Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Sam Classic Mods

Serious Sam Classic Mods General mod discussion for Serious Sam 1 goes in this forum, also any tutorials/tutorial requests that have not been added to Serious Sam Wiki yet.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2001, 06:00 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

action quake and action half life are both great mods
so who's making the action version of sam?
Old 05-05-2001, 06:36 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Leprechaun, BOO!

Earthling is offline Send a message via ICQ to Earthling Send a message via AIM to Earthling Send a message via MSN to Earthling
AFAIK, no one.
OTOH, it might not make a goood mod for Sam.. I dunno. BTA, you could use the slow motion feature of Serious Sam... It might work.

P.S. :biggrin:
Old 05-05-2001, 03:33 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

yeah
but the sam engine would make for the best real-world game
aside from that whole surviving any fall thing
Old 05-05-2001, 06:48 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

You'd know that that's an easily solveable problem if you had any idea how to make mods - I think that unless you have real (only basic, but still know your arse from your elbow) mod development skills, you shouldn't start spouting mod ideas..

Just my 2 pence though =)
Old 05-05-2001, 07:19 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Sevnus is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sevnus Send a message via AIM to Sevnus
No one can do an action mod unless its the A-Team they are the creaters of Action Quake and Action Half Life and soon to be Action Unreal Tournament.  A-Team has all rights to it, so talk to them.  If anyone else tries to do it then they will be in deep shit.

-SeVN
ICQ#  44894108
Old 05-05-2001, 07:54 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

No they won't - the action mods are only narrowly avoiding copyright problems themselves by changing the names of the models! You seen Mr T? Hell - they even have the whole A-team (as in the series) modelled and playable!

As far as I know, nobody has copyrighted the 'action' name. Heh, I don't think there's a single idea in that mod that hasn't been stolen either =)
Old 05-05-2001, 11:38 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
I ate something fun

Caid is offline Send a message via ICQ to Caid
a) no one can
b) no one should

the action games are a trademark of the a-team (who currently suck ass) and they aren't making an action mod

IMO, an action mod for serious sam would suck donkey balls
and i'm a BIG aq2 fan, trust me here

edit: max, you are wrong. the a-team models are 3rd party, first off. back in the good ole' days of q2, the bulk of mods were created by 3rd parties. aq2 'ships' with NO maps. as well, (and i know this first hand, i am absolutely sure, i've heard this form the horse's mouth do NOT argue me on this because i am abhsoultely totally 100% right on this) holds copyright on all action mods. you CANNOT make an action mod without it being foxed.

(Edited by Caid at 11:41 pm on May 5, 2001)
Old 05-06-2001, 06:42 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

You wouldn't have to name it 'action' dummy!

I've always been a great fan of AQ2 as well (and it DID ship with plenty of maps), but the most recent version of action half-life does kick serious arse - honestly. I think it really recaptures the spirit of AQ2.

Anyhow - why the hell couldn't someone make an action mod for sam, eh? You'd just have to rename it to something else, as the A-team doesn't have a single copyrighted idea in their game (apart from the name perhaps), plus, AQ2 and AHL are both third party unofficial mods.

Hey - wait - they can't just copyright the 'action' name - I know a hanfull of old games whose titles begin with 'action'!!

Also, whoever reads this, please remember that this is caid speaking - the very angry individual who went on a spamming frenzy trying to convince everyone that Counterstrike was the worst mod ever, and the work of the devil, and anyone who enjoyed it was stupid..

I don't think an action style mod for sam would be a great idea - more single player levels are needed at the moment - but there's nothing stopping anyone from making an action mod!
Old 05-06-2001, 12:41 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
I ate something fun

max, if you want to be contradictive, fine, be my guest
but the bare facts of this are:
a) action mods are a property of te ateam, and they can and will take you to court if you try to name your mod action
b) aq2 did NOT ship with ANY MAPS. the only .bsp in the official a-team release was credits.bsp. you are confusing the AQMD, an originally 3rd party website, for the a-team releases. yes, there were map packs, but they were all 3rd party.

max, i have pm'ed you with everything you need to realise that me = right and you = wrong
please, as a matter of respect for that MB, do not give out the address

as well, remember urban terror? that mod sucks! any action mod has the invariable goal of bringing to life some of what made aq2 great, which is impossible without codestealing. aq2's fun factor = q2's physics engine, to that end, making an action mod as good as aq2 is next to impossible* especially in the serious sam engine, as sammage's physics are as far from q2's as you could ever imagine.
and besides, you'd have to call the mod ASS

*another PM

(Edited by Caid at 12:44 pm on May 6, 2001)
Old 05-06-2001, 01:28 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I'm not contradicting you, so don't get so riled! I just said that you WOULD be able to make an action mod for sam, but it couldn't be officially called 'action'. Simple enought for you?

Oh - and thanks for those PM's - I won't spread around any URLS, but those guys are so screwed.. Direct rippage is SO not right.

I was suggesting that someone do a mod SIMILAR, not IDENTICAL to the previous action mods, and with a different name. Doing a direct rip of a previous version, or even copying models and maps down to the slightest detail is bound to get you in sooo much trouble.

There is nothing in the world stopping a dedicated mod team (who have the time and effort to tweak the sam physics engine to their needs) making a really good mod in the mould of action, but given how young the sam modding and mapping scene is, I'd prefer to see some more single player maps, maybe a new enemy, gun or two, and some extra textures first =)

(Edited by Max Damage at 6:41 pm on May 6, 2001)
Old 05-06-2001, 01:54 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
I ate something fun

md: that url i sent you? that's what they're doing
they've been working at it, from scratch for awhile now. no rippoffs, just a buncha ppl who REALLY know their aq2

(Edited by Caid at 1:54 pm on May 6, 2001)
Old 05-06-2001, 02:14 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Though, making a total TOTAL copy of everything, and only changing two letters in the title is bound to cause trouble =)
Old 05-08-2001, 06:54 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

it may futz up gameplay, but the slowdown and "freezeframe/revolving camera" effects are really john woo-esque.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:01 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Quote: from Cincinnatus on 6:54 pm on May 8, 2001
it may futz up gameplay, but the slowdown and "freezeframe/revolving camera" effects are really john woo-esque.

the kill that ends the round would freeze the game, and everyones view would spin around the dieing body as it falls to the ground in slomo

omg
that would totaly own

(Edited by BirddoG at 7:01 pm on May 8, 2001)
Old 05-08-2001, 09:34 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

"I think that unless you have real (only basic, but still know your arse from your elbow) mod development skills, you shouldn't start spouting mod ideas.."

Hmm ... so in other words, creative people shouldn't be allowed to say anything, just because they don't know how to get it to work?

That's a good idea. Just imagine all the things we would be without.

I'm quite sure the first caveman who wanted to kill a mamoth at a distance, wasn't quite sure how to maul it to death with his hands, if he couldn't reach it, and it's obviously a stupid idea anyway.

And I'm quite sure you will agree with me that JFK should just have kept his mouth shut about the whole moon thing. That was another stupid idea right?

Which reminds me of a quote "opinions are like assholes" ... so what are you?
Old 05-09-2001, 01:49 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

I think at this point it's relly about time to say:
LET IT GO
It was a simple question that was answered right right away and that's all there is too it
This bickering is useless and has acomplished absolutely nothing besides taking away time and space from this section. This thread was a question, NOT an idea i wanted to share and create a fuss over, for that matter it wouldn't have been an original idea anyway.
If you don't like it or think it wouldn't work, then you should just say so.
Maybe i should have simply directed my question straight to the A-TEAM, but i didn't. So maybe it's my own fault
Whatever your reasons, my question was answered right away and that should have been the end of it.
LET IT GO
Old 05-09-2001, 03:53 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Don't worry 'k' - I'm not going to flame..

What I meant hektor, is that you should at least get some idea of each engines limitations, abilities, and tweakability before you come up with mod ideas - then you won't say anything stupid that'll get you flamed, or invent an idea for an impossible to make uber-mod.
Old 05-12-2001, 02:03 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Just call it "Serious". The serious mod for serious sam. heh
Old 05-12-2001, 02:53 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

that works very well actually
Old 05-12-2001, 02:57 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
I ate something fun

i'd like to see a good action mod for the game i love, i just don't think it's pheaseable(sp???) without heavy HEAVY coding and even heavier testing, and more coding
Old 05-20-2001, 02:14 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Lacutis is offline Send a message via ICQ to Lacutis
You guys are right about the A-Team holding rights to the Action name.

However I have been thinking about making a mod based on Dirty Q2. Which in case you are unaware was very similair to Action Q2 except it added alot to the game.
Old 05-22-2001, 08:37 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

I specially love the double mp5
and double handgun too

It would be great if you start a similiar project Lacutis!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and a finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. --> Ezekiel 25:17"
Old 05-22-2001, 11:01 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Lacutis is offline Send a message via ICQ to Lacutis
You think?

http://www.unimatrix01.org/lacutis/sdirty/sdirty001.jpg
Old 05-26-2001, 09:36 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

WooT!!!!!

wehre ar teh dives?!?! hehe

i think SS is really a great engine to do a mod like that.
Good Luck!