Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Serious Sam + Steam + Steam Matchmaking = new life

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2372/

The tools are now available to add steam lobby system to any game. How great would it be to put life back into the old classics. To be honest the gamespy stuff works great, but putting sam on steam and introducing a steam lobby system, I think that would bring a tremendous number of new players into the game. Anyway, likes I says, nothing will likely happen on this, but would be good if croteam opened the source or allowed a 3rd party to implement. SSAM Forever, are you listening?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian
Default Re: Serious Sam + Steam + Steam Matchmaking = new life

Croteam should release the Serious Sam 1 source at some point, everything from game code to engine. It is a shame that very few developers follow iD Software's example.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

I would really love to see this happen. Croteam should be releasing the source code to SS1 by now.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Definitely, if they want to keep the game alive. We did get a message that they're looking into this from the last steam thread in offtopic, so if they get their games on steam, this should be a priority as well.

Also, once again, go Valve.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
TwL
Gone Again

Maybe it is just me, but I feel that the matchmaking system in L4D can do some more improvements...
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwL View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I feel that the matchmaking system in L4D can do some more improvements...
I prefer a serverbrowser to matchmaking systems. Matchmaking systems have too many issues. How many times have i had L4D go "connecting" after seraching for like 2 minutes, and then a moment later have it end in "server full". I know that i won't avoid those situations with a serverbrowser, but i can definately manage to find a game that isn't full in less than those 2 minutes it sometimes takes L4D to go through the servers.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

The point is not how great the L4D matchmaking service is, the point is to get it up into the steam apps along with friends list, join ability, and so forth. Yeah, you can do a lot of that already, but instead of with dozens of people (maybe) it could now be tens of thousands. If I have buddies I like playing with I might follow them from CS to L4D and then into Sam...
Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

I would so buy all the games from CroTeam.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
EEs
Kamikaze

I would not like to see serious sam on steam because then I have to buy it again. The problem is that I live in EU and steam weirdly enough charges EU more than US
(something for in US costs $50, costs €50 in EU. €50 EU = $75)
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Talk about bumping and old thread. But now that you already bumped it, I'll comment on what you posted.

What you said about Steam is also true of retail stores, so the situation wouldn't be any different in the absence of a Steam version. The only country in Europe that doesn't seem to have the pricing of games adhere to the same USD = EUR principle is the UK. Which is why it is often advantageous for Europeans to order games from UK sites - as even with the added cost of shipping it often comes out cheaper than buying it from a store (internet or brick-and-mortar) in your own country.