is actually new in this version to justify a €46 price tag for a game I already bought for €5 four years ago? Well, the internet says it will include all previously-released content, a new "Overkill Campaign Mode" which will feature and unrestricted arsenal of weapons, six new levels for Echo Mode, plus updated visuals and remastered audio effects. What does all previously-released content even mean? I remember it having some pre-order DLC, but that's hardly a selling point for a new version. And "updated visuals and remastered audio effects" also sounds sketchy in today's age of shitty quality remasters. Though I guess remaster might be a stretch of the imagination in this case anyway.

So in short, to me it feels like another shitty Gearbox cash-grab, the price tag never justifies the new content for a six-year-old game, especially with the marginal amount of new content it seems to have. Hell, Gearbox removed Bulletstorm from the Steam store to force us to buy this one. Also it has DLC to play the game as Duke Nukem instead of Greyson Hunt. That actually sounds pretty cool, but it's a pre-order bonus and you can't seem to get it separately at present. Way to disrespect your target audience.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Bulletstorm and it should have gotten waaay more attention that it got the first time, but I really dislike Gearbox' shitty business practices lately.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Default Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition

What it really comes down to is that they are re-releasing Bulletstorm for the current gen consoles with the advertised "enhancements" you listed above. Of course, they figure out they are going to sell on current gen consoles, they might as well try to cash grab it on PC as well. Even though there has been a much more affordable version for years. This has been going on for awhile since the newest consoles came out. Deadpool is another example.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind publishers re-releasing overlooked gems to a newer generation of consoles (and PC while they're at it), but usually these 'remasters' are actually shittier than the original (see Skyrim and BioShock). To me this game is inferior in the sense that it's fully priced like a new triple A game while it's a previous generation game with some spit-polish. Instead of fixing up the PC version Gearbox removed it from Steam altogether and forces us to (re)buy it for full price (it's common practice to give those who have the original a discount). Hell, the Steam store page is incredibly puzzling about what's actually improved which is a big tell.

Bulletstorm deserves the spotlight for being funny, stylish and awesome, but Gearbox is going about this in a terrible way.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind publishers re-releasing overlooked gems to a newer generation of consoles (and PC while they're at it), but usually these 'remasters' are actually shittier than the original (see Skyrim and BioShock). To me this game is inferior in the sense that it's fully priced like a new triple A game while it's a previous generation game with some spit-polish. Instead of fixing up the PC version Gearbox removed it from Steam altogether and forces us to (re)buy it for full price (it's common practice to give those who have the original a discount). Hell, the Steam store page is incredibly puzzling about what's actually improved which is a big tell.

Bulletstorm deserves the spotlight for being funny, stylish and awesome, but Gearbox is going about this in a terrible way.
This is a very specific case. This remaster is being released by a different publisher. Why would Gearbox give you a discount if you previously bought the game from EA ? Not to mention the IP and the developer People Can Fly was owned by Epic Games. Now People Can Fly is independent and owns the IP.

I agree about the high price, though. It should be 40$ maximum. I would sell it for lower price and aim for quantity to introduce more players to the IP, so when/if Bulletstrom 2 comes people would know about it.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-30-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

What's wrong with Skyrim remastered unless you're referring to the lack of SKSE or an ENB series as good as the original?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This is a very specific case. This remaster is being released by a different publisher. Why would Gearbox give you a discount if you previously bought the game from EA ? Not to mention the IP and the developer People Can Fly was owned by Epic Games. Now People Can Fly is independent and owns the IP.

I agree about the high price, though. It should be 40$ maximum. I would sell it for lower price and aim for quantity to introduce more players to the IP, so when/if Bulletstrom 2 comes people would know about it.
Why would Gearbox do that? To convince owners of the original to buy the new version, that's why. It's not a matter of publisher loyalty but lowering the threshold. I bought the Doom 3 BFG Edition on release on Steam because they gave me, as an owner of Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil a fat discount. I would have done the same for the Deus Ex: HR DC if I had the money at the time. The thing is, if you want me to re-buy a game that I already bought much cheaper within the same decade short of being a genuine remake you will have to drop the price a bunch.

As it stands now, I'll likely buy it for €5 far into the future, but if they would have offered it to me for three times that price now I might have gone for it. Besides that, I think €40 is still way too much for a game that is essentially the same but with a few new multiplayer maps, NG+ mode and some pre-order only Duke Nukem DLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
What's wrong with Skyrim remastered unless you're referring to the lack of SKSE or an ENB series as good as the original?
It's fine if you don't own Skyrim or the DLC, but if you already own the complete game it adds almost nothing. In addition to the things you mentioned it also fractures the modding community because mods have to be ported and maintained for two versions now, and Bethesda wants shit to go through their own website now (so they can control it) instead of the perfectly fine Steam Workshop.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I love Bulletstorm but that way too overprice...not sure Duke Nukem it silly.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

In all fairness SE was free if you already owned the full game.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:48 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
In all fairness SE was free if you already owned the full game.
That's about fair, but considering it breaks more than it fixes makes it pretty useless for owners of Skyrim complete. It's like ordering a meal at a restaurant and then getting another one for free but with tons of Jalapeños all over it. Yeah it's free, but does it really add something?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I like jalapenos.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Your butthole wouldn't like "a ton of jalapeños." Trust me.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Bruh, I've eaten Pho loaded with sriracha and jalapenos and my butthole was fine. Maybe you Dutch just need to build a higher tolerance towards capsaicin.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Try this:

Known here as "ají putaparió". "Puta parió" is an insult, so maybe you can guess why it's called in that way. It's a lot hotter than the jalapeño.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
That's a deal!

Last edited by Mane; 04-04-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I think the whole 'remaster' thing is a huge gimmic also. They rarely meet the old versions image quality, and they always remove options that were in the older version.
And even when this game came out, it wasnt worth $40. It is a very short game, what, 3 hours? Then afterward they tacked on a MP that no one played and was a seriously bad and buggy MP.
They said they were going to add a few maps, and a new campaign story, but I bet the new campaign story is about 20 minutes, and noone will play the MP and its extra maps.
It is obviously meant for consoles.
And, for PC they just removed the need for GFWL + the above.

So, I agree.
Obvious cash grab.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

when I saw the original bulletstorm I was hoping they were going to include what made painkiller great. Lots of secrets, challenges to do and so forth. Results, just weapon challenges, that are cute for about 30 minutes then tiresome. I thought I would like the humor but I found it to be stupid and childish. It probably would have been funny 20 years ago, the same way original duke nukem was funny. But you played DNF and it was the same thing. That style humor was no longer funny, now childish and stupid. The first was disappointing, I would not bother with this one, even if it were a free download. I just hope one day PCF releases something to do painkiller proud.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I disagree about the humor, that's completely subjective. Most games nowadays take themselves way too seriously, that's why I love Duke Nukem, Serious Sam and the like. And Bulletstorm fits that perfectly, I thought it was genuinely funny more often than not which is always a breath of fresh air.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:19 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

You forgot Lo Wang ��
Old 04-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

lo wang was pretty funny, at least in the first (recent) game. In the second it also lost a lot of the humor, perhaps because of the changes to make it coop. it no longer had a linear format
Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

The game uses Denuvo, so look out if that's your thing.