Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Default The Walking Dead Game

Okay, I'm not gonna write a really long thread about this. I'm just gonna say this:

If you like horror, suspense and thrills then this game is for you! Do you like having the ultimate effect on the happenings of the story? Do you like replayability where each choice changes a lot of the game? THEN BUY THIS ****ING GAME!

Honestly, it's immersive as hell and has great writing. It plays against you so well. Assumptions you make can be the end of you. Things you don't notice will also. Highly recommend.

Warning: Incredibly awesome death scenes.

Edit: Might I also add that the game is really good in terms of keeping it like the original story. (The comic), unlike the TV Show. If you liked the comic book, you'll love this. If you liked the show just as much, then you'll also love it. It's just that right amount of drama and zombie infestation that you need in a game.

Last edited by Pan; 06-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Default Re: The Walking Dead Game

You got my interest. Is it a subtle horror game then, no cheap jumpscares? Might check it out if I can get it cheap.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

I kind of stopped paying attention to zombie games. They've been way over used and it's past the point of being old for me.

I may look into this one since you like it so much, though. This is by Telltale, right? I still need to check out their Jurassic Park game.

Last edited by viper45; 06-30-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

That's what I thought too. But even overused genres can work if they have interesting twists on them.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

This is what a zombie game SHOULD be. Finzy, I know you'll love this.

I feel guilty about some of the choices this game has made me take. It's tested my own humanity. Do I kill this man or let him live? WHO DO I GIVE THE RATIONS TOO? Who should I save?

The scares are genuine. They are amazing and well thought out. I cannot recommend a game any more than I recommend this. Definitely in my top 3 games of all time and IM ONLY 2/5 PARTS IN. me and my friend hot seat played this and we swear our adrenaline levels went through the roof in the first 10 minutes of Episode 1. Episode 2 ups it a huge amount by making the choices you make alot more apparent.

The fact that the scares are also in the character interactions, and what people do to you is what makes this a classic. A game hasn't given me the shakes like this in so long.

Edit: Viper dont get Jurassic Park. It is a cinematic game made up entirely of QTE. It was a test game if anything. I'm in denial and pretend to like it, but the game has no replayability and is just so full of cheap action...

Last edited by Pan; 06-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
ƃuoɹʍ ʇı ƃuıop

First thing I'll be buying when I get back to Italy.

Thx for the head's up.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Just finished Episode 2. Wow, the decisions I'm making. God I'm doing it all wrong! =< I am not a good person, nor am I very clever it seems.

Edit: Glad to hear it Fo0d.

Last edited by Pan; 06-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  

So I watched a gameplay video of it, and the cell shading caught me off guard. All this time I thought it was a generic realistic zombie game, but it actually looked pretty cool.

Part of the video had the main character talking to the little girl, I think named Clementine. When the player picked a specific dialog choice, a notice popped up saying "Clementine will remember that". It'd be very interesting to see how the game changes based on your decisions.

I'm keeping a pretty small budget for Steam's summer sale, but if this goes on sale, I might pick it up.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Yeah, I play the game without notifications and any item spot give aways. So I don't know what person remembers what and where things are. Makes it a much harder game. One character pulled up something he remembered from last episode to use against me in an argument and that really took me off guard. XD

The art style is like the comics mixed in with computer graphics. It's neat as hell.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I have this since day 1
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboy View Post
I have this since day 1
Do you have anything else to say, or is that it?

It's like 3 guys are having a beer;

Guy 1: Man this beer sure is great. It has a nice tangy after taste.
Guy 2: Eh it's all right, I mean sure its cheap but I prefer ____.
Guy 3: I has a beer.
Guy 1: >_>
Guy 2: =V
Boomhauer: I tell you hwat man dang ol silly kids mang.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Pan was 100% right that I'd like this game. IN PAN WE TRUST.

This game is a roleplayer's heaven, totally not what I expected from a "mere" zombie game. It should be advertised more as a point & click RPG imo so it'll stand out.

Only thing that irked me out at first was the limited movement with some invisible walls and odd camera angles, but you get used to it fast. Awesome writing and voice-acting, you really care for all the characters and you CAN'T "game" this game, which makes it truly great.

Will post more opinions and the choices I made later once I've completed Ep. 2.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Ep. 1:

Was honest to officer at the start and Hershel later (which turned out to be a bad idea ). Offered not to leave Clementine and took care of her; everyone expected me to be her dad and I acted like it, saved Duck (though I would've really liked to save both, just went for Duck first as he was a kid)...Hershel got really mad about it and threw me out, and he knows I'm suspicious and even threathened me about it.

Tried to reason with Larry; failed; hit him; he gets a heart attack. Got in good with Clementine (helped dress her wounds and cheered her up) and the reporter girl, don't remember exactly whatshername, Chloe...no, Carley? Doug I didn't really care that much about, acted neutral on him. Also sided with Kenny. Didn't give the gun to the suicidal girl, gave Lee's brother "euthanasia", saved Carley, said she needed the help more, and told the Asian guy it was ok to leave. Larry knocked me out at the end but Kenny saved me.

Ep. 2:

Cut the guy's leg off at the start but he died and rose as a zombie anyway. Gave food to Clementine, Duck, Mark and Kenny. Offered food to Lilly but she said she wouldn't want anything from me so I gave it to Kenny. Sided with Kenny on arguments and told him going to the south was a good idea. Larry really hates me in this episode and constantly threathens me. Got in good with Mark since he's a military guy who seems to know what he's doing; he also sided with me against Larry. Didn't shoot the crazy lady in the woods, didn't suspect the St. Johns to be bad; was trying to be reasonable to everyone; told the St. Johns Lilly was the leader and didn't question her leadership.

Only Carley knew my past in this group and she promised not to reveal it and told me I would make a good leader. Gave Clementine her hat back but wasn't honest to the whole group about what happened in the forest. Wouldn't have wrecked the generator if I had had a choice and instead just waited for dinner but Kenny insisted that I check the barn door. After I did I got a lot more suspicious. After I found Mark I ran downstairs, stopped Clementine from eating, told exactly what happened and told her to run, told we could outnumber them, but got knocked out. Tried to save Larry but Kenny killed him, got Clementine to go through the vents and save us. Killed Danny. Managed to save Kenny's wife on first attempt. Left Andy alive. Stole the food from the car. Told Clementine it was okay because we're not bandits and we had to do it to survive, and that the St. Johns were bad people.

And yeah there are a lot of references to past events that have occurred. Clementine learned the word "manure" from me in Ep. 1 and uses it in a cutscene in Ep. 2 for instance, and Carley knows she sucks with batteries, and so on, lots of small to big details.

So, looking forward to the third episode. Only spent 6.2 hrs beating the game currently so it's not all that long and the price drop is quite justified. Also got a few lag problems in a few cutscenes that apparently are an issue with AMD drivers, but otherwise the game ran super smooth with all settings maxed out.

Heck I played the first episode and about 1/2 of the 2nd in one sitting so that ought to tell how good of a game it is.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
So, looking forward to the third episode. Only spent 6.2 hrs beating the game currently so it's not all that long and the price drop is quite justified.
It may not be very long yet, but the price you paid is for the entire series. If the rest of the episodes are the same length, then that's actually pretty long.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

EP 2
When we arrive at Farm and noticed very clean and awesome elec fence but I knew something creepy about it. I have watch redneck movies at the farm too much...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Is it just me or does the main character sound awfully much like the Coach from L4D2 at times?

Also the crazy lady in the woods sounded exactly like Dot from MadTV. So much that it almost made me lol cause it would fit her personality to be threathening to string your balls on a tree.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

MAH FRENDZ CALL ME COACH
Hey Finzy -
Dunno if you said it but I musta missed it - what did you do with the crazy bitch in the woods? I shot her in the face.

Yahtzee is reviewing this game this week according to his commentary on his latest LP.

Last edited by Pan; 07-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Tried to reason with her but Danny shot her.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Yahtzee seemed to dislike it and like it for the same reasons as me. That's good to know. lol
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Well finally played the two episodes and absolutely loved the game, thanks for the recommendation Pan . This game has been a wonderful experience so far, and can't wait for the newer episodes. I really wonder how much the different decisions will affect the storyline in the latter episodes.

The game makes decision making much more difficult and bears more weight. I guess I am just a nice guy and want everybody to like me, but it just isn't possible with this game. Hard decisions have to be made, which I guess is a pretty accurate portrayal of an apocalypse. Only letdown is that in some areas the decisions are kinda moot since it doesn't stop something from happening.

I liked the summary of key decisions at the end of each episode, looks like I at least sided with the majority on most decisions. One thing that had me stumped for ages, and finally had to resort to an online walkthrough...
The part where you have to try and save the trapped woman at the motor inn. You had to do everything in a specific order and I completely missed the pillow lying on the ground.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I'm glad you're enjoying it, NMR. I hated the fact that they introduced
Mark just so he could be murdered.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

It would be kind of interesting to...
Make only evil decisions and see if you could accomplish everybody hating your guts and seeing how that would affect the progression of the storyline.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Gonna have to buy the season 1 blu ray of this on TV if it's anyhow similar.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Worth it for sure. Season 2 is a bit slow but it picks up eventually.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Awesome.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

I have been waiting forever for Netflix to add more than Season 1 onto their instant stream. Maybe I will just have to rent the newer seasons at the box store or something.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
It would be kind of interesting to...
Make only evil decisions and see if you could accomplish everybody hating your guts and seeing how that would affect the progression of the storyline.
I don't think that'd work.
There's no real distinction between good and evil. Just decisions that will either benefit you and Clementine, yourself, the group or no one. It's not necessarily good vs. evil in terms of decisions, it's more like what outcome you want.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thumbs down Re: The Walking Dead Game

Now I realised long wait is not cool
Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Episode 3 is coming out tomorrow!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots