Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
I cant download ink

Default English To Be Declared the National Language of the USA (maybe)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060520/...ration_english

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The White House took both sides in a dispute over English being the national language Friday as a broad immigration bill moved toward a final Senate vote next week with one conservative predicting it will never become law.

Bush's support for the dueling sides doesn't stray from his long-held view on learning English, said White House press secretary Tony Snow.

"What the president has said all along is that he wants to make sure that people who become American citizens have a command of the English language," Snow said. "It's as simple as that."
---

My two cents: I completely and fully 100% support this. I dont like Bush but thats beside the point, this topic I agree with.

The biggest problem that stems from not speaking english is that a very high percentage of the people that do not speak english are not here legally, and that causes massive problems in a primarily english speaking country. The biggest of which is segregation. Put the two together and we will have a split society, and a lot would assume that people who speak spanish are immediately criminals, which isnt entirely true. But once that stigma is branded it will be even harder to get rid of. If they want to come to the US, great, speak english and become part of our country. If immigrants dont learn to speak english, thats what creates the segregation.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
:]]llll(696)llll[[:

cyborgguineapig is offline Send a message via AIM to cyborgguineapig

I agree
Old 05-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Nyan Cat

I can understand why there is a great deal of support for this in the legislature: propoganda does not effect people that cannot understand the language.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
I cant download ink

Hey I just want them to be able to get my order right when I say NO MAYONAISE! Que es ese por que?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Ronin

This English language thing is a simple issue: you must speak the language at a basic level to become a citizen. Now, if these damn Mexicans want to have the chance to become American citizens they need to learn the language that's the most prevalent. Once they do become citizens and know some good English skills then they are ok. There are many different citizens from different nations who have already taken that step and are citizens to this day, yet keep their cultural values.

Why is it so damn hard for the hispanic population to realize this? Because, they think that they live on a 'border nation' they have the right to come here and become citizens illegally. F$ck them bastard freeloaders. It's very beneficial for them to work in our fields to pick our crops and our factories since nobody else will do it. If they come up with a program for temporary worker status that's cool. I'm all for it for them to work in jobs we citizens don't work in.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
master misspella!

EpShot is offline Send a message via AIM to EpShot

no, its jsut that when your hidign from immagration, workign logn huors for piddly wages, fitting in english is hard. but most have they're kids learn in school anyways.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
I cant download ink

And that requires spanish speaking teachers and all of the material in the classrooms to be printed twice, costing taxpayers (and lets face it, illegals dont pay income tax if they dont want to be caught, IE private contractor, under the table, etc) twice as much to teach english speaking children english.

I've seen some of these kindergarden classrooms recently, and every class around here has maybe two or three white kids. Its not a mix, its literally 95% mexican children.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
The Village Idiot

berbano is offline Send a message via ICQ to berbano Send a message via AIM to berbano

It isn't often that I will agree with Bush, but this is one topic that I have to. Between my 2 jobs I deal with a lot of spanish type people.

In my main job (being a warehouse worker) all of the spanish guys speak english so there isn't a problem since it is the company's rule. With my 2nd job in a sunglass store, at least 3 times a day (more on the weekends) groups of Mexicans/Latinos whatever you wish to call them, walk into the store ask if we speak Spanish, in Spanish of course, then when I or one of my co-workers say no, they get a really annoyed look in thier faces and walk out of the store grumbling to themselves. Would it really be that difficult for them to have to learn English to make everyone's life a little easier in the long run.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Is that American english or British english?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

Berbano, it's even more annoying when you get a summer job as a valet and you end up supervising three mexicans (in VA, mind you, I'm nowhere near the border), one of whom doesn't speak English and the other two have broken English. How are you supposed to tell the people who work for you what they're doing wrong if they can't understand you? How are they supposed to communicate with customers?
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:00 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper
How are you supposed to tell the people who work for you what they're doing wrong if they can't understand you? How are they supposed to communicate with customers?
The immigrants think you should learn their language even though they aren't the boss or whatever.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus
Yer kidd'n right?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
ijubnsgrziuh

Damn, right they should learn english. When I go abroad it's nice to have people know a little english but I don't get angry if they don't, it's my responsibility to learn their language and play by their rules. If I didn't want that I'd stay in England
Old 05-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
( . Y . )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus
Canadian English of course.

really, it's news to me that you americans don't have a national language. here i always thought you did have your official national language as english.

Coolest Site Ever
Old 05-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Why would we since we've been the immigrant capital of the world since day one?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
I cant download ink

Its one of those unwritten law type things. Big thing about immigration is its not just Spanish speaking immigrants, we get immigrants from everywhere. However most other immigrants come here with the understanding that to get along in this country they need to speak english. We cant have a truly multilingual multinational society where every stop sign is printed in english, spanish, french, german, japanese, gaelic, russian and korean. For us to function as a whole, we need to be on the same page, where STOP on a stop sign means just that and is understood by everyone.

The overwhelming number of spanish speaking illegal immigrants that refuse to learn the language is what is causing the numerous problems. Before this we havent really needed to declare a national language. Sure there are swells in the different languages that people speak, for a while, german was very common in some states, as was Dutch, and Irish (like during the potato famine), but for the most part they learned to speak english and function as part of our country and contribute, and this is not what is happening with the mexican population.