Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #301   Add To Ignore List  
kef
Kleer

Default Re: Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass revealed

Some hi-def stills from the video:

https://i.imgur.com/7kGz2aS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yYiRWp8.jpg?1

Last edited by kef; 07-01-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #302   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I like the gloves with cut fingers. It's classic Sam
Old 07-02-2018, 04:19 AM   #303   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I hope we'll see something soon that makes it look less like a Sam 3 mod..

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #304   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I hope we'll see something soon that makes it look less like a Sam 3 mod..

this exactly.

as much as i'm hyped for ss4 i really hope they make it look different... something just doesn't look right (yeah i'm aware it's early alpha but still). something like a new animation system, or new post-processing effects could do the trick. just can't wrap my head at what exactly is it making it look so old

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 07-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #305   Add To Ignore List  
kef
Kleer

animations, and placeholders aside. I can see considerable improvement over Talos graphically. Its no Battlefield 1, but still great.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #306   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

For me the whole thing about riding, or scouting, or whatever, and then little battles, then move on and fight another small clump, then move on, REALLY smacks of part of why I didnt like SS3. I dont like that small clump of enemies to fight, repeat a few times, then throw us into a HUGE battle, and then rinse and repeat. It messes up the pacing of the game (for me). It doesnt feel like a Sam game.
It feels like they have stretched the SS engine to the max or something, and this is what we get in the end, and they HAVE to make this type of gameplay.
I get that we need to rest a bit from the huge battles, but it just makes it a totally different game for me.
I dont care if we have to have loading to do one big map, and then cutscene to load another map. I dont mind that 'retro' kind of thing. I dont care if the gameplay is seamless or not. I actually prefer the map loading and have a great map with scripted gameplay.
But, I guess everyone is on the open world bandwagon.

But, again, here is hoping for a great story where this kind of gameplay makes sense.
SS Reboot FTW!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:52 AM   #307   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

It's not open world. I see it more like DooM (1993) in bigger scale. Non-linear levels, with linear game progress. The story will lead you from one corner of the map to another, certain zones will be locked and you must find a way to unlock them (which will require driving arround the map). But the levels will have exact start point and exact end point, which will lead you to the next level. Something like Valley of the Jaguar. This level have a bit of non-linearity, since you have to walk several times through the valley.

All of this is just personal suggestions, of course.

Last edited by Serious Sam(BG); 07-03-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #308   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
It's not open world. I see it more like DooM (1993) in bigger scale. Non-linear levels, with linear game progress. The story will lead you from one corner of the map to another, certain zones will be locked and you must find a way to unlock them (which will require driving arround the map). But the levels will have exact start point and exact end point, which will lead you to the next level. Something like Valley of the Jaguar. This level have a bit of non-linearity, since you have to walk several times through the valley.

All of this is just personal suggestions, of course.
It would be nice if the driving areas would mainly act as like the hub or the central point of the level connecting to other areas; (of course with enemies in the driving areas), and then some stop over areas that make it feel like a level like in SS3.. (Such as from getting from point A to point B, then going back in the vehicle to go to point C) which is linear, or other levels like a large levels with connections to points/zones A, B, C, etc in a level before going to the exit.. But a couple of non linear parts within a level would be nice, but it would be best as you said to have the non-linear major levels..

Though in saying that it would have been fun to have a vehicle like a motorbike (but not fast one) in Valley of the Jaguar in the outdoor areas before getting those 2 other jaguars and just running over monsters with it (with perhaps the areas being extended to allow for driving a long way with the vehicle). (This is just an example).

I am also not sure if the vehicle in SS4 is permanent (i'm not sure what to say about that like a personal vehicle), or like before vehicle areas where you need to use it to have something like one or two vehicle pads or park zones and then if the vehicle happens to get destroyed it re-spawns in that area (say an open park area or within a garage to be realistic).

It would also be good a vehicle that could actually fly (or hover) such as a hover bike (or a Sirian one or something), or a military aircraft ...
Old 07-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #309   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

Thousands of enemies are a pitfall, IMO. There are several scenarios:

- If you kill one enemy per second, killing for eg. 1000 enemies will take too much time
- Or, if you can kill 50 enemies in a blink of an eye, it doesn't even matter
- Or, you don't need to kill all enemies and just run past them. Then, why even bother?

I don't worry about story progression and missions, it has been done in thousands of different games before. Just wonder how it ties into combat.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #310   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Unless however there are enemies that itself generates more enemies; such as the lava gloem upon death, or one that generates enemies while they're alive. But other than that, I think kamikazes can be killed quickly (especially in clusters). If there's 1000 in one go and close up they all blow up. Maybe crash the computer as well (if the memory card is crap)..
Old 07-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #311   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
It would also be good a vehicle that could actually fly (or hover) such as a hover bike (or a Sirian one or something), or a military aircraft ...
Actually I have wonder why they make it so that the vehicle can only travel so far, like it ends at a cliff or a roadblock. I would kinda like to be able to keep the vehicle longer and drive further around (I guess with given amount of gas). Also, as mention, be able to fly or hover it, and park/drive on/over buildings. Could imagine SS troll laughing by while passing enemies (and no need for the middle finger).
Old 07-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #312   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Id appreciate an open world Serious Sam there can be many awesome things done with it. Just lookin like SSBFE at the minute which should be changed and obviously will be. I hope they are gonna do an awesome Job to implement that into the old Serious Sam feeling which i think can be done easily.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #313   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

It's a breath of fresh air to finally see a new game in the making. I expect a beautifully crafted experience akin to the classics, don't really care much whether it's linear or more open as long as it's done well, even though I'm more of a linear guy when it comes to shooters.

Apparently it will feature up to 100K enemies on screen, which I can reply to with "good luck with that!" Seriously though, perfectly doable if they find an interesting workaround, like making one or several AI responsible for controlling a large group of baddies and thus increasing performance tremendously instead of running a 100K dumbed down AIs that would still result in your PC exploding.

Boy does it feel great to be back after so many years, though!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 AM   #314   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

It's more like "100K enemies at once, in one plane, but that doesn't necessary means they'll be on your screen at once, so don't calculate pixels per enemy, because it's stupid. Even more that some enemies will be closer than other, which means the ones from the back will be hidden behind the one in the front, and also, they'll be spread at 360 degree arround you, not just in the 90 degree field of view in front of you"
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #315   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT View Post
Actually I have wonder why they make it so that the vehicle can only travel so far, like it ends at a cliff or a roadblock. I would kinda like to be able to keep the vehicle longer and drive further around (I guess with given amount of gas). Also, as mention, be able to fly or hover it, and park/drive on/over buildings. Could imagine SS troll laughing by while passing enemies (and no need for the middle finger).
Yeah in terms of hover vehicles they should generally put limits like not being able to above buildings or stopping at a cliff, or if it's an abyss another area it should block the player or let them fall (but then it blows up at the bottom) although that would make it a bit harder in some areas.. Fuel would seem like an idea or something like that..

Theres another thing if the hover vehicle can go above (or fly above) it should usually be able to fly up so high until (say it can't go any higher) so you don't go all the way to the top of the level, but only above a majority of buildings, except for really tall buildings. That means there could also involve other things there like secrets, ammo stashes, or just ramming into (e.g. a beast / demon) or a sniper on top of a building. Also it would be a good vehicle for running into the witch harpy enemies as well.

The middle finger would be something funny to have (like on GTA) but i'd doubt it'll be in .. Or maybe some kind of taunt - like Serious Sam just taunts if you press a key, whether he'll make a comment, or do something..

As for the PC performance and the large number of enemies, perhaps it could be solved normally by using mipmaps, and automatically adjusting the value the greater the amount of enemies, (e.g. improving performance, reducing polys for enemies in the back), but apart from that it would still need to calculate AI, which I am not sure how that would work for a large amount of enemies.

I also notice on the classic Serious Sam, that if you actually (e.g. on Serious Editor) build a large map, place enemies there and put the player start over 1000 metres or something, they appear to not respond to the player but it only happens when you use a turbo cheat; or if you have a moving brush that moves fast.. So to me it appears that the enemies AI becomes deactivated or something.. (I am not sure on how I'd explain it properly...)

Last edited by Buzzy; 07-12-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #316   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
I also notice on the classic Serious Sam, that if you actually (e.g. on Serious Editor) build a large map, place enemies there and put the player start over 1000 metres or something, they appear to not respond to the player but it only happens when you use a turbo cheat; or if you have a moving brush that moves fast.. So to me it appears that the enemies AI becomes deactivated or something.. (I am not sure on how I'd explain it properly...)
As far as I remember there is distance at witch the enemy responds. You can set it up. Also there are other options like deaf enemy, blind enemy etc...
Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #317   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
vehicles... Fuel would seem like an idea or something like that..
Yeah, but not 5MPG. A "full tank" should be able to travel 400 miles? Oh wait... the trailer shows motorcycles... but still, not 5MPG.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #318   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

I also wouldn't be sure on what kind of fuel it uses on the motorcycle but i wouldn't think they'll be a limit to the fuel as thinking about looking for fuel sometimes (if it's scarce) would either increase the action / tension in the gameplay or keep the player worrying about the fuel running out. But I do notice it does have a supply in the back but I would guess that it would be an ammo supply ..

Quote:
As far as I remember there is distance at witch the enemy responds. You can set it up. Also there are other options like deaf enemy, blind enemy etc...
Yes I think it would be to do with sense range and activity range causes the idle sounds ..
Old 07-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #319   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
It's more like "100K enemies at once, in one plane, but that doesn't necessary means they'll be on your screen at once, so don't calculate pixels per enemy, because it's stupid. Even more that some enemies will be closer than other, which means the ones from the back will be hidden behind the one in the front, and also, they'll be spread at 360 degree arround you, not just in the 90 degree field of view in front of you"
It's worth mentioning that if you saw 100,000 people in real life most of them would still just be distant specks.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #320   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
100K enemies
Kinda reminds me of one of my favorite arcade in good 'ol days... Robotron
Old 07-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #321   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Man, it sounds like most people would be happy with a Mafia 3 type game and/or gameplay.
I would hate to see that happen.

But, at least we have something to talk about now, for a few more weeks until this hype dies down.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:37 AM   #322   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I think the hype already died... We've saw everything that leaked so far, discussed it, so the forums are quiet and dead again.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #323   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
Man, it sounds like most people would be happy with a Mafia 3 type game and/or gameplay.
I would hate to see that happen.
It's already been said 1,000 times that SS4 is not going to be open world...
Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 AM   #324   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

New article from PC Gamer, with some bits of new information: https://www.pcgamer.com/behind-the-s...planet-badass/

Quote:
The demo deposits Sam ‘Serious’ Stone in the middle of the French countryside. He’s about three kilometres away from his target; the town of Carcassonne.
Quote:
“Since humans are a stubborn race and not cooperating, Mental is sending the Harvester Motherships (huge spaceships hovering over cities) to convert humans into his fighting force. In the Harvester Ships captured humans are transformed into the ‘Processed’ enemies and they are ‘deployed’ back to Earth.”
Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #325   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Well apparently according to GameWorldOfficial they also released the trailer video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ0IySGbQRM

Although they said on the title it was open-world but I believed this did come out about more than a month ago. But I swear that this video did not appear at that time (as if it disappeared from listing) but im not sure as well. It also clearly states in this article that it isn't an open world game.

But I am looking forward to some of the features that are coming it like the horde mode and all.. By far it seems like a great article and liking some of the new stuff that is coming out.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #326   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Dono why, but this "Legion"system sounds like a lazy way to make large-scale battles. What's actually the new in it? What will be different compared to the classic battles - all monsters running to you. Does this formula needs advanced AI, that controls a horde? Is just a hardware optimisation system? Will the enemies spawn far from eyesight and run to you for sometime before they enter in the eyesight of the player? Questions, questions, questions...

Like in DooM and DooM 2 - in DooM you have well choreographed battles and DooM 2 is swarming horde after horde... Which, compared to the weaker level design put a red mark on that game for me.

Last edited by Serious Sam(BG); 08-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #327   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
New article from PC Gamer, with some bits of new information: https://www.pcgamer.com/behind-the-s...planet-badass/
I was having a severe case of deja vu, until I realized I already read the magazine.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #328   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Dono why, but this "Legion"system sounds like a lazy way to make large-scale battles. What's actually the new in it? What will be different compared to the classic battles - all monsters running to you. Does this formula needs advanced AI, that controls a horde? Is just a hardware optimisation system? Will the enemies spawn far from eyesight and run to you for sometime before they enter in the eyesight of the player? Questions, questions, questions...

Like in DooM and DooM 2 - in DooM you have well choreographed battles and DooM 2 is swarming horde after horde... Which, compared to the weaker level design put a red mark on that game for me.

With Doom I just notice monsters randomly moving around .. If you go behind a wall and all (e.g. an Imp) would start moving randomly or wander around and then shoot fireballs at you when they see you.. Similar for most monsters.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #329   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
It's already been said 1,000 times that SS4 is not going to be open world...
And, I never said the gameplay would be, or might be, open world.
I said "it sounds like MOST PEOPLE would BE HAPPY with a Mafia 3 TYPE GAME and/or GAMEPLAY"

You know, responding to those people who said they wouldnt mind if the game was open world?
And, I was amazed at how many people thought that.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #330   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Most people? No, no way.