Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam

Serious Sam This is the place to discuss anything that either spans multiple games or doesn't fit with one specific game!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Zumbul

Default Suggestions for TF2-style weapon alternatives.

In this thread you can post your suggestions for new weapons that you could use instead of the stock weapons.

Why? Because I think weapon switching between missions could work in SS. In fact it already does! With mods like these you already can taste a bit of this idea. With the difference that you have to commit to your weapon choice for entire play session (not one map) and in multiplayer everyone have to use it as well. IMO balance changing weapons are the most interesting mods if the moder wants to make alternatives instead of straight upgrades.

Revolver mod for example gives you more powerful weapon that replaces stock pistol in BFE. It can take smaller enemies in one hit. But it comes with downsides like slower firing speed, longer reload time, smaller clip. But the most important one is that you cannot trigger kamikaze pain animation since it kills it in one shot.

For the defaults in this thread we will take the TSEHD weapons with their HD balance: flamethrower/laser destroys projectiles, minigun have stronger bullets than tommygun, grenade explosion doesn't trigger nearby grenades, no reloading (infinite ammo weapons are an exception) etc. Although I think revolvers could take only one weapon slot so we can have 2 infinite weapons slots like in SS2 (but maybe revolvers could use alternative fire to hide one revolver).

https://i.imgur.com/EdYuhoI.jpg

Tips for making weapon suggestions:
  • Give your weapon a purpose but let it be viable on other things as well. For example Grenade Launcher is crazy good against Cucurbito the Pumpkin but it is still good on other enemies. That is how I think most of the weapons should work in serious sam. You can have your favorite weapon and use it for the most of the time. You are encouraged to switching weapons because some are a bit better against some enemies. But you are not forced to do so unless you run out of ammo. Or punished for not doing it unless you play on higher difficulty levels (which is fine imo).
  • Keep in mind projectile destruction and pain animation of specific enemies since you can balance weapons around those.
  • Do not balance weapons around ammo/ammo consumption too much. Make it so players want to switch to other weapons even when they play with infinite ammo.
  • If you like weapons from other SS games then you can add them here as suggestions. Don't be afraid to change their stats a little bit to your liking.
  • Don't focus on exact numbers. Those need play testing to get right. Instead provide the intentions for making the suggestion.

Those are my examples:

Zap Gun
https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/serious/images/9/9d/Zapgun_2.png
2nd weapon slot (infinite ammo)
  • Fires a single projectile. The power of the projectile depends on how long the fire key is held down.
  • Charged shoots can destroy bigger enemy projectiles.
  • Doesn't need reloading.
  • Have slower firing speed when compared to revolvers (even when spamming uncharged shots).
  • Uncharged shot has lower dmg when compared to revolvers.

This isn't the direct copy of SS2 weapon. When I was playing SS2 I was surprised this weapon couldn't shoot down the enemy projectiles. I wanted to change that in this suggestion. It would be easier to destroy certain projectiles compared to revolvers since the hitbox is bigger and when using charged shoots it could even destroy some projectiles that revolver can't. However revolvers still could be better on some projectiles since it have higher firing speed and it hits the target instantly. I also want this weapon to have lower base damage so it can trigger the pain animation 2 times on kamikazes. In SS2 the projectile was able to auto aim and the speed of the projectile was slower with the charge. I'm not sure about those. But I still want the projectile to get bigger with charge.

-----

Laser Cannon
http://i.imgur.com/LGFgdYu.png
7th weapon slot (100 max ammo)
  • Fires laser beam. Duration of the beam depends on how long the fire key is held down.
  • Ammo consumption depends on the charge (shorter charge = less ammo used).
  • Beam hits enemies instantaneously (hitscan).
  • Destroys and pierces enemy projectiles (no damage lost).
  • Doesn't pierce enemies.
  • {MAYBE} Single tap will not shoot out any beam, you have to chare it for a while to have any effect.

This is a replacement for the Cannon. You can think of this weapon as a super minigun with perfect accuracy with the charge mechanic. Single tap will deal rocket launcher-levels of damage (maybe it should have some charge needed to have any beam but with more dmg? I'm not sure). When you charge your laser cannon and release the fire key the weapon will shoot out laser beam for some time by itself.

Unlike the regular Cannon it cannot pierce enemies so you won't be able to go bowling with Sirian Werebulls. But since it is a hitscan weapon you can shoot down those pesky Adult Arachnoids/Aludran Reptiloids/Reptiloid Demons on the second side of the planet with ease. And because charged beam last for some time you can switch targets after you kill one enemy. So potentially it could be better against more scattered groups of enemies.

I also thought about beam being bigger/wider with charge so it could hit multiple enemies. The center still would be perfectly accurate but with chare it would have additional invisible bullets around it. But I'm worried it could be too powerful compared to the regular cannon.

Weapon was inspired by Laser Rifle from super crate box (hence I decided to recolor the ghostbuster to yellow).

-----

Plasma Cannon
http://i.imgur.com/V3wVfrb.png
7th weapon slot (60 max ammo)
  • Fires big plasma particle that flies in a straight line and gains speed over time. Plasma particle pierces all enemies dealing constant damage as it touches them but when it gets enough speed it explodes on any enemy.
  • Explodes on contact with any surface regardless of the speed.
  • Projectile blocks hitscan attacks. It also destroys and pierces all enemy projectiles (no damage lost).
  • {MAYBE} Any damage done by projectile causes flinch animation.
  • Weapon shoots out the projectile after small delay.
  • Weapon cannot be charged for additional damage/speed.

Another replacement for stock cannon. It has the same max ammo as cannon and the projectile with full speed deals the same damage as fully charged cannon. It cannot be charged up. However the weapon charges up itself before shooting the projectile so there is small delay (it takes less time than to fully charge the default cannon). I added it so the weapon truly feels different to use. It also balances out the additional perks. It is easier to kill stationary enemies from far away since the projectile flies in the straight line. This is the only weapon that can destroy all enemy projectiles (kleers chains, minor biomech lasers etc). You can use it as shield to block off those Arachnoids hitscan bullets but it forces you to stand in specific spot for it to be effective so it shouldn't be OP. Also it won't be as effective against moving enemies. The damage done by the projectile in the slow piercing state would be around minigun/tommygun DPS.

Additionally maybe it could cause the flinch animation no matter how much damage it dealt. Then it could be used to stop waves of the enemies for a while (like with flamethrower and Zorgs). And since it always starts as a slow projectile it could be needed addition to make it more viable. Some enemies do not have pain animations so they won't be affected. Also it will be worse against syrian werebulls compared to regular cannon. It will be even worse than the laser cannon since bulls are fast and they will run past it very quickly. Also it will be worse against closer encounters with major biomechs since it needs to fully speed up to explode on them and deal full dmg. I'm usually against secondary fire but maybe this weapon could need one that would allow the player to detonate the particle prematurely just to make it better in those situations.

I want the explosion trigger to have smaller hitbox that the entire particle because I'm afraid that otherwise it will hit walls/trees/columns all the time. The explosion caused by the collision with terrain could deal damage depending on the speed of the projectile. Even the explosion radius of the explosion could scale with the speed (so there is less chance that player will kill himself by accident).

Maybe the projectile could even cause damage in the area outside the particle itself? I decided to use Plasma turret icon from SS2 to demonstrate that I want at least the same size of the projectile. Tho the starting speed of the projectile could be slower (maybe rocket launcher speed or even a bit slower?).

This weapon is an attempt to have SS version of BFG that isn't exact copy and that fills some niche gameplay mechanics. The inspirations came from many places. This is the most complicated weapon concept I ever made. I promise that the future ideas will be less complex and will be for other weapon slots.

(I will add more suggestions here)

Last edited by majan_pl; 03-15-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Default Re: Suggestions for TF2-style weapon alternatives.

A replacement for the rocket launcher that fires arrows or bolts instead of rockets that deal the same amount of damage and travel faster but don't have an explosion. this makes it do it isn't nearly as good against groups of enemies, but better against enemies that are alone.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Maybe for replacing the Sniper Rifle, a Railgun designed a la the UT2004 Shock Rifle, or with a more original design from Croteam should be very suitable.

Has a fire rate kind of like the SS3 Sniper Rifle
Can kill larger enemies such as a Major Biomech or Arachnoid
No reloading

Might edit this, but I personally like it so far.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by majan_pl View Post
  • Fires a single projectile. The power of the projectile depends on how long the fire key is held down.
  • Charged shoots can destroy bigger enemy projectiles.
  • Doesn't need reloading.
  • Have slower firing speed when compared to revolvers (even when spamming uncharged shots).
  • Uncharged shot has lower dmg when compared to revolvers.
https://cache1.24chasa.bg/Images/Cache/229/Image_4180229_126.jpg
Old 02-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Zumbul

I have added Laser Cannon suggestion to the first post.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Zumbul

New weapon added:
Quote:
Plasma Cannon
http://i.imgur.com/V3wVfrb.png
7th weapon slot (60 max ammo)
  • Fires big plasma particle that flies in a straight line and gains speed over time. Plasma particle pierces all enemies dealing constant damage as it touches them but when it gets enough speed it explodes on any enemy.
  • Explodes on contact with any surface regardless of the speed.
  • Projectile blocks hitscan attacks. It also destroys and pierces all enemy projectiles (no damage lost).
  • {MAYBE} Any damage done by projectile causes flinch animation.
  • Weapon shoots out the projectile after small delay.
  • Weapon cannot be charged for additional damage/speed.

Another replacement for stock cannon. It has the same max ammo as cannon and the projectile with full speed deals the same damage as fully charged cannon. It cannot be charged up. However the weapon charges up itself before shooting the projectile so there is small delay (it takes less time than to fully charge the default cannon). I added it so the weapon truly feels different to use. It also balances out the additional perks. It is easier to kill stationary enemies from far away since the projectile flies in the straight line. This is the only weapon that can destroy all enemy projectiles (kleers chains, minor biomech lasers etc). You can use it as shield to block off those Arachnoids hitscan bullets but it forces you to stand in specific spot for it to be effective so it shouldn't be OP. Also it won't be as effective against moving enemies. The damage done by the projectile in the slow piercing state would be around minigun/tommygun DPS.

Additionally maybe it could cause the flinch animation no matter how much damage it dealt. Then it could be used to stop waves of the enemies for a while (like with flamethrower and Zorgs). And since it always starts as a slow projectile it could be needed addition to make it more viable. Some enemies do not have pain animations so they won't be affected. Also it will be worse against syrian werebulls compared to regular cannon. It will be even worse than the laser cannon since bulls are fast and they will run past it very quickly. Also it will be worse against closer encounters with major biomechs since it needs to fully speed up to explode on them and deal full dmg. I'm usually against secondary fire but maybe this weapon could need one that would allow the player to detonate the particle prematurely just to make it better in those situations.

I want the explosion trigger to have smaller hitbox that the entire particle because I'm afraid that otherwise it will hit walls/trees/columns all the time. The explosion caused by the collision with terrain could deal damage depending on the speed of the projectile. Even the explosion radius of the explosion could scale with the speed (so there is less chance that player will kill himself by accident).

Maybe the projectile could even cause damage in the area outside the particle itself? I decided to use Plasma turret icon from SS2 to demonstrate that I want at least the same size of the projectile. Tho the starting speed of the projectile could be slower (maybe rocket launcher speed or even a bit slower?).

This weapon is an attempt to have SS version of BFG that isn't exact copy and that fills some niche gameplay mechanics. The inspirations came from many places. This is the most complicated weapon concept I ever made. I promise that the future ideas will be less complex and will be for other weapon slots.
I realize that the weapon looks super complex on paper but I'm sure that ingame it would be super intuitive to use. If you play Overwatch imagine this:
  • Symetra altfire+shield in one
  • It gains speed with time
  • When speed is maxed it explodes on enemies
  • Explodes on terrain regardless of speed

Last edited by majan_pl; 03-15-2017 at 02:30 PM.